ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Abtin
Rep
Drives: bmw z4

2003 z4 Best aux input? Also, can the head unit play mp3's from a dvd?

Hi everyone,
I just got a 3.0 z4 and am thrilled to join you all on the forums.

I did some searches on various forums and couldn't find a definitive answer to my question.
I know there are a lot of options for aux inputs for this car and i can't decide.
My primary concern is that, one, i can plug in my mp3 player (ipod nano or anything else)
Two, that the audio quality be as good as a cd
And three, it be less than $100 US.

I read that the $80 kit (with ashtray/coin tray) from bavarian autosports is good but quality may not be great.

Also, i need to make sure it will work with my specific car since it has sport and premium packages with cd changer and nav.
I am willing to give up my cd changer if i have to.

Also, does anyone know if the head unit can read mp3's off a dvd? I figure maybe i can just toss a ton of mp3 files on one and do that instead.

I greatly appreciate any help!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtin View Post
Hi everyone,

I did some searches on various forums and couldn't find a definitive answer to my question.
I know there are a lot of options for aux inputs for this car and i can't decide.
My primary concern is that, one, i can plug in my mp3 player (ipod nano or anything else)

I read that the $80 kit (with ashtray/coin tray) from bavarian autosports is good but quality may not be great.

Also, i need to make sure it will work with my specific car since it has sport and premium packages with cd changer and nav.

Also, does anyone know if the head unit can read mp3's off a dvd? I figure maybe i can just toss a ton of mp3 files on one and do that instead.

So the simple answer is NO...the head unit can not read a DVD for music or anything else for that matter.

Here is what I bought for my car.... works fabulous.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverline-DUO...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Technical Details
Integrated Controls - Can be controlled from head unit, steering wheel, the connected device or the optional wireless remote.
Text Display - Song Title, Album, Artist and Playlist are show on the head unit's display
SIRIUS Satellite Radio or AUX - Enables SIRIUS SC-1 tuner or other portable SIRIUS tuners to be connected and controlled. Port can also be used as an AUX input for any external audio device with optional Aux cable.
User Update through USB - Firmware updates ensure vehicle and portable device compatibility.
Internet Radio Ready - Command and control internet radio when connected to iPhone

I was lucky to get it for $99, but even at $119, this is a steal. The Dice unit "Silverline-DUO" is the latest for our cars.

And you can control your iPod from your Factory Stereo, steering wheel controls, and Ipod. Text display available on some models (I have the Business CD and works great). As well additional Aux Audio Input for extra audio devices (such a ZUNE, or other mp3 player, etc).

As far as quality....I'd say this is certainly CD quality music, as it really makes my 10 speaker system shine now.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=5836166

I hope this info helps.

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector

Last edited by bucko521; 04-23-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

The radio supports AUX, all you need to do is plug a cable into the back. The official Z4 AUX kit comes with a new ashtray. On 2007 and 2008 cars the AUX is pre-installed into the removable panel under the A/C controls. You can get the cheaper kit for the E46 that doesn't include the ashtray and put the AUX port wherever you want (like the panel under the A/C controls)

The quality of the radios in the Z4 somewhat varies. People with the Z4M often complain about poor bass and of the quality of the AUX. My 2004 with DSP has some nice bass and the AUX sounds great, even better with a line out dock adapter for my iPod. I don't really notice a difference in quality between the CD player and my iPod. MP3 playback didn't happen until 2005, you can add a CD Changer that will play mp3s even if the dash radio does not, and no Z4 will read a DVD (other then the map disc in the nav computer)

edit: there is no reason not to add the BMW AUX input
      04-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Hi everyone,

The later units can read MP3 off of CD. My 2007 does this just fine, and displays the CD name, folder, and song info on the Nav screen. I wish it could read MP3 off of DVD though, you can get an ungodly number of tracks on a dual layer DVD. As it is, I am averaging 8 to 10 CDs worth of material on one CD-R in MP3 format using Easy CD-DA Extractor (uses LAME). Record with the ID3V tags enabled, turn on the data capability in the menu options and the info displays on the NAV screen............... an alternative to hooking up the ipod for those with CD burning capabilities. I do wish the system would show the CD/album artwork though. I burn these with the album cover art attached. Plays on the computer screen just fine, and when downloaded to an ipod shows on that screen too, but for some reason the bimmer system only displays the song/folder info, no album art, bummer.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Jon-G
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0

I've a 2004 z4 and I'm thinking of adding the aux- the car has nav and the carver dsp hifi upgrade- does anyone know if this makes any difference to the aux kit? The kits that replace the multichanger for iPhones do require extra kit, hence the question.

Thanks in advance..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-G View Post
I've a 2004 z4 and I'm thinking of adding the aux- the car has nav and the carver dsp hifi upgrade- does anyone know if this makes any difference to the aux kit? The kits that replace the multichanger for iPhones do require extra kit, hence the question.

Thanks in advance..
The radio supports AUX, all you need to do is plug a cable into the back. The official Z4 AUX kit comes with a new ashtray. On 2007 and 2008 cars the AUX is pre-installed into the removable panel under the A/C controls. You can get the cheaper kit for the E46 that doesn't include the ashtray and put the AUX port wherever you want (like the panel under the A/C controls)

If you want iPod controls, you will have to plug something into the CD Changer connection, but to just add AUX just plug the cable into the back of the radio
      04-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Abtin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
The radio supports AUX, all you need to do is plug a cable into the back.
do you mean you can stick just a normal audio cable from the ipod to the back of the radio unit? Like a headphone jack type port?\
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
psygnosis
Major
Rep

Quote:
do you mean you can stick just a normal audio cable from the ipod to the back of the radio unit? Like a headphone jack type port?\
Get the BMW AUX cable and after you plug it in the option shows up when you press the mode button.
      04-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Anyone have the part number for the e46 aux input? Is it the same as the mini one: part number 82 11 0 153 367? I'm planning on doing this as well, prefer the look of a simple plug (without nameplate) on the bottom panel, very clean.
      04-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

E46:
82 11 0 149 391 (with Nav)
82 11 0 149 389 (w/o Nav)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Bleech
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I put in the BMW Mini version of the cable/plug (From bavarian) and it works perfectly. Only costs about $39 as well. Search the forums, there's load of excellent info on here which will make your install nice and easy (once you take those damn vents out that is lol).
My iPhone playing through there sounds perfect and 1000000x better than the FM radio (or worse the FM iPod transmitter). It doesn't have all the fancy txt displays on the radio or steering wheel controls, but I much prefer the iPhone controls anyway. Plus I can also plug in Sirius radio and any friends MP3s.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

I have a 2007 MZR with nav, the DSP/Carver system, and the AUX port under the AC controls. This system sounds great using the AUX port. No complaints at all, full fidelity. As others have stated it's not that much $$ to get the AUX part, and not a bad install.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
MinneapolisJeff
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

bought the AUX adapter (#82110142174) from Tischer for $68 & a Griffin Tuneflex on eBay for $30

(odd, the part isn't showing up on Tischer's site now?)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Abtin
Rep

so part number 82 11 0 149 391 from bavauto.com will work in my 2003 Z4 with premium sound, nav, and changer?

I just want to make sure I get the right one for my particular car because I hear that if you have a changer or a nav, it requires a special part.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I'm going to do this install soon and I'll verify. But from reading the 16 page thread, if you do have nav and bluetooth prep, you have to merge the plugs into the block. Should be an easy install.
      04-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
so part number 82 11 0 149 391 from bavauto.com will work in my 2003 Z4 with premium sound, nav, and changer?

I just want to make sure I get the right one for my particular car because I hear that if you have a changer or a nav, it requires a special part.
I am not sure about the premium sound but I bought the non-nav one before I retrofitted nav and it continued to work just fine after I installed the nav. I think the difference is just a matter of changing a few wires in the plugs.
Appreciate 0