ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

HPDE musings

So here is a recap of LCMT (Mont-Tremblant) yesterday
7 bimmerpost members were with me, out of the 80 participants.
Mostly 335s and M3s. Others were Z06s, 911 GT3, 911 Carrera S, Mustangs, lots of E46s, and a couple of Audis and an Toyota Echo.

I was in the intermediate group. This was my 9th HPDE day. I have previously gone to Calabogie (Ontario), LCMT (Quebec) and ICAR (Quebec)

1st session all is good except I seem to be rough in my inputs.

2nd session.. smoother, faster... spin right before bridge. 1 wheel picks up debris, gathering grass, pebbles dirt in between rim and tire. Spoke with track marshall to figure out what happened.
View post on imgur.com

Lunch time BBQ after I had my tire demounted, and remounted at gas station to clean the crap out of them. OZ is scratched but I don't really care about it.

3rd session great but kept DSC on... which is a hindrance.

4th session was half wet (DSC on) and half dry (DSC off) very smooth and some fun with a fellow student in an Audi for 3 laps.

Drive home, had to stop, seems I have a slow leak from the front tire that went in the grass. Pressure were 41, 34.5, 41, 41. So I will need to have that checked out.

This morning I checked my tire pressures... 33.5, 37, 33.5, 33.5
So that tells me I didn't have a leak, and the extra air I added scewed it up. Fixed it while they were cold.
Car is at the dealer, hopefully having her brakes done, alignment, new wipers, and check rear suspension for what seems to be shock covers (rubber) that are detached.

Now I had registered to Watkins Glen next week, but the event has been canceled due to some asphalt repairs that need to be done on the track before the upcoming IRL race. I'm sad.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

LCMT is a GREAT track.

I am thinking about making it up there again with the Boston Chapter this August. It appears COM will also have a couple of days up there before BMW CCA, so it could be 4-5 days in a row.

WGI is a really fast track. Make sure to bring extra pads and consider installing cooling ducts on the front rotors.
      06-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
LCMT is a GREAT track.

I am thinking about making it up there again with the Boston Chapter this August. It appears COM will also have a couple of days up there before BMW CCA, so it could be 4-5 days in a row.

WGI is a really fast track. Make sure to bring extra pads and consider installing cooling ducts on the front rotors.
Well the Patroon Chapter event at WGI was canceled. So maybe next year. As for COM at LCMT, I just might sign up for that. Would be a first with them.

Also my brake pads and rotors are being changed right now. So new brakes will certainly feel better. 25000 kms on the first set (that includes 9 track days)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

COM is a great bunch of guys. They do time trials for fun on one of the days. Check them out: http://www.comscc.org/
      06-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Still debating what event to register to... I will probably go with BAB XII with Boston BMW CCA at Tremblant. But is the COMSCC group a real HPDE on the 1st day (an instructor riding shotgun in each car) ?

So my dealership has done my brake pads and rotors, all new OEM. So the new Hawk HP-10s will stay in their box for another while.
They have adjusted my camber in the front to the maximum possible.
New windshield wipers...

So the car is ready for the next event... probably Calabogie in July.

Our North-Eastern Track Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Still debating what event to register to... I will probably go with BAB XII with Boston BMW CCA at Tremblant. But is the COMSCC group a real HPDE on the 1st day (an instructor riding shotgun in each car) ?

So my dealership has done my brake pads and rotors, all new OEM. So the new Hawk HP-10s will stay in their box for another while.
They have adjusted my camber in the front to the maximum possible.
New windshield wipers...

So the car is ready for the next event... probably Calabogie in July.

Our North-Eastern Track Thread
Did the dealership give you a print out of the results of the alignment? Did they add ballast?
      06-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Did the dealership give you a print out of the results of the alignment? Did they add ballast?
Great question even though I have no idea what ballast is ?
I have the print out.. but it's in my car. A 20 minutes train ride away. I will check it out this evening and post results.

As a matter of fact, I think the results page is in french... I will try to translate if it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Great question even though I have no idea what ballast is ?
I have the print out.. but it's in my car. A 20 minutes train ride away. I will check it out this evening and post results.

As a matter of fact, I think the results page is in french... I will try to translate if it is.
For general alignment and ballast info: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

As far as I know, French numerals look and read just like English numerals
      06-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The first day of the COM event should be HPDE, but I don't see the details of their schedule either. I suggest you send them an email for clarification if you are interested.
      07-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

I just did my first COM event last weekend at NHMS. It was a lot of fun, and they are indeed a good group. The 2nd day at LCMT will be a time trial day as well. 2 practice sessions in the morning, time trial session in the afternoon, and then some open track time. You do need a COM competition license though. I got checked out on the HPDE day and got a licence, but if you are running in the intermediate group with BMW CCA, you most likely need more experience to be able to get the license.
      07-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably join them next year if they go to Calabogie or Watkins Glen or Mosport.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Just came back from Calabogie. Kinda hot and sweaty on Saturday but was overcast Sunday so the temps went back under 30 degrees celcius. Great group of people.
Nothing special on track, apart from a few Porsches, a Viper Coupe, Hondas, Audis, Minis, Mustangs, Subarus Stis, and a multitude of BMWs. Lots of Ms.

I was signed off early Saturday to go solo. So there's another milestone passed.

Day two went very well. I realized that most in the intermediate group also had improved greatly from day one. Harder to catch up and pass the high HP cars.

Lots of different lines were taken by the group. Nice to try them out and find the one that suits me the best. I even caught myself powersliding through the series of turns at the Quarry. Temptation is still iffy. Jacques & Gilles, The Brow and the Quarry Complex are down pat.

Last session, I did three flying laps to then cool down and quit early since fatigue was present.

I'm looking forward to doing more Calabogie next year. This track has a lot of complex turns (off-Camber, late Apex, early-apex, Blinds, diminishing radius etc. Makes me like LCMT even more for the freedom and speed you can achieve. Both great tracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Video of last Session

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Great video! You were really moving out there. Where did you have your camera mounted? It looked like a perfect spot/angle. What type of camera?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Great video! You were really moving out there. Where did you have your camera mounted? It looked like a perfect spot/angle. What type of camera?
Thanks for the compliment.

The camera is mounted right on the plastic top over the cubby hole. I use a GoPro Wide HD, and it comes with a multitude of attachments, one of which is a curved stick-on adapter. It fits perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

3 days with BMW Boston Club coming up (this Friday till Sunday). More video to come.

Car is ready. Brake fluid changed. Engine Oil changed. Brake cooling ducts obstructions taken out. Wheels changed. Car Tech inspection done.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:24 AM   #17
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Day one of three done.
The lack of participants (due to the economy) has given us the privilege of Open Track. Which means we go on and off whenever we see fit.

Weather was great, cool temperatures and a few short showers. The track would dry up fast and stay dry 90% of the time.

Watching the videos I took with the GoPro, I'm very consistent in my times.
Did one off-track excursion. Came in too hot at the carousel, had to go straight on grass and gravel. No harm done.

I will see if I break the 2 minute lap today. We will know after the day is done.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #18
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Nice driving. Looks like a great track.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
Nice driving. Looks like a great track.
It is! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Recap of my three-day weekend at LCMT (Tremblant)

First things first. The Boston BMW Club and their Bimmers Across the Border XII was great. We got perfect weather ranging from 6 to 19 degrees celcius. Quite comfortable.

Friday was a hoot with the open track format.
Saturday we worked on late and very-late passing situations. There was more traffic so I didn't get to challenge my 2 minute lap time. We are defended to time our laps at the event but in the evening, I review the footage taken with my GoPro Camera to check lap times.
On Sunday, I again got close with 2' 01" on a couple of occasions. I worked on driving off-line at all corners and running through the marbles.

I am at the level where costs of this habit will start climbing fast.
I need to swith my front tires (re-mounting, re-balancing) since the outer left side of my front driver side tire is worn too much.
I have to start thinking of:

Racing seats
Harness (4 or 5 point)
Extinguisher
Camber kit
Coilovers
Sway brace
Cryogenic brake rotors
Track brake pads
New tires

Now if I go R-comps (half the guys in the advanced group had them) I will need to think of renting a tow vehicle and a race trailer. R-comps would be fun but I want to keep learning with the High Performance street tires. But I getting closer and closer to the R-comps.

Tremblant has become my home track. I have been there 9 times (track days) now. Will be going there again on August the 21st and 22nd.

Anybody have suggestions on how to keep getting the car and me better gradually? In what order should I do these next improvments?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

Can you not get a hitch put on the vehicle and get a tire trailer? It would save you in the long run.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

I might go that route... still sad doing this to my M Coupe
Appreciate 0