ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Just a car?!? That is an outrageous claim Mr. OutOn.

Glad you're okay at least, hopefully the M makes it as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #24
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

o man ... one of the nicest M on the board is gone.

Well at least u are fine so still alive to build another one!

i hope u won't be too frustrated over the accident as Outon said its just a car no big deal. U can get another one!
      04-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
My insurance covers all racing events, they will drop your ass afterwards, but they cover it.
Interesting. I know most insurance companies have started excluding competitive events, so if there's timing you're screwed, or any driving surface used for racing, so you're screwed regardless. I should check my policy...

Quote:
It was the high speed entry, I was using street tires (first day on supercharger wanted the forgiveness). Didn't have any extra room to track out with then higher speed, lifted to hard when I got to the edge of the track and sent the back out.

Few things would have saved me, not taking the pass is what I absolutely should have done. or I should have braked into and through the corner but there were a lot of people behind me (not me holding them up) and I didn't want to do that (but should have) since it would likely cause trouble behind.
Something I started practicing last season, and I recommend this to everyone I talk to, is to for 1 session per day try driving completely off-line. Take turns from the middle of the track to simulate not being able to get over after a pass. Brake late to simulate coming in to a turn too hot. Etc.

I know that if I am approaching a turn-in with too much speed, I just keep going straight to get more braking done and turn-in late. A few extra feet of braking can and will bring you speed down significantly and to something more reasonable and safe. Plus, with the resulting late apex you track out to the middle of the road which is obviously a safe place to be after you've come in too hot and your nerves are on edge. Its very tough to keep mental poise in these kinds of situations when they're happening for real so the practicing really helps. It certainly did this past Monday at The Glen when I coming in way too fast in a downhill brake zone in monsoon rain.

No need to brake through the turn. No need to risk trail braking, either, at a higher than comfortable speed. Just keep going straight and turn-in late. If you've passed someone and a late turn-in will bring you off the track, don't cross back in front of the person you've passed. Stay in the middle of the course, which gives you more room continue braking in a straight line, and turn-in late.

Either way, I hope it all works out. At the very least, the rebuild (if possible) will be tremendously educational. Take pictures!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Something I started practicing last season, and I recommend this to everyone I talk to, is to for 1 session per day try driving completely off-line. Take turns from the middle of the track to simulate not being able to get over after a pass. Brake late to simulate coming in to a turn too hot. Etc.

+1 I do this about once a week on my way to work... you never know when you'll need it
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #27
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///Mamba View Post
LOL @ you. Its called Karma.
hehe leave me outta this! i'm still waiting to get my car back from the shop. 7k in suspension damage at an autox. As mario andretti once said, if you don't sometimes walk back to the pit with just the steering wheel, you're not trying hard enough.

Ocha, glad you're ok. Expensive lessons to learn, but in the end you lived to apex another turn and that's what's important.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #28
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
LOL @ you. Its called Karma.
It is BAD to laugh at other's misfortune on the track. VERY BAD. Expect Carma to get you and get you hard. I've never seen anyone who laughed at someone else's crash, no matter how big of a douche the crashee is (or is not), to not get what's coming to them themselves when they least expect it.

BAAAAAAAAAAAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
I hope everyone you're sharing the track with KNOWS you're doing this, because, if not, it is a very dangerous practice and should be avoided. Ideally, everyone on track has one goal: To go as fast as possible in a safe manner (except when you're racing). When one or more person is not on that same page, bad things happen. It may not happen to you, but bad things happen. So I hope you announce to the group that this is indeed what you're doing so it does not catch anyone else off-guard.

Or better yet, take Race Schools in your local area. These are the type of exercises best practiced in controlled environment where everyone else understands that this is indeed what you're trying to do intentionally. Otherwise...Baaaaaaaaaaad things happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #29
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

how did you incur the suspension damage at the autoX? did you crash?

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #30
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I hope everyone you're sharing the track with KNOWS you're doing this, because, if not, it is a very dangerous practice and should be avoided. Ideally, everyone on track has one goal: To go as fast as possible in a safe manner (except when you're racing). When one or more person is not on that same page, bad things happen. It may not happen to you, but bad things happen. So I hope you announce to the group that this is indeed what you're doing so it does not catch anyone else off-guard.

Or better yet, take Race Schools in your local area. These are the type of exercises best practiced in controlled environment where everyone else understands that this is indeed what you're trying to do intentionally. Otherwise...Baaaaaaaaaaad things happen.
It also takes a working knowledge of the cars around you and whether they're front-wheel drive or not as they take different lines than a rear-wheel drive car. Although, one should always be driving their own line and not following that of the driver in front of them...
      05-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #31
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Can't decide what color to get now. I want another Interlagos one but there are no acceptable ones for sale. I would be OK with Imola but only acceptable ones are way far away. And maybe gray/red combo but the only one of those the guy wont respond.

Auto trader doesn't have many listings, anyone know any other good sources.
      05-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #32
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

[QUOTE=The HACK;5028077]It is BAD to laugh at other's misfortune on the track. VERY BAD. Expect Carma to get you and get you hard. I've never seen anyone who laughed at someone else's crash, no matter how big of a douche the crashee is (or is not), to not get what's coming to them themselves when they least expect it.

BAAAAAAAAAAAD.
QUOTE]

Luckily for me, I dont track my car and wont have to worry about this. OP is a douche and in every thread he posts in, he either belittles someone or shows off his vast wealth of knowlege. You can do it in a polite way, therefore, i think he is a douche and am happy he crashed haha. One less cocky snob on the road...oh well, bad karma for me.
      05-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #33
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Alpine White FTW ! hahaha

If I was to get a new one / color, I'd think about Black or IB... but I really love the AW.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #34
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

What a crybaby.
      05-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #35
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
What a crybaby.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Check eBay. There are 2-3 Interlagos ones up there fairly priced last I checked.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #37
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:

Luckily for me, I dont track my car and wont have to worry about this. OP is a douche and in every thread he posts in, he either belittles someone or shows off his vast wealth of knowlege. You can do it in a polite way, therefore, i think he is a douche and am happy he crashed haha. One less cocky snob on the road...oh well, bad karma for me.
You're in for a rough life with that attitude BM... you shouldn't act / say sh%t like that no matter what you think of the guy.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #38
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The space grey on red has always been my favorite combination. I do love my Imola, though. One thing I've learned about spending time on the track is that a darker car definitely doesn't show the wear as much...I spend the next day after every track session rubbing black off of every panel (including windshild and roof) from flying rubber (maybe I follow too closely? )
      05-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #39
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Check eBay. There are 2-3 Interlagos ones up there fairly priced last I checked.
Coupes? I only saw one and it's way far away. Problem is I really want black/carbon interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
You're in for a rough life with that attitude BM... you shouldn't act / say sh%t like that no matter what you think of the guy.
I would be butt hurt if I got owned as hard as he did too though.
      05-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #40
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
The space grey on red has always been my favorite combination. I do love my Imola, though. One thing I've learned about spending time on the track is that a darker car definitely doesn't show the wear as much...I spend the next day after every track session rubbing black off of every panel (including windshild and roof) from flying rubber (maybe I follow too closely? )
Gray just isn't bold though. Might be better though I doubled my driving record in the time I drove the blue one.

The coupe really does look like a totally different car in red.
      05-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #41
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

if i didnt get white the next color id probably get is gray or black, both with red int. and carbon trim
      05-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #42
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Good luck finding a replacement. I can't wait to drive mine again...just walking by it daily is getting old, especially when I want/need to drive places. I hate relying others to get around...sorry for the mild threadjack.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #43
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Just a car?!? That is an outrageous claim Mr. OutOn.

Glad you're okay at least, hopefully the M makes it as well.

I´m sorry if my statement sounded too hard for you. I didn´t want to get that from my post. Probably the expression "It´s just a car" doesn´t work in english the same way as in spanish. Anyway, my only point was to show my happiness because O-cha was ok himself. He can/will get another very special ride soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #44
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

Quote:

I would be butt hurt if I got owned as hard as he did too though.
I see what you did there. How's the car running?