ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Parking roadster outside for the winter

I'm thinking as long as I take adequate measures to winter-proof the car, there should be no damage done to it right? e.g. park it on a tarp on my driveway, breathable car cover, gummi pfledge all seals, dryer sheets, clear snow off the car cover every time it snows, etc. Someone posted this so I know it has been done:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...8&d=1424628381

I have space in my garage, but it'd be nice to reclaim that garage space so I can work on wood projects during the winter. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I think as long as you remove battery you should be all right.
      11-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Where do you live? Do they use road salt in winter ? Are you near the ocean? If so I would keep the car in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Where do you live? Do they use road salt in winter ? Are you near the ocean? If so I would keep the car in the garage.
I'm in the Boston area, about 25 miles from the ocean. We salt heavily here, but why does it matter if the car is wrapped up on my driveway? I was debating on and off whether to drive it in the winter, but decided against it. Now debating whether to store it outside or inside. Cars tend to start seeing undercarriage rust after 6 years on the road here due to the winter salt.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

You should be OK if you protect it well.
I would use heavy plastic under the car rather than a tarp, to keep moisture from coming up under the car.
You want to have a tight fitting cover so that it dosnt chafe the paint when it gets windy.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Having the car stand outside you shouldn't use a breathing car cover, moisture will get under the car cover. Garage the car and build a bigger garage next year so you can do your wood work.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Car covers generally aren't meant to be used outside. Yea it will protect it from the elements but even the softest cover will scratch and rub down the paint when the wind blows.
      11-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

i would pay to store it somewhere...
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
Sounds like you've covered what's needed for outdoor storage, but I have to echo the post above... Anyone you know with an empty garage space or someone who lives out in the sticks with a barn somewhere, carport, etc...?
      11-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
I'm in the Boston area, about 25 miles from the ocean. We salt heavily here, but why does it matter if the car is wrapped up on my driveway? I was debating on and off whether to drive it in the winter, but decided against it. Now debating whether to store it outside or inside. Cars tend to start seeing undercarriage rust after 6 years on the road here due to the winter salt.
My Grandfather was from Everett. I think that's near Boston as I'm told!

I am much closer to the ocean so in winter we can get wet weather off the ocean and it can tend to be salty which is not good for your car as you know. If the city there uses lots of road salt your winter car will carry it into your driveway, so if you can park the car away from the driveway (behind the house maybe) then that will reduce the chance of salt getting at the car.

As others have said if you keep her outside, seal her up good!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
Diesel_d66
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 MR

I got my car last fall and covered it outside during the winter with the OEM cover. Lots of snow last year in the mid atlantic. Everything turned out fine. The only advice (based on my mechanic) is try to drive it around if you can. Obviously I would avoid the slick/salty days.

on a side note, does any know how to clean the car cover. Will a dry cleaner take care of it? I'm kind of worried of the chemicals they would use transferring or having an affect on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

If given the option of either parking the car outside all Winter or having it in the garage, starting it and backing it out to do projects in the garage I would park it in the garage and back it up occasionally. 25 miles from the ocean in Boston seems like a pretty harsh environment to me. Also, the tiny amount of wear that comes from the start isn't nearly as hard on the overall car as leaving it outside with a cover on and under it. My daily driver (never in a garage) often doesn't get started for 5 days in a row (work out of my house and travel) and I have never had a problem with it's engine or the previous cars engine (sold it at 153k miles).
      11-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #13
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I would say dont do it.

I left mine out 2 years ago in my back yard. Had 11" of snow on it for 2-3 months. After it melt away, the famous convertible motor had died.

If you really have no choice figure out how to make sure water doesnt collect on the convertible top.. I had a cover on mine but I notice moisture was frozen directly on to the car. Meaning I can't pull the cover off without risking some damage.

I usually garage the car in the winter but missed it that year.
      11-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #14
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

I second what David wrote - keep inside and back out temporarily. If you have a cover you could even leave it out overnight to get snowed on - still better than long term in the weather.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
If given the option of either parking the car outside all Winter or having it in the garage, starting it and backing it out to do projects in the garage I would park it in the garage and back it up occasionally. 25 miles from the ocean in Boston seems like a pretty harsh environment to me. Also, the tiny amount of wear that comes from the start isn't nearly as hard on the overall car as leaving it outside with a cover on and under it. My daily driver (never in a garage) often doesn't get started for 5 days in a row (work out of my house and travel) and I have never had a problem with it's engine or the previous cars engine (sold it at 153k miles).
When I back it out, is it better to leave the engine running for 20 min to warm it up or is it better to just turn it off immediately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDKrank View Post
I second what David wrote - keep inside and back out temporarily. If you have a cover you could even leave it out overnight to get snowed on - still better than long term in the weather.
This is what I've decided to do. Now I just need to find a garage heater to keep warm while working.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
When I back it out, is it better to leave the engine running for 20 min to warm it up or is it better to just turn it off immediately?
You need to get it up to full operating temperature, which could take well over 1/2hr just idling.
On a couple of occasions when I had to do this, I pushed it out & back in w/o starting.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #17
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
You need to get it up to full operating temperature, which could take well over 1/2hr just idling.
On a couple of occasions when I had to do this, I pushed it out & back in w/o starting.
Thanks. I may just push it out and then start the engine to bring it back in. I've already tried pushing it into my garage without success because of the slight incline I have.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

Sitting outside idling in the winter may not get the exhaust hot enough to burn off the condensation. I say run it as little as possible until you can take it out and drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I would probably push it out and drive it in, also not getting it up to operating temperature, but this is a guess on which way is better. Pushing it out only if relatively easy.

I don't see condensation in the exhaust mattering much anymore as I don't believe there is anything to rust (all stainless).
      11-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
If you simply start the engine, immediately slap her in gear, drive ten feet to get out of the garage, and immediately turn the car off - and the same to get back in a few hours later - would that be a problem in your view? I'm thinking this could be as short as 30 seconds run time or less.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #21
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

hard to really say for sure, since you cant see what the result is.
I guess the question is will the internals be warm enough to cause internal condensation as it cools.

I'm in the middle of renovating & heating my shop (& car storage)
Next week I have to move the car from one bay to one of the others temporarily, & back when complete.

I will definitely be pushing it.
For me its not a big deal as my drive is fairly level.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #22
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

When in doubt, better safe than sorry!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0