ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Why the title then?

Good luck
Subject changed to Z4M crash. Happy ? please try to be kind, we are a Z4 family, this is a thread for positive thoughts to feel better about crashing the stress relief weapon.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
STIHLBOLTS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2020 Z4 M4.0i  [5.00]
Well far be it for me to lash you publicly in the town square of our community. It certainly looks like you are a sobbing mess already.

As you can tell, certain actions get little sympathy from your fellow Z4M owners and you stepped on one.

I wish your a speedy recovery and hope that you leave that DSC on when not on a track somewhere.

And one more .02 cents, don't change the color of your car, that silver is great looking.

Regards

2013 335is E93
2018 X5 35d
BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

There are a million things that everyone can do to drive more safely.

Sometimes, its just the luck of the draw and you seemed to be on the shitty end of this one. Its going to suck to have to go through all the repairs, but at least you're ok and you'll get a chance to refresh the car a bit in the process.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm really sad to see this. Hopefully after replacing a few body and suspension parts she'll align up correctly and that will be that. I hope she's back to 100% soon. You're okay, and it sounds like no one was injured, so given the possibilities and scenario the outcome is rather fortunate.

At one time or another there was probably a one corner that almost everyone has stepped around to quickly. In this particular case it happened to be one that ended up biting pretty harshly given all the the factors involved.

Am I making excuses? No. I just think that this is a good reminder that we all need to take care. There are things on the road that can really mess up one's day quickly (changing conditions, other drivers, traffic, etc). As capable as the car is, situations that quickly exceed those (and our) capabilities can be just around the corner (literally), and we need to take that into account with how we drive.

Last edited by Finnegan; 06-11-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #27
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
At one time or another there was probably a one corner that almost everyone has stepped around to quickly.
I can name MY corner. Exit to Riverside, Buttonwillow, Configuration 1 CCW.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #28
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Luckily you are ok. That's the most important thing. It looks like cosmetic damages to the car. Hope you get her fixed soon.

I didn't realize this forum can be so harsh. It's a little disappointing to be honest. Accident happens. OP already is in a very sad state and can use a little sympathy. Even pros make mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I can name MY corner. Exit to Riverside, Buttonwillow, Configuration 1 CCW.
Yup...
I recall one in particular that gave new meaning to 'pucker power' for me.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I'm just glad you are okay and nobody was injured.

And whatever you do, DON'T put a Z8 body kit on the car!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I'm just glad you are okay and nobody was injured.

And whatever you do, DON'T put a Z8 body kit on the car!!
hahaha hell NO :P i like the stock look more than any other "body kit"
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
No i didn't it's my fault for not concentrating on the road till it's too late + road conditions.
You should really work on your people skills mate, I'd appreciate it if your next reply can come out a little more comforting as I am the one who crashed his M not you sitting on the other side of the world.

and for god's sake when someone asks you for a favor in a PM, at least have the decency to reply that you don't wanna do it.
You said your brakes failed and you crashed and asked if anyone else had the same failure. That is blaming the car and not taking responsibility. I don't try to comfort people who don't take responsibility, I participate in shaming them so that they take responsibility and hopefully learn from their mistakes as a result.
      06-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #33
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Sorry to hear this. They damage easily, don't they Must agree with others re driving with DSC off on a highway, though it may not have made any difference.

Assuming you have insurance ... you might find that they prefer to write it off, rather than repair. Not sure about the US, but they tend to write off here in Oz when the repair cost exceeds 70% (I think) of the insured value. Not quite sure what is involved .. but looks like you will need a new right side-door, right rear-side panel, right under trim (under door), possibly new right front panel, new bonnet, prob radiator assembly, front bumpers ... that's a lot of panels.

Any airbags go off?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #34
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You said your brakes failed and you crashed and asked if anyone else had the same failure. That is blaming the car and not taking responsibility. I don't try to comfort people who don't take responsibility, I participate in shaming them so that they take responsibility and hopefully learn from their mistakes as a result.
Shaming is teaching huh? Good luck to your kids....

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #35
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Well enough with the parenting...
If you were to change the color, what color are you thinking about?
You could do something really wild like orange or lime green.
I mean you have the ess kit, so match the wild looks with the performance

And get the euro spec bumpers without those ridiculous indicator lights (maybe stealth the rear ones if you don't need a rear bumper)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #36
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post
Shaming is teaching huh? Good luck to your kids....
Fortunately nobody was hurt. Fact is, nothing anyone says now will erase the event. However, not only can the OP learn, but others can learn also, before it happens again to him, or the first time to someone else. Next time may not be so lucky; leveraging a teachable moment to possibly save a life trumps someone's feelings, IMHO.

First he said the brakes failed. Then he said the corner was not designed properly, the road was shitty and covered in dust, the heat affected the tires grip.

Personally I suspect the DSC being off is a red herring; unless the car spun, having it on would still not have appreciably improved those tires ability to stop the car in a short enough distance going that speed on hot dusty pavement.

All kinds of unpredictable things can happen, give yourself room. Simply obeying the speed limit is not enough. Ever heard of the 2 second rule? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule

You need to leave enough space in front of you to stop, based on the current conditions. If the road is dusty and low-grip, then the gap needs to be bigger than normal.

"If you hit another car; that's your fault. If another car hits you, that's your fault. If your car gets struck by a meteorite going down the back straight, THAT's bad luck." -Chip Ganassi, to driver Memo Rojas.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #37
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
No i didn't it's my fault for not concentrating on the road till it's too late + road conditions.
it.
this looks like accepting responsibility to me guys. Let's remember too that it takes some guts to come on a forum like this, with many very skilled drivers, and say "guys, I messed up".

And it is a timely reminder to us that accidents can happen to anyone.

Cheers and good luck getting that lovely M back in shape.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #38
flyzipper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Garage List
The chorus of people saying, 'driver error', and, 'don't drive faster than you can see', aren't saying it to be dicks, they're saying it to highlight the lesson.

If you don't learn it, you'll repeat it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #39
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Oh my God, stop bitching about "he said this bla bla bla, I've never made a mistake in my life". Maybe be messed up or maybe his brakes failed. I'm not sure. However, it still SUCKS that the car was damaged as a result of whatever went wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #40
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Thanks a lot for the support guys, it has been confirmed that a bunch of sixwheelers carrying some type of white construction material regularly pass by that road and sprinkle oil and this white material i was referring to dust on the floor and i was ableto see that many many accidents happened on that particular corner as the sidewalk is broken like a meteor hit over there.

Beware for your cars guys, our ABS doesn't work on these kind of surfaces. This is not the first time my car slides on such a surface and i am always cautious of that. On another note, I regularly test my brakes 200KM/H-0 runs and their effectiveness is unbelievably good, you could say there's BBK power under there.

On that corner, ABS didn't help on that slippery surface and i made a mistake of modulating brakes but then the car just went gliding, i don't know if it was a brake failure, traction failure, or i was just simply too fast for stopped traffic that wasn't supposed to be there without a warning.

what i was able to do and thank god i did that was i found a gap between 2 cars while sliding in those 2 seconds and steered the car in there in order to:
1- not have a frontal "costly" impact
2- not to hit the rear of some car and risk a baby flying around or someone snap his neck
3- split the hitting force on 2 cars to be able to stop the quickest possible
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #41
asirvr4
Private First Class
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe VRS Blue

At least you are fine that's what important. Use the opportunity to modify your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #42
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Glad your okay Bub, shit luck about the car, but hey you get to live and fight another day ; D
It's all about living