ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
lucam
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Selling a 2006 3.0si

I became a grandfather lately and need a different car, have a black/black roadster 3.0si with sports package, 6 speed, 30K miles, 4 Michelin Pilot tires in perfect condition in case someone is interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Congratulations! ��

The car looks nice - but you need to post an ad in the classified section where it belongs, with a price on it. More pictures and details will also help you sell it a lot faster. Check out some of the other ads. Good luck, Gramps..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
lucam
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Thanks, will follow your advice
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Gramps ...
      04-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
cooticooti16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

I just became a father, so maybe this car will be a great relief from the minivan and CUV life!

Is the steering that much disconnected from the hydraulic setup in the Z4M?

R.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooticooti16 View Post
I just became a father, so maybe this car will be a great relief from the minivan and CUV life!

Is the steering that much disconnected from the hydraulic setup in the Z4M?

R.
Personally, it was night and day for me. I wouldn't have bought an si after driving the M based on the steering feel alone. The motor in the si is fine and if I could have had the M's steering rack I would have done it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

My brother has the electric steering in his X3, strange at first, but i am sure you could get used to it. but thats just my crappy opinion..
      04-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Personally, it was night and day for me. I wouldn't have bought an si after driving the M based on the steering feel alone. The motor in the si is fine and if I could have had the M's steering rack I would have done it.
Ditto. Had an si coupe before the M. Also became a dad on Tuesday so congrats from a fellow new dad cooticooti16!

Edit for Huz-z: Yes, it had RFTs when I purchased the car but got non-RFTs when I upgraded the wheels. Definitely a huge improvement.

Last edited by itdnwiwbp; 04-27-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

It would be helpful if the folks commenting on steering could note whether or not the SI that they drove had the original run flat tires or not. I say that because the SI's steering is vastly improved by replacing the run flats with conventional tires. Virtually every Z4 owner here (other than those with M's which have conventional tires anyway) have done that and been very pleased with the results.

The steering of an SI with conventional tires will not be as nice as an M - no argument there. But I think most would agree that its a big improvement and IMHO, quite acceptable.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
It would be helpful if the folks commenting on steering could note whether or not the SI that they drove had the original run flat tires or not. I say that because the SI's steering is vastly improved by replacing the run flats with conventional tires. Virtually every Z4 owner here (other than those with M's which have conventional tires anyway) have done that and been very pleased with the results.

The steering of an SI with conventional tires will not be as nice as an M - no argument there. But I think most would agree that its a big improvement and IMHO, quite acceptable.
As the two I drove were both dealer cars(one new and one off lease) I assume they had RFT's. I am sure that does make a difference, but it is more than that. I had an S2000 prior to the M Roadster and it also had electric steering. It wasn't bad, but still lacked the feel the hydraulic system gives you. I suspect the new electric steering Boxsters have the same issue compared to the older cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

I'm going to start by saying I'm a steering feel snob, and have owned a number of performance oriented cars to make this comparison, including a 2010 135i which is probably closest in size to the Z (and an S2k, e39 M5, e30 iS, and MKIV GTI).

The first thing I did when getting my Z4 Coupe 3.0si was swap out the wheels with Breytons that had non-RFT extreme performance summer tires.

The steering is well weighted and precise, but definitely doesn't provide the level of feedback as a hydraulic rack. That said, I would never NOT buy this car again because of the steering. For me it is almost a non-issue (I can't believe I'm saying that...). Sure, the Z4M is probably a bit better, but when I'm on the track and push a little too much in the corner to induce understeer, I can actually feel the wheel getting a bit lighter as the front wheels lose grip. This is not something common to electric power steering.

NOTE: I do have suspension and bushing upgrades, which probably helps contribute to the better feel.
Appreciate 0