ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

30pin to bluetooth adapter

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to install one of those 30pin to bluetooth adapter on the ipod cable that is often installed in our cars?

My goal is to get my android phone to play music through the bluetooth, but I'm wondering if the adapter does work, and the phone pairs with the bluetooth adapter, does it kick over to the car bluetooth for phone calls?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
      05-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I doubt it would work but for $15 it is worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I went with a trunk-mounted GROM unit. I got the BT module for it and it works fine. Also supports track skip.
      05-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

I've tried a few and found the Tune2Air to be the only one that works (with factory ipod kit anyway). You pay a premium ($90) but everything works and works every time.

I've used this with iPhone and Windows Mobile. I never tried Android but don't see any reason why it would not work.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
I've tried a few and found the Tune2Air to be the only one that works (with factory ipod kit anyway). You pay a premium ($90) but everything works and works every time.

I've used this with iPhone and Windows Mobile. I never tried Android but don't see any reason why it would not work.
I have the same unit. Works great 90% of the time. On the occasion the BT stream will be really bad quality where I will turn off BT on my phone and change the input on the headunit. My only major complain is that by default the unit keeps trying to play my iTunes music by default (note I use spotify in my car). Aside from that its fantastic and a great way to update our out of date SatNav2.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

I did something similar.

I got this, modified its power input cable, and wired it directly to the car's ignition. The audio output cable I also modified and hooked up to the aux in the radio.

What happens now is I have my Android phone to hook up to the car's native bluetooth at startup. When this paring happens, it triggers the belkin module to also be connected. When the car is turned off, both disconnect.

This connection also causes the phone to unlock it self so that I don't have to try to put the pin in when I drive. When the car turns off, the phone forces a relock.

Now my phone is through the car, while anything non voice is through the belkin.

And the quality is excellent - I couldn't tell a difference between this and a CD.

I also had a small circuit that I built to pass some of the steering wheel button presses through bluetooth- but I took it apart for an 'update', which never happened

-gc
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #7
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

+1 for Tune2Air. Im also using a cheap $30 adapter from BestBuy for my DD and it works flawlessly but the track titles dont show up. Other than that, both adapters have really nice audio quality.
      05-29-2015, 01:25 AM   #8
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I would try to avoid stacking music adapters like that. android -> bluetooth, bluetooth -> 30 pin, 30 pin -> radio via some 3rd party adapter. I think your sound quality after all that may be crap
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Thanks all. I have been tiring of the cables I have all over the place. But these responses have been helpful. I know Android phones are super customizable, so the fact that it is possible to have the phone go through the car's system and the music through another is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll try the bluetooth adapters mentioned here and hopefully one works!