ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Z4-Life
UA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Magnetic Drain Plugs

I am planning on draining and replacing my Bimmer's oil, tranny and diff fluids and then changing out the stock drain plugs for magnetic ones.

I've seen BavAuto carries magnetic drain plugs for oil, tranny, and diff for about 29.95 - 34.95 a piece made by Dimple.
http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...e=SS%20M12X1.5

ECS Tuning and Tuner Motorsports also carry oil magnetic oil drain plugs at 9.95 - 12.95 each.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z4-2.5i...Plug/ES251839/
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/show...-for-most-bmws

Can any one who has used these or any other magnetic drain plug comment on the quality and performance of these plugs. I was wondering what the differences are.
(I've read elsewhere BavAuto can be overpriced at time)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I got the oil pan drain plug from ECS and it's nice, works fantastic. I like it because it uses a hex head rather than the allen that's OEM. I need to get the ones for tranny and the diff...

I bet you could find a magnetic plug anywhere for the tranny and diff, it's just an M18 x 1.5 thread for the tranny, and a M22 x 1.5 for the diff... I think $30 for a friggen plug is ridiculous, so I'm gonna spend some time finding out exactly what I need.. Remember also you only need magnetic for the drain, not the fill plug.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Stay away from that blue plug from Turner. I had mine lose its threads on the hex-side which was NOT a lot of fun to deal with.

I like that the BavAuto part, honestly.
      05-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

hah -- honestly I can't remember where I sourced all my plugs from because I sat on them waiting to do the oil changes or gearbox/diff changes. Finally have both the E85 and E46 with all plugs replaced. I know I did buy all that BavAuto had, and found (I think) the rear diff plug from BMP, or Bimmian.

But this you may find interesting... prior to installing the magnetic gearbox plug...
After last winter I noticed a drip under the drain plug of my 330i's gearbox drain plug. I had it tightened at my indy shop late last summer for the same thing. It was doing it again (!) after this winter.
So clearly the seasonal cold/heat expansion is a factor.
Thing is, these OEM plugs are really one time (lifetime fill) use, only. And it is true brother. My initial change-out for Redline MTL retained that original plug, and there was no tightening it to stop that slow drip. Two winters and same symptom as the garage warmed up.

All these magnetic plugs are tight and dry. The neo magnets are probably overkill (overkill, my middle name) since I do not drag out fluid change intervals. But I like bolt-on/bolt-in mods that are easy.
Hope this helps someone considering them.
Appreciate 0