ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
dtkwan
Rep
Drives: Z4

Z4 Mesh Wind Deflector, missing strap

I am missing a strap (with the metal hook at the end). Done anyone know where to get a replacement?

Name:  wind.png
Views: 1323
Size:  375.1 KB

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Strange, I'm missing that same one.
Someone hoarding them?
      09-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

can't, they wont sell it seperately. I basically use a thin strip of velcro that fits that.

If we can find someone to build it and do a group order or something..
      09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I have two straps that I found after thoroughly inspecting my car shortly after buying it in July. I'm pretty sure that they came from a wind deflector that was purchased by the original owner.

I'm currently on vacation, back on Saturday night, so I can take a picture of what I've got and measure them some time next week.

They probably won't mail well in a regular envelope but a small Jiffy mailer (bubble padded bag) would probably work. Let me see if what I've got is what you guys need and we'll figure out how I can get them to you (with a massive profit to me of course! JK!)

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
dtkwan
Rep

Hi SD Z4MR,

Look forward to hearing from you. Please PM me when you return from your vacation.

Thanks, David
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Ill take one if one of the two above bails out. Lmk
      09-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I bet an upholstery place (or even a tailor) could make up a new strap pretty cheaply, if the above person doesn't have the right strap. The dealer will rape you for a whole new deflector I bet.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
dtkwan
Rep

It is more than just the fabric strap. There is a metal hook at the end which is harder to manufacture.

--David
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkwan View Post
I am missing a strap (with the metal hook at the end). Done anyone know where to get a replacement?

Attachment 746087

Thanks.
OK, I'm back from vacation, and as promised, here's a picture of the straps that I found in my car. After looking at the picture that you posted, I'm pretty sure that these came from the middle and are not the side straps that you need. If anyone else needs these straps, let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
tennman
Rep

I would like one if still available.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi SD Z4MR,

Look forward to hearing from you. Please PM me when you return from your vacation.

Thanks, David
I tried to PM you but you have apparently disabled private messaging as the option did not come up for me.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

can you measure your strap and put a ruler on it ? I have access to machine shop, I think I can make those metal end and cut the hole for the strap loop and get the velcro sew on. Of course paint them black.
      09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
dtkwan
Rep

Hi SDZ4MR,

Don’t know why the PM is not working. Please send me an email dtkwan@yahoo.com.

Thanks, —David
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi SDZ4MR,

Don’t know why the PM is not working. Please send me an email dtkwan@yahoo.com.

Thanks, —David
If you click on my username to the left of this post you'll see an option for "Send a private message...". This option doesn't appear when I click your username, so you must have this option turned off.

To turn on Private Messaging, click on the "User CP" link above. Click on "Edit Options". Scroll down to "Messaging and Notifications", "Private Messaging", and make sure that the "Enable Private Messaging" checkbox is checked. To make sure that you know when you've received a PM, check the two boxes "Receive Email Notification..." and "Show New Private Message...".

I want to make sure that the straps that I have is the one that you want. The strap that you have highlighted looks like an adjustable strap and is on the end or side of the windscreen. I don't have the windscreen so I don't know if the straps are all the same or not, but the straps I have came from the middle.

rsutoratosu has spoken for the second one.
tenman has also requested one, if you don't take the first one.

rsutoratosu, the strap alone is ~7.25" long and ~7/8" wide but is folded over and stitched adding about another 0.5" although the amount of overlap is probably not critical. Overall length of the strap and metal hook is ~8.5". Each Velcro patch is ~2.5" long. The metal hook is ~1-3/8" long from the bend to the long end. The length of the bent over portion is ~5/8" long. The width is ~1-1/8". The size of the hole is probably not critical as long as the strap fits through and the overall length of the hook and strap is correct.

FYI, I'm leaving on an out-of-town trip tomorrow morning and won't be back until Tuesday next week, I have a bunch of stuff to get done by tonight, so I have to put this on hold until then.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 09-14-2012 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
dtkwan
Rep

Hi SD Z4MR

I got this msg when I log in. Looks like I haven't posted enough to earn the privilige to use PM

"Thank you for verifying your account. In order to use the PM system, you will have to have 5 posts under your belt and wait 24-48 hours after the 5th post before your account is upgraded. "

Anyway, the strap shown in you picture will work for me. I only need one. Please send me an email and we can work out the details.

Thanks, --David
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
If you click on my username to the left of this post you'll see an option for "Send a private message...". This option doesn't appear when I click your username, so you must have this option turned off.

To turn on Private Messaging, click on the "User CP" link above. Click on "Edit Options". Scroll down to "Messaging and Notifications", "Private Messaging", and make sure that the "Enable Private Messaging" checkbox is checked. To make sure that you know when you've received a PM, check the two boxes "Receive Email Notification..." and "Show New Private Message...".

I want to make sure that the straps that I have is the one that you want. The strap that you have highlighted looks like an adjustable strap and is on the end or side of the windscreen. I don't have the windscreen so I don't know if the straps are all the same or not, but the straps I have came from the middle.

rsutoratosu has spoken for the second one.
tenman has also requested one, if you don't take the first one.

rsutoratosu, the strap alone is ~7.25" long and ~7/8" wide but is folded over and stitched adding about another 0.5" although the amount of overlap is probably not critical. Overall length of the strap and metal hook is ~8.5". Each Velcro patch is ~2.5" long. The metal hook is ~1-3/8" long from the bend to the long end. The length of the bent over portion is ~5/8" long. The width is ~1-1/8". The size of the hole is probably not critical as long as the strap fits through and the overall length of the hook and strap is correct.

FYI, I'm leaving to on an out-of-town trip tomorrow morning and won't be back until Tuesday next week, I have a bunch of stuff to get down by tonight, so I have to put this on hold until then.

thanks, im going into the shop sunday, ill see what metal I can use, yeah hole size isn't important, as long as I can cut one and get the strap through and sew velcro on it. I might end up using a long velcro strip to sew in instead of a regular strap with velcro on it
      09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
STIHLBOLTS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2020 Z4 M4.0i  [5.00]
Its funny how those straps go missing, I kept my web wind screen and the dealership transfered to the M and managed to loose 2 straps. Luckly they did not hurt anything and you can not tell they are missing unless you knew they were gone.

If anyone else comes up with a couple that doesnt need them I would be interested in two.

Regards.

2013 335is E93
2018 X5 35d
BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi SD Z4MR,

Thanks, David
I'm finally caught up after my recent travels and the ridiculous temps (100+) we've been having are finally low enough to venture outside. Your strap went out in the mail today. I found out we had some "used" bubble-wrap bags so I used one of those. Postage was only $1.95 so I'm not going to sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
Ill take one if one of the two above bails out. Lmk
The second strap is ready to go as soon as I get a reply to the PM I send earlier today requesting your address. Shipping will be the same $1.95 First Class to Chicago and again, I'm not going to sweat it.

Sorry it took so long for me to get a chance to send these out!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
GreatFrog
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0i, 03 330i ZHP

Sorry for bump up the old thread, but how do you strap the thing in place? I am missing the two straps also, but people say it will still fit snuggly without them.
Appreciate 0