ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Racing seat and 4 point harness in Z4M

I understand that this idea is not recommended for street or track use, this is merely an idea for autocross purposes.

A local Z3M guy has an intriguing setup in his car. He replaced the stock seats with racing seats that accept stock seatbelts for street and track driving. But he also has a Schroth harness that he uses for autocross. What he does is attach the bottom straps to the rear seat anchors, and then he fabricated a bar that attaches behind the OEM roll hoop to attach the shoulder straps. There is a wide metal bar that fits inside the roll hoop to prevent the bar from riding up.

Has anyone done something similar to this on a Z4M? I'd like to explore a solution like this for autocross as well (keeping stock seatbelt for street/track of course).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Yes it has been done.... custom setup.
The main point of discussion is that it compromises your safety in the event of rollover.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Very true - but that would not be a tangible concern for autocross-only situations, right? Another possibility is that if someone did want to use the custom harness for street/track for whatever reason (I don't), you could wear your stock belt at the same time, yes?

Side note - as a racing seat noob, how can you tell which seats can and cannot accept stock seatbelts? Can they all?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
Very true - but that would not be a tangible concern for autocross-only situations, right? Another possibility is that if someone did want to use the custom harness for street/track for whatever reason (I don't), you could wear your stock belt at the same time, yes?

Side note - as a racing seat noob, how can you tell which seats can and cannot accept stock seatbelts? Can they all?
I have race seats with both harnesses & stock belts installed. I use stock belts to/from track, harnesses on track. All seats should be able to accept stock belts, it's just a matter of finding a way to mount the factory receptacle. Some drill into the trans tunnel, others use VAC or MS mounts.

06-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

At 6'3" its IMPOSSIBLE to get a harness bar or half roll cage in my car and me be able to get my seat back far enough back so I can get in the dang car! Oh well I can only wish.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
At 6'3" its IMPOSSIBLE to get a harness bar or half roll cage in my car and me be able to get my seat back far enough back so I can get in the dang car! Oh well I can only wish.
Simple fix, trade the car for a M6! =D
      06-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

For a half cage this was pretty non-intrusive. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...153589495&_rdr
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I have race seats with both harnesses & stock belts installed. I use stock belts to/from track, harnesses on track. All seats should be able to accept stock belts, it's just a matter of finding a way to mount the factory receptacle. Some drill into the trans tunnel, others use VAC or MS mounts.
Thanks! Looks great, by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post
For a half cage this was pretty non-intrusive. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...153589495&_rdr
That is nice. I don't understand what the harnesses hook onto though. I wonder if it would work in a Roadster.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

They welded a doubler on the back of the bulkhead and yes it would work in a roadster.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post
They welded a doubler on the back of the bulkhead and yes it would work in a roadster.
Is it a member on here? I'd like to get more info on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yes it has been done.... custom setup.
The main point of discussion is that it compromises your safety in the event of rollover.
Wondering why 4-pt harness is not "safer" in a roll-over than stock for the Z4M? Is it due to a lack of mounting locations for the harness sans roll cage?
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Assuming no cage, smooshed head?
It's something I've actually pondered.
Whether you would have better chances if you could flop over sideways rather than being held upright with your noggin on the pavement.
      06-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

^WHS
safety during roll over
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Assuming no cage, smooshed head?
It's something I've actually pondered.
Whether you would have better chances if you could flop over sideways rather than being held upright with your noggin on the pavement.
Quote:
^WHS
safety during roll over
Really? I get that roll cage > no roll cage, but since we have the hoops, in theory it should be OK with the broomstick test? I guess it could go both ways, the 4 point will keep you lower and tighter to the seat with pretty much no slack, the stock belt will allow you some lateral movement at the expense of allowing some slack before it locks up?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Cybmx
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MR

Have you tried the CG lock?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

The Schroth Quick-Fit Harnesses are actually made to run on stock seats w/no roll bar, because your head can still safely move in the event of a rollover.

Of course, no Quick-Fit Harnesses are available for a Z
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #17
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybmx View Post
Yes. I didn't like it because it doesn't help with the upper torso.

What I do is pull on the upper belt to latch it then slide my seat forward into the latched belt.
That way the upper torso is held as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #18
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybmx View Post
I have not tried it but I don't think it'd help to be honest. I always move my seat back and recline it a little, lock the seatbelt, then move the seat up and incline. It makes the belt very tight. I'm just looking for added restraint of the 4 point since with a 4 point you can make it very tight and secure, more than stock, but not feel like your chest is getting crushed like with stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
The Schroth Quick-Fit Harnesses are actually made to run on stock seats w/no roll bar, because your head can still safely move in the event of a rollover.

Of course, no Quick-Fit Harnesses are available for a Z
Yep, I've ridden in several cars with Quick-Fits. That would be ideal but of course, no version available for the Z and nowhere to anchor them. Hence my thread!

Quote:
Yes. I didn't like it because it doesn't help with the upper torso.

What I do is pull on the upper belt to latch it then slide my seat forward into the latched belt.
That way the upper torso is held as well.
^ this is what I do. Looking for added restraint with less pressure on my chest (and also I feel like I'm breaking the power seat when I'm using it to make my so snug against the belt).
Appreciate 0