ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #67
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Thanks. I haven't been over to bimmerpost for a long time. Time to revisit them.

Also found this here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...smission+fluid

I'm actually surprised there isn't a sticky in the DIY sub-forum here w/ P/N's for general maintenance items & options. That or I missed it. (ib4)
      02-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #68
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Thanks. I haven't been over to bimmerpost for a long time. Time to revisit them.

Also found this here: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...smission+fluid

I'm actually surprised there isn't a sticky in the DIY sub-forum here w/ P/N's for general maintenance items & options. That or I missed it. (ib4)
that would be a great idea, anyone already have something like this made up?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #69
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
that would be a great idea, anyone already have something like this made up?
That link I posted a few posts back is Ron's guide. It has the part numbers and the torque values. The only difference is I used aftermarket oils instead of BMW oils, which btw, I've not experienced any difference since the switch. Based on the service history, I'm pretty sure the oil I drained out was from the 1200 mile service. I'm just glad to have new fluid in there. When it comes time to change again, I'm going to try Redline MTL in the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #70
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That link I posted a few posts back is Ron's guide. It has the part numbers and the torque values. The only difference is I used aftermarket oils instead of BMW oils, which btw, I've not experienced any difference since the switch. Based on the service history, I'm pretty sure the oil I drained out was from the 1200 mile service. I'm just glad to have new fluid in there. When it comes time to change again, I'm going to try Redline MTL in the tranny.
ahh i see, i was saying for an overall maintenance list, like the other guys suggested. not just diff and tranny. yea im definetely doing synchromax for my tranny and i may actually go with redline for the diff, but i'm still debating that. i feel like it may be better than the saf-xj but not as good as the fm booster? but way cheaper? just a guess... i'll talk to the master tech that i'm close with and see if he has any opinion on the matter
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #71
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
ahh i see, i was saying for an overall maintenance list, like the other guys suggested. not just diff and tranny. yea im definetely doing synchromax for my tranny and i may actually go with redline for the diff, but i'm still debating that. i feel like it may be better than the saf-xj but not as good as the fm booster? but way cheaper? just a guess... i'll talk to the master tech that i'm close with and see if he has any opinion on the matter
Any idea when BMW started pushing out the FM Booster? The service history shows the 1200 mile service was performed in April of 07. I'm trying to get an idea as to whether or not the car may have had it in there or not. I've not heard any grinding from the diff since I took ownership and I've also not heard any grinding since switching to the Redline 75w140, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #72
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

yea i wish i knew. i was wondering the same thing. i havent experienced any grinding myself. whether that's due to it not being an issue in my car, or because i have the fm booster, i do not know.

also, while we're talking about diff and tranny fluids in this thread, it seems there's variances in how often people change these fluids. i was planning on about every 30,000 miles. any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #73
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

I'm going with every 30k. My car currently has 31k.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #74
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking general maintenance list like Z4Murder. Ron Stygar (and Jim Millet) have posts/threads scattered about w/ loads of good info, but there isn't anything compiled as a one stop shop. I just figure it'd be nice to have a 'stickied' thread w/ all the general maintenance P/N's and info (both here and one other Z forums). In the case of fluids, something w/ OE and alternative P/N's (kind of like the 'stickied' "Z4M Official Mod List" thread). Maybe I'll try to compile something as I have time. Should be good practice w/ the search function.
      02-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #75
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Yeah, I was thinking general maintenance list like Z4Murder. Ron Stygar (and Jim Millet) have posts/threads scattered about w/ loads of good info, but there isn't anything compiled as a one stop shop. I just figure it'd be nice to have a 'stickied' thread w/ all the general maintenance P/N's and info (both here and one other Z forums). In the case of fluids, something w/ OE and alternative P/N's (kind of like the 'stickied' "Z4M Official Mod List" thread). Maybe I'll try to compile something as I have time. Should be good practice w/ the search function.
i wish you luck my friend. i dont have the patience to be honest
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #76
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Just an update. I've put close to 1,500 miles on my car since changing out my differential and transmission fluids. Not a single problem. No grinding from the differential and the transmission feels great. I see no point in using the OEM fluids for either of these components, especially when you have to pay screw-me-in-the-ass prices. I'll stick with the Castrol TWS 10w60 for the engine simply because I have done enough research to know it's great oil and was specifically designed for the S54.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #77
fighting_fish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.5i Z4 2004

@bosstones: If you add the part numbers and such to this thread. At some point I'm going to restructure it so that all that great info is compiled in one post for sticky.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #78
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just an update. I've put close to 1,500 miles on my car since changing out my differential and transmission fluids. Not a single problem. No grinding from the differential and the transmission feels great. I see no point in using the OEM fluids for either of these components, especially when you have to pay screw-me-in-the-ass prices. I'll stick with the Castrol TWS 10w60 for the engine simply because I have done enough research to know it's great oil and was specifically designed for the S54.
good to hear. you with with synchromax for the tranny and redline for the diff? i may be leaning towards this route
Appreciate 0