ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Agency Power headers vs JVT headers-

Thinking of getting a set. Does anyone have experience with these? I know thay have the correct bungs and I have already priced the software for the cel light. Just did not know if the AP's were worth $600 more than the JVT's. I can change an alternator on a chevy and a intake on a ford, how hard would it be for me to install?
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

you should ask Ochoa
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I'm not going to comment on the quality of the headers other then I wouldn't put them on my car.

As far as the difficulty, its easier hen an e46 m3, but still is a bit of a paint in the butt, it takes time and patience. It's not too difficult to screw up, but depsite that I've seen it messed up a ton of times. Make sure you put the o2 sensors in the right spots.

As for the CEL, I have been testing a fix on my car for some time now and it works great. It should be available very soon.
      02-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I'm not going to comment on the quality of the headers other then I wouldn't put them on my car.

As far as the difficulty, its easier hen an e46 m3, but still is a bit of a paint in the butt, it takes time and patience. It's not too difficult to screw up, but depsite that I've seen it messed up a ton of times. Make sure you put the o2 sensors in the right spots.

As for the CEL, I have been testing a fix on my car for some time now and it works great. It should be available very soon.
What would you recommend for headers? I want to get my moneys worth. I rather pay for quality than cheap out. It really doesnt pan out to be cheap with these cars. Ive learned the hard way.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
What would you recommend for headers? I want to get my moneys worth. I rather pay for quality than cheap out. It really doesnt pan out to be cheap with these cars. Ive learned the hard way.
It depends on what you will pay. There's only three I would put on my car, active, supersprint, or OEM. Fabspeed are pretty good too but there's a couple small things I don't like.

I've had both active and OEM CSL headers on my own Ms, and I've handled and installed pretty much all the others, there's a pretty clear difference in quality.
      02-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Looking at the SS's but that would require the SS cats would it not? Im looking too just get headers and not replace the cats. $1800 is in my price range. Especially if it's quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Looking at the SS's but that would require the SS cats would it not? Im looking too just get headers and not replace the cats. $1800 is in my price range. Especially if it's quality.
SS are coming out with one that will fit up with the OEM exhaust, not quite available yes though.

Edit: just realized its compatible with the OEM exhaust, but I think it only has 1 set of o2 bungs welded to it which is the catch.

Last edited by O-cha; 02-28-2010 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
So what happens with just one O2 bung?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
You're Check Engine light will come on, and if you're in a state that does emissions testing - you won't pass cause of that.
      03-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Leaning toward the Fabspeed sport headers with my stock section one. Should I get the sport cats too or will the stock cats be ok? Opine on the Fabspeeds as some people said there a a few things that bother them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

O-Cha:

Would your fix allow me to pass inspection in California?

If I bought the supersprint stepped headers and the cats would that solve the inspection problem?

Moving to OC in June and need to figure this out, otherwise I may have to leave the car registered in Massachusetts.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Leaning toward the Fabspeed sport headers with my stock section one. Should I get the sport cats too or will the stock cats be ok? Opine on the Fabspeeds as some people said there a a few things that bother them.
Things that bug me about fabspeed is you either have to cut or remove the factory heat shield above the cylinders due to cyl 5 touching. They also weld in these things to the secondary bungs meant to stop the CEL (doesn't really work)

The second part is especially a problem if someone puts the primaries where the secondaries go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
O-Cha:

Would your fix allow me to pass inspection in California?

If I bought the supersprint stepped headers and the cats would that solve the inspection problem?

Moving to OC in June and need to figure this out, otherwise I may have to leave the car registered in Massachusetts.
California has sniffers I believe, no "fix" besides real cats will allow you to pass. It should allow readiness but I can't guarantee it since it is dam near impossible to have come up even on a stock car. You have to complete a perfect driving cycle, which just doesn't happen on the street.