ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #23
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
To be honest, it's really a tiny fucking car and is easy to take care of, esp with no back seat. If I saw one even partially trashed, you know there was no love from the get go.
      12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
To be honest, it's really a tiny fucking car and is easy to take care of, esp with no back seat. If I saw one even partially trashed, you know there was no love from the get go.
Yep. A full detailing session (wash, clay, light polish, wax, wax, and interior cleaner + leather care) takes about 8 hours, and that includes downtime to wait for the wax to lightly cure before applying the 2nd layer. It used to take 2.5 hours just to wash our old 545i, takes 2 days to wash, polish, and wax. Plus the 2 door format with hatch leaves very little edges and openings for water and polish to be trapped in.

As for the interior, the Z4 interior has always reminded me of what BMW did with the Z8:

Simple, clean, elegant, with a hint of nostalgia but just enough of it to make it TIMELESS. That interior would have belonged in a car made in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and would still look cool another 20, 30, 50 years from now.

That's the thing that has me disappointed in BMW's direction lately. The goal for the introduction of iDrive was to try and keep the interior clean and simple. But with each iteration and generation of BMW, it's starting to look more and more cluttered and the "button creep" keeps coming back. Now, the interior are just as cluttered as the E36 and E46 era with all the EDC, DSC, Power, Shift pattern, and what-not buttons, but without that elegant, driver centric feel.

IMO, do away with the iDrive, and make the majority of the secondary controls and commands voice control or touch screen. CPUs and entertainment systems now-a-days are more than sophisticated enough to do all that for you.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

IMO, do away with the iDrive, and make the majority of the secondary controls and commands voice control or touch screen. CPUs and entertainment systems now-a-days are more than sophisticated enough to do all that for you.
Absolutely ... Hell, cellphones are more powerful, just plug them in and let Siri and/or whatever android bitch do all the work.
      12-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
+1 sooner or later I'll have to remove mine, cause it looks bad already
Exactly what I have done with mine! I prefer my car so much right now without it.
Appreciate 0