ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
NFDoms2k1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cute Little Convertible

Putting an SMG in an Z4MCoupe

Gents,

I currently drive an E93 M3, but looking to get rid of her to create a more track oriented vehicle. Among a number of options, I am looking at picking up a Z4M Coupe - in fact my previous car was a non-M Z4 roadster and to be honest as far as driving around town that was much more fun than my M (however on the track or open road, there really is no contest - M hadns down).

Unfortunately, one of the issues I have now in buying cars, due to an injury, is that I cannot drive a manual transmission. Hopefully its not permanent, and maybe I should find a new (and cheaper!) hobby if it is. Anyway is it possible without extensive modification and ridiculous cost to throw an SMG II (or SMG III or DCT) into the car? I know the issue it wasn't an option in the first place was space, but I was hoping maybe there was a way to cram it in there without messing with the chassis.

Thanks for any help in this!
      12-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Depending on your budget. Anything is possible. A friend of mine retrofitted the SMG-2 on his E46 330Ci for about $12K (parts and install and a lot of programming). But then again it was a project/show car and he dropped $150K into that car over time.

The SMG 2 is said to not physically fit the Z4/Z4M due to size. The SSG, perhaps.

Or maybe just get the E89 Z4 35iS with DCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
The SMG 2 is said to not physically fit the Z4/Z4M due to size. The SSG, perhaps.
Whoever keeps saying that needs to stop, it's BS.

First you have to find a place for the pump/accumulator to fit. Then you will need custom hard lines.

The biggest part to tackle will be the inputs and outputs from the SMG to the ECU. The SMG ECU gets inputs from the car ECU as well as outputs to it.

The car ECU need to respond during gear shifts depending on the clutch location... this is going to be the tough part. Hardwares easy.
      01-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
NFDoms2k1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cute Little Convertible

Thanks guys, looks like I might as well just have a hand clutch slapped on there...or get a late 996tt tiptronic which is what I am likely gonna do. Yes, having an auto is gonna suck...but having a 30k mile turbo and cash in pocket in exchange for my M makes it a bit more bearable (market has really bottomed out on those)
      01-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Whoever keeps saying that needs to stop, it's BS.
That would be BMW GmBH - they claimed neither of the M3 transmissions would fit in the Z4M - it's why we got the 6-speed from the 3.0si.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
No offense, but why should we believe you? Please provide something more than hear-say, otherwise, my bet is that oCha is right on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsbmw View Post
No offense, but why should we believe you? Please provide something more than hear-say, otherwise, my bet is that oCha is right on this.
No reason you should, and to be honest I didn't get that from BMW, the press did. In pretty much every review at the launch of the Z4MR/C, it's mentioned that the M3's transmissions wouldn't fit. I wouldn't want SMG if it was offered, but if someone wants to make the attempt, I say go for it. If they do it, I get to be impressed. If they fail, I get to say I told you so. It's win-win.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Can you give a link to the press article?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

You can buy an 03-05 Z4 3.0i with SMG and add an ESS supercharger onto it & just do suspension upgrades, and it will be faster than a stock Z4M.

But they never came in coupe form.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
You can buy an 03-05 Z4 3.0i with SMG and add an ESS supercharger onto it & just do suspension upgrades, and it will be faster than a stock Z4M.

But they never came in coupe form.
You'll probably also want a quaife lsd
      01-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

The racing Z4 M uses a Xtrac 545 sequential gearbox. Yeah, I'm sure that's pricy!
      01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
That would be BMW GmBH - they claimed neither of the M3 transmissions would fit in the Z4M - it's why we got the 6-speed from the 3.0si.
Source please, doesn't matter either way because they lied if so, asking because that is probably just a rumor as well. They may have said it, but I have both an e46 smg and an M coupe, and I am under both cars on a lift multiple times a week.

It's well known that the Ms were built on a budget, otherwise they wouldn't have been allowed to build them.

Next time I'm under there I'm taking more specific measurements, lol.
      01-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't have links - the articles were in Car, Evo, and Roundel, iirc. I think the explanation was that the driveshaft was a bit shorter on the Z4Ms. As I said before, if you think it will work, go for it. I'd say there might be a reason Manhart Racing, AC Schnitzer, and Hartge were all able to fit a V10 engine into a Z4M, and yet not one has used an SMG trans or offered it as an option, which you think they would at their prices.

Last edited by epbrown; 01-11-2010 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Source please, doesn't matter either way because they lied if so, asking because that is probably just a rumor as well. They may have said it, but I have both an e46 smg and an M coupe, and I am under both cars on a lift multiple times a week.

It's well known that the Ms were built on a budget, otherwise they wouldn't have been allowed to build them.

Next time I'm under there I'm taking more specific measurements, lol.
You can be the first SMG swapped Z4M
      01-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I don't have links - the articles were in Car, Evo, and Roundel, iirc. I think the explanation was that the driveshaft was a bit shorter on the Z4Ms. As I said before, if you think it will work, go for it. I'd say there might be a reason Manhart Racing, AC Schnitzer, and Hartge were all able to fit a V10 engine into a Z4M, and yet not one has used an SMG trans or offered it as an option, which you think they would at their prices.
Driveshaft has nothing to do with it, it may be shorter or longer, but lengthening and shortening a driveshaft is cake to a tuner, let alone BMW. Again, budget, so they probably didn't want to bother.

Those tuners didn't offer SMG trans in other cars either, like I said before it's not about making it fit, that's easy. It's about getting the ecu to work with it. They are not independent by a long shot. SMG brain controls the dme and vise versa.