ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I read through the whole thing waiting to see what happened to the dog too. Guess it's a dog owners reaction. Hope the car gets fixed and you're back on the road soon.

Our dog got out of the yard once. I chased it as far as I could but he ended up getting hit running across a major intersection a block further from where I stopped to catch my breath. Heard the impact. Driver left the scene. Fortunately I was able to find him hiding under a car across the road. He had two broken teeth and a broken pelvis. He made it after $1200 worth of emergency vet care. I couldn't believe a 15 pound dog could make it against a car but two years later he's doing just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #24
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
I read through the whole thing waiting to see what happened to the dog too. Guess it's a dog owners reaction. Hope the car gets fixed and you're back on the road soon.

Our dog got out of the yard once. I chased it as far as I could but he ended up getting hit running across a major intersection a block further from where I stopped to catch my breath. Heard the impact. Driver left the scene. Fortunately I was able to find him hiding under a car across the road. He had two broken teeth and a broken pelvis. He made it after $1200 worth of emergency vet care. I couldn't believe a 15 pound dog could make it against a car but two years later he's doing just fine.
Wow. I'm surprised as well. Maybe it was just short enough to go under the guys car. Anyway, lucky dog.

I'm pretty sure with the z4 as low as it is and taking account the damage described, the animal died due to the impact -- probably rather quickly and without much suffering (hopefully). Sad. Most of the time, however, it's not the driver's fault for running over a dog/cat/other animal---unless the driver has a meaningful opportunity to stop and decides to take it out anyway. That would just be heartless.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #25
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

I agree. I don't imagine, unless the driver is a real s.o.b., they want to hit an animal. Hell I brake for squirrels. But at least stop and check on the animal to make sure they're not suffering. Wish the driver that hit our dog would have stopped to check on it. He was still alive and moving. I don't blame the driver, it's not his/her fault our dog ran in front of them. I give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they though the missed it. But I seriously doubt it, the impact was pretty loud as I heard it a block away.

I'm guessing that the bumper was high and caught him on the rear end and just sent him rolling down the road toward the curb. He was almost to the other side of the road when he got hit. Probably broke his pelvis from the impact and his teeth on the pavement. His face had road rash. I've always that that oddly, getting hit may have saved his life. If he didn't make it across that road he may have kept doing and we wouldn't have found him. There were other busier roads and a highway beyond.

He is a very, very lucky dog. I would have been crushed if he died. He's the sweetest little guy in the world.

Last edited by ANUSTART; 04-21-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:

I commend you for your efforts to save your dog. I'm sure I would have done the same thing if the dog was young enough to recover from the injuries. People have much more emotional ties to dogs than other animals that get hit on the road such as deer, possum, etc. so that is why we are all concerned about the dog moreso than if it were some other animal. Like others have said, I can't believe this thread started out talking only about the damage to the car.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #27
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinli217 View Post
same as above....
im a dog guy too...owning two cute dachshund.

so what happen to the dog?
My parents have a mini dachshund. Great breed.

I'm assuming the dog did not survive.
      04-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
wow, wish i never opened up the general section to see this first thing coming on here,
      04-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #29
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
I think some of us are really not giving the op the benefit of the doubt here. He is posting on a car forum and rightly or wrongly may have tailored his post to what he thinks most people would be interested in....the car. Just because he left out the details about the dog, this doesn't mean he is a heartless bastard or is not showing respect. Maybe we should consider sharing some empathy, as this was likely an upsetting ordeal for him, beyond the damage to his car. Seems like a little character assassination is going on, based on what he left out of his post, rather than what he actually said. Let's try not to personalize these things too much, no matter how tragic the event was.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcanadian View Post
I think some of us are really not giving the op the benefit of the doubt here. He is posting on a car forum and rightly or wrongly may have tailored his post to what he thinks most people would be interested in....the car. Just because he left out the details about the dog, this doesn't mean he is a heartless bastard or is not showing respect. Maybe we should consider sharing some empathy, as this was likely an upsetting ordeal for him, beyond the damage to his car. Seems like a little character assassination is going on, based on what he left out of his post, rather than what he actually said. Let's try not to personalize these things too much, no matter how tragic the event was.
I agree.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #31
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Most of us just want to know how the dog faired in the whole thing. Although most assumed the worst. We all know the car will get fixed. The dog... not so much. It's not his fault the dog ran out in front of him.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #32
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

Quote:
Most of us just want to know how the dog faired in the whole thing. Although most assumed the worst. We all know the car will get fixed. The dog... not so much. It's not his fault the dog ran out in front of him.
+1 for that
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #33
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
^ +1 Exactly. I wouldn't not want to be in this guy's shoes as I'm sure it was traumatic for him despite it not being in any way his fault.

I have a sense of what that's like to some degree: I am still upset years later after I had to take a cat I found hit in the road late one night to the ER vet where he unfortuntately had to be put down. So I get it, and I feel for this guy hitting the dog (and having his car damaged to boot which makes the damage even worse in many ways). Perhaps the OP didn't want to touch on it for that reason--point taken.

On the other hand, whether it's a car forum or not this subject is going to illicit an emotional reaction in many, me included. We're not looking for a mea culpa or any long drawn out tale or details which would be depressing and frankly unecessary. I don't hold anything against the OP, which may not have been clear given my initial emotional reaction on this thread. All I'm saying, perhaps with more clarity now, is that given the subject it would be nice to have some closure regarding the dog given the emotional chord it invariably strikes. Something short and simple like "sadly the dog did not survive". I've got to admit, and it's probably a failing in me, to not being able to put not knowing what happened to the dog behind me this morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #34
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

You guys are very quick to jump on the OP.
I'm hoping he just didn't complete his thoughts in the original post.
He probably had the same care and concern for the dog that we all do but simply neglected to put them down in writing.
Give him a break.

With so much vitriol going around,the OP surely won't respond now.
Everyone take it easy.
      04-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I've got to admit, and it's probably a failing in me, to not being able to put not knowing what happened to the dog behind me this morning.
Same here. I guess it's part of being a dog owner. It tears your heart apart when you hear a story like this. It makes you think there is a family or kid somewhere that doesn't know what happened to their family member. But you're right too, it really sucks for the person that hit the dog as well. Not only in damage to the car, but knowing that someone's pet was hit and didn't make it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #36
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhopkins1394 View Post
You guys are very quick to jump on the OP.
I'm hoping he just didn't complete his thoughts in the original post.
He probably had the same care and concern for the dog that we all do but simply neglected to put them down in writing.
Give him a break.

With so much vitriol going around,the OP surely won't respond now.
Everyone take it easy.
Most of us are empathizing with his situation as well. It's not one or the other, it's really both.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #37
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
He is damned if he does and damned if he does not.

If he would have started out that the dog died, someone would have said 'screw the dog, what happened to the car'.......

No one is happy...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #38
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
He is damned if he does and damned if he does not.

If he would have started out that the dog died, someone would have said 'screw the dog, what happened to the car'.......

No one is happy...
No doubt Shipkiller...............this has been a circus.

This has been an epic " SHEDDING LIGHT WHERE THERE IS NO DARKNESS" rant for certain.

I think IMZ4N said it best............besides, most drivers are in pure shock after hitting a living creature and wouldn't know the first thing to do if an animal was flailing in its last breathes.

Maybe a thread should be started and we can all voice scenarios and results of how to handle/deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #39
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Told you my scenario and what I did. Having said that, I have no idea what I would do if I hit a dog. I almost would not want to see if it had a collar and just try to convince myself that it was a stray :\ I do believe that no creature should have to live in pain though, so definitely would (and have) checked on anything (even the owl I hit once)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #40
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

sad story. glad to hear there are animal loving people out there.

hawkeye, i can't imagine how you hit an owl!?!

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi (1869-1948)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #41
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpthewire View Post
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi (1869-1948)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #42
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

I normally don't even open animals threads, since they bother me so much. I do feel bad for dead animals and yes I do swerve, even for squirels. What brought me in was pictures of the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post

This has been an epic " SHEDDING LIGHT WHERE THERE IS NO DARKNESS"
That is so going on my next shirt!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #43
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Wow just read through this whole thread and didnt expect such negative responses. You guys make it seem like I am some animal killer out there to run them over purposely. I was hoping to come on here to get some input on my accident and support.
The dog came out so fast that I couldnt even stop in time. Of course I feel bad for hitting the dog but whats done is done and I came on here to get comments on resolving this accident.

Also to Finnegan, yea it was definitely a FML moment. I dont know what you would call it yourself but killing a innocent dog and damaging my car is definitely a FML moment
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #44
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F82, 2018 AW F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasaline View Post
Wow just read through this whole thread and didnt expect such negative responses. You guys make it seem like I am some animal killer out there to run them over purposely. I was hoping to come on here to get some input on my accident and support.
The dog came out so fast that I couldnt even stop in time. Of course I feel bad for hitting the dog but whats done is done and I came on here to get comments on resolving this accident.

Also to Finnegan, yea it was definitely a FML moment. I dont know what you would call it yourself but killing a innocent dog and damaging my car is definitely a FML moment

you wanted advice about your car on a car post site? you had a terrible accident that resulted in hundreds of dollars of damage to your car and you thought a bunch of gear heads would offer advice about the car and not flame you about the admittedly sad death of a dog? (and i am a major pet lover).

i dont understand your logic at all!
Appreciate 0