ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2022, 11:55 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Need a new car cover

Ok, I tried searching for car cover, "car cover", car+cover and I got no results, so I'm starting a new thread.

My '06 Z4 M Roadster, which used to live in the garage, started living in my driveway in front of the third garage door when I bought my '16 M4 in July 2016 (my wife's '18 M3 occupies the second spot in the garage). I've used a BMW OEM car cover, made by NOAH for the last six years. It's a soft flannel-like material that NOAH calls "Barrier Fabric". It's supposed to be an indoor/outdoor cover that can be used year-round in all climates, but it's not cutting it. It's coming apart at the seams again, this is my second one, and I need something more durable.

Things I like about this cover:
  • It's custom fit for the E85 Z4 Roadster and literally fits it like a glove, with snug elastic across the entire front and rear ends which go under the bumper covers.
  • It has pockets for the mirrors and can be used with the mirrors out or tilted up
  • It has a plastic grommet on each side for a cable lock to prevent the cover from blowing off/getting stolen. It fits so well it's never even come close to being blown off even in 25+ MPH winds.
  • It has a clear window in the back so that the license plate shows (required in some areas)
Things I don't like:
  • It's "highly water resistant but breathable". I live on a canyon ridge in San Diego, so dust filters through the cover and gets deposited on the car, but a microfiber duster gets this off pretty easily.
  • It's not waterproof, but that is a minimal issue in San Diego, where we usually get occasional light rain, but at times, also heavy, torrential rain. Then the dust that filtered through leaves a mess. 90-95% of the time the covered car is sitting in the sun.
  • It's just not durable enough

So I'm looking for recommendations for a car cover that meets these criteria that people have actually used and like.

(If anyone who has better search skills than I do can point me to previous threads, that would also be appreciated.)

Picture of existing cover for reference:
Attached Images

Last edited by SD ///M4; 07-18-2022 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
WAGMI20.50
      07-18-2022, 12:50 AM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Googled this….

https://www.google.ca/search?q=z4+ca...%20car%20cover
      07-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Mine's a Covercraft, I think. PO included it with the car when I bought it. Fits in all the ways you describe, all the features too. It even came with the security cable. I don't use it much, and never outdoors, so I can't be of much help beyond the fact that Covercraft covers would be a similar fit. (I do have to remove the antenna.)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
If I wanted instructions on how to Google I would have asked, but I think I mastered this several decades ago.

I specifically asked what covers people have used and what they recommended because I want feedback about what's good and what's not, not just a list of covers.

So while you've demonstrated your simple mastery of Google, you utterly failed at reading comprehension.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Mine's a Covercraft, I think. PO included it with the car when I bought it. Fits in all the ways you describe, all the features too. It even came with the security cable. I don't use it much, and never outdoors, so I can't be of much help beyond the fact that Covercraft covers would be a similar fit. (I do have to remove the antenna.)
I've looked at Covercraft before. I like how they have multiple categories of protection, tailored to the specific protection that you need, and some even come in multiple colors (or even multi-colored, if that's your thing). The Sunbrella or Weathershield HD model appears to be what I'm looking for with max UV protection or dust protection. But they are definitely pricey! Over $600 for the best UV or dust protection! But at least it has a 6 year warranty.

I have to remove the antenna as well, although the bare thread poked a hole through the fabric. I found a plastic cap that fits over the thread and I reinforced the area with masking tape.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 07-18-2022 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0