ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Z4MR to F80 M3

I have not been driving my MR much due to the fact that every time I take it somewhere, I inevitably need to pick up my kids and their friends so it sits in the garage.

I am thinking about trading the Z4 for a new M3...Has any swapped from the Z4M to an F8x M3/M4? What are your thoughts? Do you miss the Z4M?

I have driven the F80 on track for a day but have limited street time in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Okay I may have no place in this because I don't have a Z4 M or an M4. But I think they are very different cars and I don't believe the new M4 will be the last of it's kind whereas the Z4 M is. The M4 is forced induction with an electronic steering rack, so that's a huge change.

You have a modern classic in my opinion, and I would hold on to it like a gold brick. I would try to drive an M4 for a couple days before getting rid of the Z4M, just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Until the Z4M begins falling apart, never sell!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

im in the same boat...looking at an f80 m3
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
im in the same boat...looking at an f80 m3
It's not that I think the M4 isn't amazing, it's the beginning of an era for sure. But I feel the Z4 M is the end of an era.

You can't even order a new Ferrari or Lamborghini with a manual transmission and BMW doesn't offer any NA inline-six. That's the future we're living in and I don't think we'll be going back.

I've been on a few forums, where people sell their rare car for something newer and faster and regret it almost immediately.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Keep the M Roadster! Why do I say that?

Order this copy of Bimmer Magazine and read the cover article about the E85 M Roadster.

It will make your decision easier because you will remember all of the reasons you got it in the first place.

And the most important reason is.... it is the last analog BMW M ever built.

Manual transmission only, hydraulic steering, rear-wheel drive, two seats, classic roadster traits such as long hood, short rear deck, wheels pushed out to the ends, balanced chassis and nestled between the shock towers is the last great naturally aspirated inline-6 developed by BMW M GmbH.

BMW only built 3,041 M Roadsters, so not a lot of them.

I say roll the M Roadster, it's a classic already from an era that ended in 2008 and will never be seen again.

The M Roadster has just the things one needs for a great drive. A great engine, gearbox, chassis and one gets to hear all of the sounds mixed just for the drivers ears.

Your head may be telling to get the latest and greatest, but listen to your heart because it will tell you what to do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post

Order this copy of Bimmer Magazine and read the cover article about the E85 M Roadster.

It will make you decision easier because you will remember all of the reasons you got it in the first place.

Manual transmission only, hydraulic steering, rear-wheel drive, two seats, classic roadster traits such as long hood, short rear deck, wheels pushed out to the ends, balanced chassis and nestled between the shock towers is the last great naturally-aspirated in-line 6 developed by BMW M GmbH.

I say roll the M Roadster, it's a classic already from an era that ended in 2008 and will never be seen again.

The M Roadster has just the things one needs for a great drive. A great engine, gearbox, chassis and one gets to hear all of the sounds mixed just for the drivers ears.

Your head may be telling to get the latest and greatest, but listen to your heart because it will tell you what to do.
Well said!! I always look at my car like how it was portrayed in this Top Gear review. No bells, no whistles, but FUN!

Appreciate 2
      10-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Easy for me/us to say, but if you can, hang on to the S54! By all means add an F80 M3 or F87 M2, they are great cars; they are not, however (and in my opinion) as special as the E85/86 Ms for the reasons stated above.

I love the F80 and will be adding that or the F87 as a new DD. I'll probably keep it 5 years max, 6 if I purchase an extended warranty. The E39 M5 and E86 M coupe? I'll keep those forever.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Easy for me/us to say, but if you can, hang on to the S54! By all means add an F80 M3 or F87 M2, they are great cars; they are not, however (and in my opinion) as special as the E85/86 Ms for the reasons stated above.

I love the F80 and will be adding that or the F87 as a new DD. I'll probably keep it 5 years max, 6 if I purchase an extended warranty. The E39 M5 and E86 M coupe? I'll keep those forever.
KevinM, I agree with you and your points.

I want to get an F83 M4 Cabriolet in the worst way. It will BMW Individual paint and leather with contrast stitching.

Go European Delivery with pickup at the Welt, then for a ceremonial lap around the Ring, through the Basel and then spend a week at Lake Como with a quick jaunt to Milan for some serious shopping.

But I already know it's weight, backseat and overall complexity will on a lot of levels make me miss my Z4.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #10
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
Quote:

It will make you decision easier because you will remember all of the reasons you got it in the first place.

Manual transmission only, hydraulic steering, rear-wheel drive, two seats, classic roadster traits such as long hood, short rear deck, wheels pushed out to the ends, balanced chassis and nestled between the shock towers is the last great naturally-aspirated in-line 6 developed by BMW M GmbH.

Well said!! I always look at my car like how it was portrayed in this Top Gear review. No bells, no whistles, but FUN!

NickyC, that's exactly it.

Nobody buys a roadster to feel bad, people buy a roadster to feel good.

They want to feel better about themselves, the car is an achievement purchase (promotion at work, retirement, raise, etc), they think it will make them look better or any of a thousand reasons.

They want to feel alive, hear the sounds around them at speed, have the wind blow through their hair or in my case through my eyebrows since I have zero hair.

People buy roadsters for a connection that you cannot get from any other car, and with an M Roadster it ticks all of the "emotional" boxes and they see themselves having fun.

In the end it's about having fun and enjoying the drive, plain and simple.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 11:40 PM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

They want to feel better about themselves, the car is an achievement purchase (promotion at work, retirement, raise, etc), they think it will make them look better or any of a thousand reasons.

They want to feel alive, hear the sounds around them at speed, have the wind blow through their hair or in my case through my eyebrows since I have zero hair.

People buy roadsters for a connection that you cannot get from any other car, and with an M Roadster it ticks all of the "emotional" boxes and they see themselves having fun.

You win the internet!!

I just got back from a three hour drive this evening, a drive I took because it's still 70 degrees outside at night but I know winter is coming soon and I need to enjoy these nights NOW. Nowhere to go, nothing to do, just drove circles around the town for three hours. I had to force myself to come back home, the joy of owning this car never gets old.

Oh, and how about some nighttime pics!!

Last edited by NickyC; 10-22-2015 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #12
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
Quote:

You win the internet!!

I just got back from a three hour drive this evening, a drive I took because it's still 70 degrees outside at night but I know winter is coming soon and I need to enjoy these nights NOW. Nowhere to go, nothing to do, just drove circles around the town for three hours. I had to force myself to come back home, the joy of owning this car never gets old.

Oh, and how about some nighttime pics!!

Great looking car.

When you get in your car and just drive for three hours, it's because you love the car and the drive. Having a roadster is all about the drive.

I make myself go home after a slightly long drive also.

Your M Roadster is not a car, it's actually your partner in crime. With winter coming soon you will long for those warm nights when you just get in the car and drive with nowhere in particular to go.

That is what a roadster is for, two seats, small trunk so you cannot take a lot with you, just grab the keys and your red partner in crime is a willing accomplice!

That's how you do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:26 AM   #13
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Even though I only have an si, every time I walk to my car I realize how much I love it, and lately I was considering trading in for an m2, but there will be more of those on the road in a year or two. Around me, I have seen a total of 2 coupes on the road since I've bought the car 5 years ago. Imo, we own unique cars, why part with them
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy View Post
Even though I only have an si, every time I walk to my car I realize how much I love it, and lately I was considering trading in for an m2, but there will be more of those on the road in a year or two. Around me, I have seen a total of 2 coupes on the road since I've bought the car 5 years ago. Imo, we own unique cars, why part with them
i, si, M no matter - all are the same frame and basic feel just to a different degree

While I agree with the others in saying the MR is unique and very different from an M4, if you need the practicality of a back seat you should certainly have a look at one. It will still be an awesome car. Myself, I would look towards a last gen M3 cabrio with its amazing NA V8. More of a pure M car to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #15
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy
WickeyN,

It doesn't matter what E85 Z4 you have, that puts you in the family.

You can love your car as much as you want, and if you get out of it and look back at it, that means you love some part of it or the whole damn thang!

The 3.0si is a very good car. If you love the drive and look forward to driving it, that means you bought the right car.

Go drive your car man.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #16
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
I love this thread and the zeitgeist about the Z4M is spot on. It was a car built without compromise representing the end of a very influential motoring era. And it can be tough to live with as a result, but the payoff is worth it. I learned my lesson after I sold my FD RX-7 for something "more practical."
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #17
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If the need for a backseat is the mandate, not the need for 4 doors, I would get the M2 before I would consider the M3.

I got to drive the M235i extensively at Thermal, as well as use the M3 for autocross in one of their M Performance days, and while the M3 is faster, the M235i is 1,000x more engaging to drive. And if the M235i is good, then the M2, by that extension, should kick some serious butt.

The M235i is actually relatively roomy and comfortable. The M3 felt like I was driving the E39 M5. It's huge, and does not feel nearly as responsive as M3s of previous generations.

If your kids and their friends are big enough where you don't need to help them get in and out of the car, I would certainly think the M2 is a far better car to replace the MZ4 with.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #18
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
If the need for a backseat is the mandate, not the need for 4 doors, I would get the M2 before I would consider the M3.

I got to drive the M235i extensively at Thermal, as well as use the M3 for autocross in one of their M Performance days, and while the M3 is faster, the M235i is 1,000x more engaging to drive. And if the M235i is good, then the M2, by that extension, should kick some serious butt.

The M235i is actually relatively roomy and comfortable. The M3 felt like I was driving the E39 M5. It's huge, and does not feel nearly as responsive as M3s of previous generations.

If your kids and their friends are big enough where you don't need to help them get in and out of the car, I would certainly think the M2 is a far better car to replace the MZ4 with.
M2/M235 is interesting. I'm 6'-4" so I think that makes the M2 a 3 person car?

For the previous poster who suggested an E93 M3, I have driven a few and came away unimpressed. While it sounds incredible, I don't find it that fast and it's not nearly as engaging to drive as the MR.

The dealer agreed to let me take their M4 for a drive to compare, stay tuned..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #19
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Love this thread. I'm going to bookmark this and reread if I ever get the itch to sell my Z4MR. Excited to hear how the M4 test drive went...
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #20
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I'll echo the good things said about the M235i. I drove the xdrive version at BMW's traveling M Car Control Clinic, along with the M3/M4 (and 328d and 428i on a different day). I had low expectations for the M235i going in, but I happily admit I was won over.

The low expectations were due to electric steering (hate it in my non-M), commuter car turbo engine, excessive use of M badges on a non-M car, and xdrive. The electric steering was actually pretty good. I didn't notice much turbo lag, although the N55 drives and sounds like the teenager version of the S55... you can't fault the N55 until you drive it back to back with the S55. I wish the S55 made it into the M2. The xdrive truly impressed me. The car behaves like it's rear wheel drive with a limited slip, and the front wheels don't do much pulling until the rear starts to slip. I wouldn't have known it was all wheel drive until I dug into the car on the course. It doesn't have the typical awd understeer. Neither the M235i nor the M3/M4 showed any signs of letting up on the course, despite being run hard all day in the summer heat.

The M3 felt like it was too much for a tight course. Many of the instructors secretly preferred the M235i to the M3. We never drove the cars on the same course, and that should tell you something about which one was faster.

I think I would have enjoyed the M3 on a longer course without the driver aids. We had to keep traction control on, which wouldn't give me full power with the wheel angled. I felt like I was battling the car and couldn't unleash its full potential. It wouldn't stop thinking for me or overwhelming the rear tires. On the other hand, the M235i worked with me, and I was able to use 100% of its potential. Although I would have been faster without DSC, it never excessively intervened and got in my way. The chassis loves to rotate, and feedback is excellent compared to any model 3/4 series.

The M3 makes the best daily. For spirited driving, I prefer the M235i. I don't understand the M4 other than wanting the coupe look. I was happy in the front seat of either car, but there's a bit more room in the M3. The back seat of the M3 was comfy for me (6'3"). I wasn't comfortable in the back of the M235i. The M2 is the first new BMW I've considered buying since the Z4M, depending on how it performs.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #21
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I have a deposit on an m2 for the same reason. Not sure how many they will receive at this point. N55 is a solid motor. I've been looking at the m2 and m3 for a while now. Following 2 addicts religiously lol
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #22
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I agree whole heartedly that you should hang onto the Z, I opted for the coupe but the same holds true for both. I bought it because it's a very unique limited production car from the end of an era. I don't know if it will become a collectors item, I hope it does but that doesn't matter because I just love the look of the thing. Every time I walk by it I have to stop and have a look, that fat rear end, the long hood. It just looks mean, really purpose built. M4 is a nice care, but a very different animal.
Appreciate 0