ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
ZEDMFOUR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Need a little exhaust advice for a Z4M(ss race or diablo)

Looking at a set of SuperSprint race cans or A set of Re diablo's. They are about the same price. Powerloops and everything else but Remus are way out of my price range.
I'm will not be running an x-pipe. Looking for no drone also. I have listened to both exhausts on youtube and cant tell which is louder. I'm wanting the quieter of the two.
Remus might be too close to stock for my taste. Any advice from the people in the know would be great. I guess the worst thing that could happen were to be that if too loud I could just sell off at a small loss.
I'm looking for a good mod for something a little different.It's was either exhaust or wheels on a $1500 budget. And $1500 wheels are reps that weigh a ton.

2006 BMW M ROADSTER-ZECKHAUSEN CDV-POWERCHIP TUNE-BLACK GRILLES
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
ZEDMFOUR
United_States
Rep

So the El diablo's would be quieter without the x-pipe correct? Or would the x-pipe help control the drone? I guess I can always buy the cans then change into an x-pipe if there is a drone. Im wanting to keep it between stock and RPI in loudness. Just don't want it to be so loud I cant talk over the car. Sorry, I always get shifty when it comes to buying things

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Zoomby_U
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
The supersprints are probably going to drone like crazy. ive used SS race on my e46 m3 and it had constant drone from 2-3K rpms.
I have the powerloops on the Z4MC with the x pipe and get no drone. I would say get the SS x pipe and the rogue el diablo, that will prob be loud enough without drone.
I've had the SS Race cans on my Z4MC for over a year and I get no drone whatsoever at any RPM. The sound is a little loud on the highway but there is definitely no drone. I just have the cans with the stock X-Pipe and am still loving the sound! Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
ZEDMFOUR
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomby_U View Post
I've had the SS Race cans on my Z4MC for over a year and I get no drone whatsoever at any RPM. The sound is a little loud on the highway but there is definitely no drone. I just have the cans with the stock X-Pipe and am still loving the sound! Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply. Just throwing out if the drone on SS could be just the difference in the coupe vs a ragtop like mine(if there is said drone)

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
mimsterzx7r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster, 03 Pathfinder

I have the SS race cans with an xpipe. Yeah there's drone, definitely more so than a set of RE Diablo cans. One of the local guys down here has a set of Diablo cans and it sounds great at WOT. Honestly I can't remember if there was much drone (probably a little bit), but I was more interested in the sound at WOT.

But I don't mind so much, all I do is crank up the stereo or drop to a lower gear and watch the rpms climb (drone is around 2-3k).

Different strokes for different folks, I would gladly take the drone from my setup for the visceral sound at WOT.

ZHP knob/Zeckhausen CDV/ESS Tune/More to come
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
ZEDMFOUR
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm gonna go with the Diablo cans. Maybe a little quieter and a little drone than the SS race. That's what i was needing to know. If anymore opinioins please opine. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

You will be pretty happy with the RE Diablo, its a great sounding exhaust. Has a nice deep tone at idle and low rpms, a cool hollowish sound while cruising and really opens up when you floor it.

I might try and make another vid some time this weekend if i get some time.

Remus is def too stock like.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold

Last edited by The__J__Factor; 01-22-2010 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

FYI, Remus thread location

There's a thread on the remus with audio clips HERE
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
ZEDMFOUR
United_States
Rep

Well I pulled the trigger. Just bought a set of Diablos from RE's website. Hope they are in stock. Be on the lookout cause if they are too loud or drony someone will get a chance to buy a set slightly used for $950 plus $40 frt.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

^ Awesome!

Trust its a pretty mean sounding exhaust. But remember it will take a 100kms or so for it to full break in and settle down.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 02:01 AM   #11
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDMFOUR View Post
Well I pulled the trigger. Just bought a set of Diablos from RE's website. Hope they are in stock. Be on the lookout cause if they are too loud or drony someone will get a chance to buy a set slightly used for $950 plus $40 frt.
Just a note of caution ... I ordered a set of Diablos off their site in August or so, they were out of stock and didn't come till November. No biggie there. However, when they got their new batch in the manufacturer forgot to weld on two nuts. When you remove your OEM cans you'll see one nut on each can that is welded on and you'll have to go to a local hardware store and buy two nuts that work.

View post on imgur.com

I put small red boxes around where the missing nuts will be. This is assuming the haven't fixed it.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_lm View Post
Just a note of caution ... I ordered a set of Diablos off their site in August or so, they were out of stock and didn't come till November. No biggie there. However, when they got their new batch in the manufacturer forgot to weld on two nuts. When you remove your OEM cans you'll see one nut on each can that is welded on and you'll have to go to a local hardware store and buy two nuts that work.

View post on imgur.com

I put small red boxes around where the missing nuts will be. This is assuming the haven't fixed it.
Thanks for looking out. I will check when I get home. I got them and unpacked yesterday. Didnt notice any nuts welded on

Update: Just checked them out. No nut welded on. Also one of the flange collars that goes to the exhaust isnt sitting flush against the pipe where it meets the factory flange/gasket. I suppose this will tighten down and not leak. Gonna give them a call anyway. Do you remember what size nut you needed?

Update 2: Called RE(great customer service by the way) said nut size is a meteric 8. As far as the flange it will cinch up once you get it close to being seated by finding the best(tightest) position before tighteing down. You do this by rotating by clamps since the factory one spins too.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings

Last edited by mousitch; 01-29-2010 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4Mr

Sounds 'bout right. I also had a great experience working with the guys at RE. Was a little disappointed about the missing nuts (teehehe) but their great customer service made up for it I suppose. Needless to say, $1200 MUFFLERS shouldn't be missing NUTS!

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_lm View Post
Sounds 'bout right. I also had a great experience working with the guys at RE. Was a little disappointed about the missing nuts (teehehe) but their great customer service made up for it I suppose. Needless to say, $1200 MUFFLERS shouldn't be missing NUTS!
I know that's right. Hopefully the sound will more than make up for it.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Loud....A little drone. But sounds like a race car. Louder inside the car then I thought. Did you all adjust the muffler positions by adjusting the way the exhaust pipe is mounted to the can? I tried adjusting height with the cla,ps but had to loosen and tighten the exhaust pipe to get it straight.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:39 AM   #16
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

yeh had to play around with all the adjustments but only took about 30mins to get it all lined up nicely.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
So what do you think of me adding an SS x-pipe to the mix. Louder more refined or the opposite? I know I'm working my way backwards to some AA headers. LOL. What do you think it would sound like with a SS unres x-pipe?

Last edited by mousitch; 02-01-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
So waht do you think of me adding an SS x-pipe to the mix. Louder more refined or the oppisite? I know Im working my way backwards to some AA headers. LOL. What do you think it would sound like with a SS unres x-pipe?
louder with lots of drone.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
louder with lots of drone.
Thats not what I want....drone is no good. Ill just stick with some aftermarket headers.

Last edited by mousitch; 02-01-2010 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0