ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
SF-Z4_3.0si
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i convertible

New Z4 owner -- noise questions

Just wanted to say hello. I bought my '06 Z4 3.0si (w/ 90K miles) in August 2012. I had BMW in Pleasanton do an inspection prior to purchase. The only thing they deemed "poor" with the car were the front bushings were worn.
I had the bushings done in the beginning of September. I went with the Meyle bushings; I bought the entire kit from eBay, and had the FCAs, tie rods, etc all done at the same time.
From my understanding of this car through the forums, noises, rattles, etc, are not uncommon.
I have three I would love to solve.
1. Sometimes when I start the car up I have a whining sound. It goes away after about 60 sec on its own, or when the car is put in gear and driven off. It won't come back again until the car is started again.
2. When the top is up is only when I notice the second noise. From 0 mph to approx 30 mph, when accelerating, I have what I can best refer to as a "vacuum" noise. if definitely sounds like some "air noise/wristling" coming from the engine when accelerating.
3. Lastly, a squeak. It seems to come from the rear of the car when in motion, and over bumps. It's very soft, and you can drown it out by the radio, but I would love to solve it.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
SF-Z4_3.0si
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i convertible

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Item 1: that could be the air/smog pump which only is engaged for about 60 seconds after start up.

Item 2: that could be from the sound generator which pipes engine noise into the cockpit. You may have a vacuum leak sound and that's being piped r into the cabin. Check the engine for vacuum leaks have a friend sit in the car and rev the motor while you listen.

Item 3: that could be the rear anti-rollbar. Those are known to come loose so I checked the tightness of the suspension components.

Those are my best guesses. Noises are very hard to dx via descriptions alone.
Appreciate 0