ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #45
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

I wave/flash other Mz drivers whenever I see them. Usually I try to do it with non-m coupes as well, but I have been pretty unsuccessful with getting anything back haha.

If I see a normal z4 driver looking at me, I will most definitely give them some form of acknowledgment

The funniest is when you see other M drivers (e9x mostly) looking over at your car in stopped freeway traffic wondering where all that noise is coming from

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdejong11129 View Post
And yes, I freely admit, I drive a non-M only because an M was out of my price range....someday...
I could have grabbed an M, but at the time my wife was adamant that if she were going to agree to us buying a sports car, it would have to be an automatic so she could drive it. So, that ruled out the M.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #47
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcanadian View Post
I am going to assume you mean your car's headlights are what you flash??

I like to give a wave, but not too many people seem to care, which I think is too bad.
Yeah, I literally LOL'd on that one!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #48
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep

"The next step down are M roadsters. Although they're not quite as rare as M coupes, they're still decently rare. Because they're M, you still are at a high chance of looking at an enthusiast. M's cost quite a bit of penny more than a non-M after all.

Next level down would be the Z coupes. Again, a relative rarity. Pretty self-explanatory there.

Then we get to your average everyday Z's (which as you know are in the tens of thousands in... "

Open minded?
You just got through ranking us in your very own little caste system.
My little Z4 , also, just let out a sniffle and a sob.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #49
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhopkins1394 View Post
"The next step down are M roadsters. Although they're not quite as rare as M coupes, they're still decently rare. Because they're M, you still are at a high chance of looking at an enthusiast. M's cost quite a bit of penny more than a non-M after all.

Next level down would be the Z coupes. Again, a relative rarity. Pretty self-explanatory there.

Then we get to your average everyday Z's (which as you know are in the tens of thousands in... "

Open minded?
I'm pretty sure he's just talking about production numbers... Z enthusiasts are too rare to discriminate!

2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #50
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep

I'm too busy drinking and texting to wave. And I'm constantly telling my wife to put her shirt down and stop flashing the other Z4 drivers.

But, really, in Dallas, there is so much traffic, I often don't see them wave.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #51
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
I'm too busy drinking and texting to wave. And I'm constantly telling my wife to put her shirt down and stop flashing the other Z4 drivers.
'MERICA!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #52
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I resisted numerous sports cars ago; citing "true sports cars have standard transmissions". That served me well over the years and she just expects it now. She knows she can get her own (auto) if she wants but we both know that isn't likely to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I could have grabbed an M, but at the time my wife was adamant that if she were going to agree to us buying a sports car, it would have to be an automatic so she could drive it. So, that ruled out the M.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #53
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
About five month ago I was having brunch with my best friend in the Winter Park area of Orlando (very expensive area). As we were leaving an older gentleman in a Ferrari 360 Spider passed and waved to me! My friend said it must be a convertible thing. All I know is I felt like I was just asked out by the hottest woman on the planet!!!
      01-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #54
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:

Open minded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post
I'm pretty sure he's just talking about production numbers... Z enthusiasts are too rare to discriminate!

Plus, there's really no other way of differentiating between the models without somebody getting butthurt
Really just can't please everyone, so I stopped trying long ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #55
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I certainly don't feel thst my 3.0si is in any way inadequate. And I note that the Atlantic chapter of the BMW Club of Canada chose my car for the cover of the January newsletter. Read 'em and weep, boys:

http://bmwclubatlantic.ca/propellor.html

But don't despair. In the right light, an M may look almost as good as my Z4 clearly does.

But seriously. All of us here are true Z4 enthusiasts regardless of what model we drive. Everyone here has an awesome car - I think that is a given fact.

Cheers

Last edited by Huz-Z; 01-31-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #56
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post

Plus, there's really no other way of differentiating between the models without somebody getting butthurt
Really just can't please everyone, so I stopped trying long ago.
There's this magic thing called connotation. Words like "average" and "everyday," when used in this context, have a very snobbish connotation. Diction is very important on the internet. There's nothing else to help convey what you mean. Putting a bit more thought into that post would have made you come off as much more reasonable instead of a dick.

I got your point after you clarified what you meant. You just expressed yourself very poorly initially.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #57
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

i acknowledge any nice car or modded car really. i think the other drivers know why
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #58
Foxland
Private
Rep
Drives: Merlot Red Z4 3.0 Roadster

I guess if you are an "enthusiast" you wave. You appreciate your car and hope the person you are waving to is also appreciative of the car they are driving. I guess you can drive a Miata, or a Mini or whatever and be an enthusiast and hope that you have something in common with the drivers of your brand. Lets face it, most drivers buy for other reasons, transportation, prestige etc. and couldnt give a rat's a** about someone else driving the same car. More than likely they don't know if the car has a 3 liter or a 3.2 or 3.6 liter engine, 0-60 times, 60-0, cornering G's or anything else about the workings. Many buy strictly based on ads they have seen, or colors or what they think their neighboor or friends will think, those people will never wave, they are clueless. I will wave or flash and when it's returned I know it's from someone who appreciates what he/she is driving. By the way, I want an M too, I still love my used 04, but wouldn't mind an M, love the coupe but I am into the ragtop, especially when the weather is 75 and sunny...maybe one day when I have some additional disposable $$.

Mo
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #59
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Semi-related story that is kind of sad/funny.

My first car was a Honda del Sol that I got when I was 15 and learned how to drive stick on. One of the first few times I took it out by myself when I got my license I saw another del Sol driver. He beeped at me from the gas station as I was sitting at the light and I got so excited and beeped back...then when the light turned green a few seconds later I stalled right in front of him.

Sooo embarassing.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #60
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel91 View Post
There's this magic thing called connotation. Words like "average" and "everyday," when used in this context, have a very snobbish connotation. Diction is very important on the internet. There's nothing else to help convey what you mean. Putting a bit more thought into that post would have made you come off as much more reasonable instead of a dick.

I got your point after you clarified what you meant. You just expressed yourself very poorly initially.
People choose to be sensitive on matters. There really is no helping it
You do realize that it's always the non-M crowd instigating crap by accusing others? It's like how small dogs have a need to bark all the time because they feel inferior, even if no-one ever points fingers. There's really nothing anyone can say or do. If you choose to get butthurt, there's really no stopping it. I really could care less because I know what I meant, and that's that. After all I've done to try and clarify to you and have you come to your senses, I feel like I've gotten nowhere. I give up completely. You win. This is a total waste of my time.

Quote:
Open minded?
I let out a chuckle each time people choose to read things and comprehend them in a connotative way & get butthurt over nothing. And then demand justice

Last edited by mfanatic325; 02-01-2011 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #61
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
You do realize that it's always the non-M crowd instigating crap by accusing others? It's like how small dogs have a need to bark all the time because they feel inferior, even if no-one ever points fingers. There's really nothing anyone can say or do. If you choose to get butthurt, there's really no stopping it. I really could care less because I know what I meant, and that's that. After all I've done to try and clarify to you and have you come to your senses, I feel like I've gotten nowhere. I give up completely. You win. This is a total waste of my time.
Did you actually read what I wrote? I said I got your point. Once more for emphasis, I said I understood what you meant and saw your line of reasoning. I was pointing out you did a poor job of expressing yourself in that first post. You came off as a dick because you chose your words very poorly.

You said it's reasonable for M owners not to wave to owners of the "everyday" Z4. Let's take a look at the synonyms in the thesaurus for "everyday:"

accustomed, average, commonplace, conventional, customary, daily, dime a dozen, dull, familiar, frequent, garden variety, habitual, informal, lowly, mainstream, middle-of-the-road, mundane, normal, ordinary, per diem, plain, prosaic, quotidian, routine, run-of-the-mill, stock, unexceptional, unimaginative, unremarkable, usual, vanilla, whitebread, wonted, workaday

Those are some pretty negative, snobbish words. Now, granted, this isn't what you meant. You meant that there is a much larger amount of non M Z4s and that the price of entry is lower (meaning that the performance that is a major selling point of all Z4s doesn't have to be as big a deal to the buyer) so encountering a Z4 owner with only mild interest in cars/this car is very possible, whereas it is unlikely to come upon a disinterested M owner. However, what you meant isn't what you said. You used words associated with all those negative words up there and that, really, had little to do with your main point. Is it really any wonder people thought you were being a snob in that post?

You're really not helping your case with posts like the on I'm quoting, either.

Finally, my Z4 has a much bigger bite than your M, so I can assure you there is no inferiority complex involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #62
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Zpost is slowly imploding...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #63
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:

I let out a chuckle each time people choose to read things and comprehend them in a connotative way & get butthurt over nothing. And then demand justice
POTM or DOTM?

hahahahahah... yea i'm not helping. if it's any consolation, i know mfanatic meant no harm, despite his poor choice of wording. let's move on.
      02-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #64
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Zpost is slowly imploding...

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #65
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
if I find one parked, I usually slash a tire. I'm very competitive
Yeah, me too. If I see another Z, I just sneek up behind it, wait for a turn, catch the corner of its rear bumper and spin it out. I tell you, it's not safe out there these days...
      02-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #66
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I think its fair to say that everyone here is a major enthusiast of the Z4, whether he or she drives a roadster, coupe or M variant. As such, I think its clear that we would all wave to each other on the road. With all five fingers, not just one.

So everyone, off to the local Internet corner pub for a cold beer, a few wings and a chorus of kumbya!

Appreciate 0