ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Brake Dust

What is the best way of cleaning off brake dust? Is there a cleaner I can buy that will take the grime right off? I was washing my car yesterday and noticed that the brake discs are bronze from all the dust and just look horrible. anyone know of a good way fo cleaning them w/o removing the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Buy Axxis ceramic pads!

Easy to put in and cuts down brake dust to almost nothing,

I got mine from Zeckhausen in NJ

I think that was actually the first thing I did to the car the week I bought it as I loved them so much from my previous Z4

Side note,

delivery miles stock Z4M brake pads for sale lol
As new take offs
Make offer

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

yea ceramics i got has no brake dust....identical stopping power though
      08-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

For Ceramics, I recommend the EBC Red Stuff, better than Axxis in my opinion.

But keep in mind due to the stopping characteristics between metallic and ceramic pads, if you are a frequent track day goer, stick to metallic pads. They offer better stopping power under high heat and repeated braking.

The only great thing about ceramics is the significantly reduced brake dust and less brake noise while having comparable stopping power to OEM.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

dont use any off the shelf wheel cleaner. Just soap and water
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
For Ceramics, I recommend the EBC Red Stuff, better than Axxis in my opinion.

But keep in mind due to the stopping characteristics between metallic and ceramic pads, if you are a frequent track day goer, stick to metallic pads. They offer better stopping power under high heat and repeated braking.

The only great thing about ceramics is the significantly reduced brake dust and less brake noise while having comparable stopping power to OEM.
That's not exactly true. Ceramic brakes tend to heat up slower and cool faster than metalic brakes, and are much more resistant to brake fade, and recover faster. Also keep in mind, that many race brakes (including those used in F1) are made out of carbon, due to their high resistance to heating. But carbon brakes will make a crap load of dust.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
That's not exactly true. Ceramic brakes tend to heat up slower and cool faster than metalic brakes, and are much more resistant to brake fade, and recover faster. Also keep in mind, that many race brakes (including those used in F1) are made out of carbon, due to their high resistance to heating. But carbon brakes will make a crap load of dust.
But wouldn't it also have to do with the F1 cars using carbon ceramic rotors as well? It'll be very rare that a street car is using that type of rotor material. Typically cast iron rotors for street cars.

From the general concensus out there though, although I guess I may be mistaken on the reason for it, heavy braking, track usage, etc..., use metallics, normal street use and reduced dust and noise, use ceramics.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
But wouldn't it also have to do with the F1 cars using carbon ceramic rotors as well? It'll be very rare that a street car is using that type of rotor material. Typically cast iron rotors for street cars.

From the general concensus out there though, although I guess I may be mistaken on the reason for it, heavy braking, track usage, etc..., use metallics, normal street use and reduced dust and noise, use ceramics.
From what I've seen it's the reverse. Ceramic for high performace track driving and metallic for street use. The reason F1 uses carbon is that it can sustain a lot of heat, but the reason you don't see it on street cars is that it takes alot of heat to get them up to operating temperature.

I think the reason for this is that the metallic pads are reliable for short stops and they reliably produce the amount of friction you need to stop the car. Ceramic pads heat up slower so they can maintain their stopping friction longer which is better suited for the track.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

I've also heard that waxing the rims can help brake dust problems. Although I've never tried...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyu177 View Post
I've also heard that waxing the rims can help brake dust problems. Although I've never tried...
tried wheelwax...doesn't seem to help with the OEM brake dust. they are sooo sticky.

try different pads and you will notice a difference.(non organic pads)
      08-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

bronze disks

bronze disks are not from the brake dust it is rust from washing your car. I get it every time i wash my car, if i do not drive around the block to drive off the disks. If i don not drive them i have to make sure not to pull up the hand brake or leave it in gear ortherwise the brakes are stuck to my disks. It must be a very close tolerance between the pads and and the disks.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
nOLd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MCoupe Interlagos Blue

I use the OEM wheel cleaner it's pretty good
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Like gearl commented; the bronze rotors aren't due to them being dirty, it's rust. It's natural and going to happen whenever you wash your car. Drive down the street and back and it'll disappear.

Waxing your rims is a good way to protect from brake dust baking on. It usually will allow you to hose down your rim and remove most of the dust. I've used Wheel Wax and was satisfied with the results. I did put on a pretty generous coating though. I've also used synthetic paint sealants like Zaino on my rims. Seams to do the same job.
      08-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

you guys were all completely right. i never noticed that after you wash the car the rotors turn bronze. i was like "OMG!!!!!!!". i drove around and checked back and they were fine. you guys are BMW GURUS!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
From what I've seen it's the reverse. Ceramic for high performace track driving and metallic for street use. The reason F1 uses carbon is that it can sustain a lot of heat, but the reason you don't see it on street cars is that it takes alot of heat to get them up to operating temperature.

I think the reason for this is that the metallic pads are reliable for short stops and they reliably produce the amount of friction you need to stop the car. Ceramic pads heat up slower so they can maintain their stopping friction longer which is better suited for the track.
Correct. You will have to get your ceramic brakes hot before you get any stopping power in day to day driving. They are like using wet brakes till they get warm.
Appreciate 0