ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
11fbwd
Also likes: Volvos
Rep
Drives: 06 3.0si + Aerodynamic kit

New Z Needs New Tires! Any Advice?

Just picked up my new new Z...'06 3.0si roadster. Drove it 800 miles home too!

One strike against it, however, is the tires. While both sets are newish and have tons of tread, they are not suitable for the car. Right now, we have a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS on the back and a set of BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 in front. The rears are the correct size (255/35/18) but the fronts are 245/40/18. At least now I know why it tram lines so badly.

Anyways, wanted to seek some input from the board on replacements. I do plan on visiting an auto cross or track day once or twice though primarily this is a summer spirited cruiser.

Question 1: Worth it to go up a size on front/rear/both? I realize closer to square is better for track work but this is not the primary use of the car.

Question 2: Any favorite tires? I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the Hankook Ventus RS3.

Thanks for any insights!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The Michelin PSS is the go-to tire for many peeps.
I've burned through a couple sets and really liked them.
The Hankook aren't too bad. They're cheaper but don't wear as well, so cost wise it's pretty much a wash in the end.
Burned through a set of those, too.
You'll like the Michelin PSS better.
      03-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon
The Michelin PSS is the go-to tire for many peeps.
I've burned through a couple sets and really liked them.
The Hankook aren't too bad. They're cheaper but don't wear as well, so cost wise it's pretty much a wash in the end.
Burned through a set of those, too.
You'll like the Michelin PSS better.
Listen to StickMon.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I'd have to advise with the above. +2.

I have a set of Bridgestone PS107s I believe, only because I got them all mounted for 50% of the cost of the tires (little deal from a company friend). But I can't say I would do them again. I just jumped on them because they weren't expensive to me and my old PSS's were going bald.

I had a set of Conti's originally and I have to say they were not my favorite, although the wear is great, the feel was still behind the Bridgestones to me.
      03-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
Bossdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR Imola Red

My use will be similar to yours, less track ( AutoX and Spirited Summer Sunny Driving)
I just put new Bridgestone RE-11's on my New Apex ARC-8's
I have yet to put them to the test as I am in Michigan and weather has not permitted. I saw this summary elsewhere and thought it was a good summary for considering RE-11 vs PSS:

- Both are very grippy tires. PSS is better in the wet and RE-11's better on dry pavement.

- RE-11 is louder under load than PSS.

- RE-11 is gripper than PSS under load and heat.

- RE-11 has better steering response. (It's grip, duh!)

- PSS has better tread wear for DD.

- PSS will not last as long under track use

I chose not to go with the New Bridgestone RE-71's as many here suggested, as they are more a track oriented tire, louder, faster ware with more grip. The RE-11's have been around a long time and always get good reviews both autoX/Track and street use.

I know everyone here loves the PSS. Each person has to balance their priorities. I thought the RE-11's fit my balance as my Z4MR is not a DD.

Here is the Tire Rack review of the Hankook R-S3
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a...-to-the-street

Good Luck!

Last edited by Bossdog; 03-26-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
11fbwd
Also likes: Volvos
Rep
Drives: 06 3.0si + Aerodynamic kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossdog View Post
My use will be similar to yours, less track ( AutoX and Spirited Summer Sunny Driving)
I just put new Bridgestone RE-11's on my New Apex ARC-8's
I have yet to put them to the test as I am in Michigan and weather has not permitted. I saw this summary elsewhere and thought it was a good summary for considering RE-11 vs PSS:

- Both are very grippy tires. PSS is better in the wet and RE-11's better on dry pavement.

- RE-11 is louder under load than PSS.

- RE-11 is gripper than PSS under load and heat.

- RE-11 has better steering response. (It's grip, duh!)

- PSS has better tread wear for DD.

- PSS will not last as long under track use

I chose not to go with the New Bridgestone RE-71's as many here suggested, as they are more a track oriented tire, louder, faster ware with more grip. The RE-11's have been around a long time and always get good reviews both autoX/Track and street use.

I know everyone here loves the PSS. Each person has to balance their priorities. I thought the RE-11's fit my balance as my Z4MR is not a DD.

Here is the Tire Rack review of the Hankook R-S3
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a...-to-the-street

Good Luck!
I'm also in MI, and today was the first day I brought the Z out in almost a month! Your input is appreciated as I am also now torn between the RE-11 and PSS. It's not a daily driver for me either, but aside from a few auto-x days and maybe a day or two at Waterford this is just a spirited warm weather toy for me too.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fbwd View Post
I'm also in MI, and today was the first day I brought the Z out in almost a month! Your input is appreciated as I am also now torn between the RE-11 and PSS. It's not a daily driver for me either, but aside from a few auto-x days and maybe a day or two at Waterford this is just a spirited warm weather toy for me too.
For me it's come down to price. But price aside I'd go with PSS since they don't need as much heat as RE11 to reach optimal temps and can handle occasional track duty.
      04-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
MeisterS
Rennfahrer
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi E36 M3 & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fbwd View Post
While we are at it:

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-d...potenza-re-11a

I have run through 2 sets of PSS and I couldnt be more satisfied like most of the folks here, but I have heard nothing but good reviews about RE71rs too.

P.S- Didn't realize there were a handful of Zposters from the mitten state, maybe we can set up a meet sometime?

Current- Jerez Black E92 M3 | Arctic Silver E36 M3/4/5 | Monaco Blue E90 325xi
Past- AW Z4-M roadster| JB Z4-3.0si | '98 Accord V6 coupe
Appreciate 0