ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #23
Bigredsk8
Rep
Drives: Sterling silver 2003 z4 2.5

Well I didn't read all of the posts in this thread but I bought my 03 Z4 with 74,000 miles on it over 3 years ago. I bought an extended warranty with Carchex that cost me 2,600 and is good for 5 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. Right after I purchased it the passenger window regulator broke and the top motor kicked the can. I paid $50 and Carchex footed the rest of the $1,500 bill. Then just a few months ago my windshield wiper linkage snapped and the valve cover gasket and seals needed replaced. Again Carchex took that one as well and it was just over $1,000. My warranty has basically paid for itself at this point and I still have time left. Yeah the company complained about the service but if you have good people working at the dealership they will take care of you and in the end it will get fixed and paid for. It's up to you, I don't recommend nor not recommend getting one, it's all risky regardless.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:19 AM   #24
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredsk8 View Post
Well I didn't read all of the posts in this thread but I bought my 03 Z4 with 74,000 miles on it over 3 years ago. I bought an extended warranty with Carchex that cost me 2,600 and is good for 5 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. Right after I purchased it the passenger window regulator broke and the top motor kicked the can. I paid $50 and Carchex footed the rest of the $1,500 bill. Then just a few months ago my windshield wiper linkage snapped and the valve cover gasket and seals needed replaced. Again Carchex took that one as well and it was just over $1,000. My warranty has basically paid for itself at this point and I still have time left. Yeah the company complained about the service but if you have good people working at the dealership they will take care of you and in the end it will get fixed and paid for. It's up to you, I don't recommend nor not recommend getting one, it's all risky regardless.
See- you MAY be one that makes out well, but if you don't end up getting any more repairs covered you have received just about what you paid for the warranty. If you had put that 2,600 into a service account, you would be exactly the same as you are now. A crap shoot for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #25
kevinlindley1
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Roadster

Well the good news is I now own a 2008 Z4MR with 67k miles

The car comes from the dealer (Vroom/AutoAmerica), with a limited warranty of 90 days/6000 miles administered by Safe-Guard Products International, LLC. It looks like this Safe-Guard company has an A rating on the BBB, so I guess thats good. Anyways, the warranty states that it covers mechanical breakdowns which is defined as: manufacturer defects/workmanship defects, as well as normal wear and tear.

The PPI revealed that the timing cover (BTW - is that equivalent to the VANOS?) was leaking and needed to be fixed, but the warranty has a clause that says "the engine block and heads, valve covers, timing cover, and oil pan are covered only if damaged by the failure of an internal part." I'm assuming this means I'm SOL?
Appreciate 0