ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
SoonToBeZ4Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Question Switching to non run-flat tires?

What are the pros and cons of switiching from the run-flat tires on a 2003 Z4? Is it possible? Is it adviseable? I have heard that non run-flat tires provide a softer ride and last longer. BUT . . . what happens if you get a flat or blow-out and you have non run-flat tires? Is there even a way to jack-up the Z4? Thanks for insights and info.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

It's possible, feasible, and advisable. I'll be honest, I'm biased on RFTs. They're expensive, noisey, overly hard/harsh due to the necessary sidewall constuction, and difficult in many cases to repair. A good set of real tires belongs on a car like the Z.

As far as tire issues, get a tire-fix kit/pump (like this one) and a tire plug repair kit. The "M" version comes with a tire sealing goop and a little cig lighter plug in pump. Many of us supplement that with a tire plug kit (Google "tire plug kit").

As for tire options themselves, it depends on your needs (performance, all-season needs, weather/location). In your case you might do well with an good summer performance tire for the warmer parts of the year and snow oriented for winter. Conti DWS might be worth looking at as you could run the DWS year round if you want one set. If you don't plan to run in snow/cold/winter, and plan on driving hard or doing autoX or tracking, then car a more performance oriented tire would be indicated.

What are your needs/goals for this car/tires?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
h100250
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2003 3.0 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeZ4Owner View Post
What are the pros and cons of switiching from the run-flat tires on a 2003 Z4? Is it possible? Is it adviseable? I have heard that non run-flat tires provide a softer ride and last longer. BUT . . . what happens if you get a flat or blow-out and you have non run-flat tires? Is there even a way to jack-up the Z4? Thanks for insights and info.
I switched over to regular tires a couple of months ago, the ride is mucho smoother and I like the grip also. Do like everyone says and just get a pump and the fix a flat combo that comes with it from wally world. I also bought the patch kit, now I also went over board and carry a full size spare, you don't have to do that. its a lot of weight and I'm seriously contemplating taking it out, because now what little trunk I had is gone and that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I switched to Conti DWSs and got a spare with a bag to throw in the trunk. It was worth every penny. I would never go back to those awful run-flats. I run the Contis all year long in Chicago driving in ridiculous snow last winter and it was great. I would recommend it without a second of hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
SoonToBeZ4Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Thanks a bunch . . . to each of you. Makes sense. I live in Colorado, so I'll try the Conti DWS for all year wear. By the way, I'm originally from Chicago (inner city) and grew up with the hot, steamy summers and the cold, freezing winters. One tire that is good for both seems that's the way to go. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Biggest pro for run flast is.....when you have a tread explosion(LIKE I DID) you can keep going..con ride can be harsh...and when you need to replace them do it ride gets reallllly brutal....but It gives me serious peace of mind when I have mine on them....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
craig147
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0i. E85

Will non run flat tires fit on my stock OEM wheels that currently have run flats on them?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Yes, regular tires fit the stock wheels just fine, if it was an issue someone would have probably mentioned it.
      10-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
craig147
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0i. E85

That's great. Thanks for the quick response.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
bluebaron
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

I put non-RFT Michelin on the back, the front tires still have tread so left the RFTs on, seems the car 'swims' a bit now and handling is a bit touchy, anyone have experience on having non-RFT and RFT on the car at the same time. 2006 Z4 3.0Si
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I had a mix of all season on the front and summer on the back, I hated it. It was fine in a straight line, but long sweeping turns messed with the traction control.
      11-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

One odd thing I noted with my run flats is:

They replaced the rears when I purchased her. So I really could not justify replacing them. After 10,000 miles when it came up again that just the rears needing replacing...I made the mistake of having them put the same thing back on. It is very odd after 10,000 miles the tires they felt much better. I would venture to say that the sidewall starts to breakdown or give more with age? Then again I am not a tire engineer so I may be full of crap. With the tires feeling much better (I thought I was just getting used to the RFTs). The new ones tramline horribly, I am looking forward to 10,000, miles form now, as I will not make the mistake again. On certain roads I feel like I am fighting her to drive.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

I have been considering switching to non-RFTs when I need to get some tires. Especially because of all the discussion of tramlining which I notice on certain parts of I-5. Last time I was at the BMW Parts Center at my dealer, I was talking to the guy behind the counter about tramlining, switching to non-RFTs and getting the Mobility Kit. He said that tramlining is NOT caused by the RFT tires but instead caused by sport tires. There are so many people on this forum that have been driving Z4s for years that swear it is the RFTs that cause tramlining and I tend to believe them over one person behind the parts counter. However, now he has me wondering...
      06-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
bluebaron
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Following up, having RFTs on the front only became so problematic I put non-RFTs on, now have Michelins all around, don't regret it for a second
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loogey Clapp View Post
I have been considering switching to non-RFTs when I need to get some tires. Especially because of all the discussion of tramlining which I notice on certain parts of I-5. Last time I was at the BMW Parts Center at my dealer, I was talking to the guy behind the counter about tramlining, switching to non-RFTs and getting the Mobility Kit. He said that tramlining is NOT caused by the RFT tires but instead caused by sport tires. There are so many people on this forum that have been driving Z4s for years that swear it is the RFTs that cause tramlining and I tend to believe them over one person behind the parts counter. However, now he has me wondering...
He is correct when he tells you that some 'sport' (aka: Low profile) tires can contribute to tramlining but the stiff sidewalls of the RFT tires aggravate the problem tremendously.
I switched to Continental Extreme Contact DWS and my tramlining is totally gone. The DWS tires are smoother and quieter and give superb traction.
The added benefit is that I will have great traction below 40 degrees instead of 4 hockey pucks.
Ask yourself why BMW does not install RFTs on the Z4M but instead uses real performance tires and provides the M a tire inflation kit for emergencies. I carry a can of Slime fix-a-flat, a small Slime pump and a plug kit (all of which I carried and never used on my motorcycle)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I hate RFTs. I have a donut spare and jack that I keep in the car when I go far from home (mini road trip). Otherwise when in town I just drive around with regular tires and if I get a flat I'll call a family member to bring me the spare. It's always in the garage to throw into the trunk when needed.
Appreciate 0