ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
BMWAgee
BMWAgee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0Si Sport

Exclamation HPF Z4 3.0Si

I am trying to raise interest in the turbo modification of a Z4 3.0Si by the very talented company Horsepower Freaks!!! Please post to show your interest, so we can make our cars the fastest roadsters on the road!!! Here's a link to their site for anyone who wants to read up on the company! www.horsepowerfreaks.com I am offering my car as a guinnea pig for it, but they only want to try if they can make a profit (obviously). Please help!

Last edited by BMWAgee; 07-19-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 570-4SL

+1 for Z4M

BMW.SG - Singapore's Ultimate BMW Enthusiast Community
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

I plan on building a single turbo intercooled system for my SI coupe as soon as the warranty is up.
Plenty of room for an upswept unit....just need to decide between using a MegaSquirt for fuel and spark or maybe by then...having someone flash the ECU for low boost .
I would think a baseline of 382.50 HP could be had with a low boost application. A more prepped engine for boost would have to be R&D'd til failure to know for sure.
I just worry if the mag block and bearings can handle the increased thrust on the crank bearings ??
I also query the results from dual vanos in a boosted application.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
very interested...
      07-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

These guys are down the road from me and i used to get some parts for my Rotrex s/c Celica as well.

They have a Rotrex kit for the 2.5i and i think they have done a 3.0 as well. Here is a link for the 2.5i, dynoed at 170kws ~ 230whp.
The Price is around AUD$6500 with ECU.

They also think they can tune a M with the Xede piggy back system.

http://www.bulletcars.com/supercharg...er-system.html

Just thought someone might be interested.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
M-Al
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3

+1 for M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Errrrm, I think people are missing the thread's title about 3.0 S.SI. ??
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

lol i was too lazy to make a new thread.

Id like to see them make a turbo kit for the 3.0 why not.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
lol i was too lazy to make a new thread.

Id like to see them make a turbo kit for the 3.0 why not.
Lol...I hear ya' ! The hardware would most likely be the same for SI or 3.0. Its the software that will need differing tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
prophetx2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I wonder how much of the hardware would be similar for the 3.0 and the M....

Tuning we can always go to ESS in Arizona. If I get the M kit I'd make the drive to ESS in Arizona to get the tune/install but, honestly with ESS's supercharger out there would have to be substantial power gains for less cost (since ESS already provides the tuning in their kit).

HPF makes some nice stuff thats for sure..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
BMWAgee
BMWAgee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetx2 View Post
I wonder how much of the hardware would be similar for the 3.0 and the M....

Tuning we can always go to ESS in Arizona. If I get the M kit I'd make the drive to ESS in Arizona to get the tune/install but, honestly with ESS's supercharger out there would have to be substantial power gains for less cost (since ESS already provides the tuning in their kit).

HPF makes some nice stuff thats for sure..
Unfortuantely, for us in the Si segment, we have N52 engines, which there isn't a single forced induction part out there (at least that I can find.. ). The 3.0 has an M54 engine... I'm honestly not sure if that makes for software of hardware differences between the two, all I know is that we Si's can get smoked by the heavily modified 3.0's, and that sucks! lol If ESS made a compatable s/c kit for the 3.0Si, and if it was reasonably priced, I'd have one RIGHT NOW! I prefer turbo's, but I'd take anything that works...
      07-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

We have to remember. ...that the Supercharger gets its motivation from added belts and added crank tension/drag.....whereas the turbo system gets its motivation from the exhaust flow via its turbo header/manifold.

THATS the big difference in components really.

Both systems require a boost compressor,Intercooler & piping,Blow-off valve for the cold side.

The benefit to a turbo system is having the added wastegate control for the hot side.....allowing boost to be controlled to a much higher amount than the static ceiling of the SC system.

The engine and ECU simply then need to see control points via the Manifold Air Pressure sensor and fuel needs its increase monitoring via maxed injectors or uprated versions.

A more serious track car pushing its limits would need a Wide BAnd Sensor to better manage Air and fuel.

I spoke with Roman about thinking of what they could do for the S.I. programming....he said he'd look into it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
BMWAgee
BMWAgee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
We have to remember. ...that the Supercharger gets its motivation from added belts and added crank tension/drag.....whereas the turbo system gets its motivation from the exhaust flow via its turbo header/manifold.

THATS the big difference in components really.

Both systems require a boost compressor,Intercooler & piping,Blow-off valve for the cold side.

The benefit to a turbo system is having the added wastegate control for the hot side.....allowing boost to be controlled to a much higher amount than the static ceiling of the SC system.

The engine and ECU simply then need to see control points via the Manifold Air Pressure sensor and fuel needs its increase monitoring via maxed injectors or uprated versions.

A more serious track car pushing its limits would need a Wide BAnd Sensor to better manage Air and fuel.

I spoke with Roman about thinking of what they could do for the S.I. programming....he said he'd look into it.
Thanks for the FI lesson (I'm definately a novice at all of this!) Glad to have another serious person looking into it..! Roman is the ESS guy, right?
      07-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAgee View Post
Thanks for the FI lesson (I'm definately a novice at all of this!) Glad to have another serious person looking into it..! Roman is the ESS guy, right?
Yeah,I hesitated posting all of that since several know it already....but I felt it might encourage/discourage some with knowing the parts list better.

Yes..Roman=ESS in AZ.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
midn12ght
gearhead goddess
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 sdrive35is

3.0si reporting for duty and interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #16
mkivbora
rubba duck squr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

very unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAgee View Post
I am trying to raise interest in the turbo modification of a Z4 3.0Si by the very talented company Horsepower Freaks!!! Please post to show your interest, so we can make our cars the fastest roadsters on the road!!! Here's a link to their site for anyone who wants to read up on the company! www.horsepowerfreaks.com I am offering my car as a guinnea pig for it, but they only want to try if they can make a profit (obviously). Please help!
I would like to know who you talked to at HPF? i know they have invested there next big project as the 335i and are sticking with the e46 m3 kits.
But in all honesty i asked if i could use the hpf kit on the z4m and its just not possible i mean the computer is completly different than the m3 they have invested hundreds of thousands into there ems for the e46 and the new 335i , it is a great idea i just dont see it happening unless z4 owners are willing to fork out $10000+ for a kit and the demand of more than 4 people would have to be there. If it were so id say hell ya im down but i really dont think it is likely anytime in near future. unless your willing to throw $100g+s at them for r&d and development.

im custom building a vf supercharger kit and bracket and talking with another company on writing me software for it , lowering the compression and running 8psi. currently i have a custom header back exhaust and custom induction and software that and am running at about 260 crank hp. so when im finished i will let you know how i did the kit and how much it will cost for you to build same thing. adaptable between 2.5 and 3.0 , and si . with software changes ofcourse

Last edited by mkivbora; 11-28-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

Hope I'm not resurrecting a dead thread
I have a few questions to pose for the tuners, experts and innovators.
Please see my comments/questions in regard to turbo retrofit for Z4 3.0si.

1- Is it possible to repurpose the (N54)335 twin turbo manifold for bolt on N52 application?
1a- Conversely is it possible to repurpose the (N55)335is single turbo manifold for bolt on N52 application?
From my research theN52/N54/N55 share same block dimensions (different material structure)
2- Is it possible to repurpose the newer (N55) ECU programming for use with the N52? (specifically since it is formulated for use with Vanos+Valvetronic which is a big time FI n52 tuning obstacle) Then add additional piping + low boost tune

I am confident these are the building blocks for single turbo n52 325/328/330/3.0si FI conversion.
Appreciate 0