ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-26-2023, 07:48 PM   #1
Snappedsocket
Rep
Drives: '07 328i, '01 M3, '97 M3

Taking audio back to stock...question

I bought an '07 3.0Si coupe recently. Came with an aftermarket flip up screen stereo...works fine, but with the screen up, it blocks the center vents. Its a silly setup, and i'd rather it was stock.

Here's the question...if I buy an OEM stereo on eBay, does it need any coding or code entered to work in the car?

Appreciate the assistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

The short answer is no….

The longer answer is that it’s best to ensure that the OEM radio you purchase is one that is guaranteed to be compatible with your car/amp.

Go to realoem.com and input the last 7 digits of your VIN and then look up the radio diagram/part numbers. It will give a list of radios… superseded etc that will fit into the car.

I would only use those radios as there are differences in the OEM radios depending on whether the OEM radio set up was basic 6 speaker… Hifi 10 speaker or CARVER 10 speaker DSP set up…

Radio/amp compatibility is a thing…