ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-07-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

So I did a couple of mods... :o

I have acquired quite a few mods in the last week.

Earlier in the week, I got my grills painted matte black. Not a huge deal (dropped it off at the bodyshop near work and they did it for free lol), but I think it really cleans up the front end while making it look way more aggressive!

A few days ago, I purchased RPi GT exhaust (the first final production model), with custom gloss black tips They are dirty in the pics though, sorry! I havent seen many cars do this, but Im thinking that a somewhat blacked out car on some shiney silver LMs wont look too bad if I can manage in the near future

Its definitely a change from the stock exhaust. My car turns heads (READ: snaps necks lol) now and I feel like I really have to cool it around cops. Double edged sword I guess. Its definitely my favorite mod so far though, and although it is a bit stressful to drive around the police, the sound it makes is AMAZING. It is very deep (i havent heard any other exhaust like it for the s54) in the lower revs, but once you get to 4500 it starts to scream its way into the familiar higher pitched mechanical s54 roar!

It changes the sound of the engine at various rpms, and the car sounds linear up to redline (i hope this makes sense). this in turn makes it MUCH easier to heel toe (i used to have to think about where i was in the powerband, now i can just hear it). It also probably helps that you cant not hear what rpm youre at

The day after, I got the RPi air filter and scoops!
I havent installed the scoops yet, does anyone know where I can the DIY?
I took out the carbon filter and swapped out the stock one... I wish I could hear a difference over the exhaust

And today I got Dans Decals reflector covers and my ZHP knob from Tischer.

Tischers Service was some of the best I have encountered. I ordered my knob for the advertised $60, and it was at my door 4 days later . I just put it on tonight before GF and I went to the movies, but in the little driving time I had, I could definitely feel a difference! I dont know why I didnt do this mod sooner . The knotchiness feels pleasant now; its like a reassurance that you are in gear more than something that you have had to battle since you bought the car . The rubber feeling is completely gone too!

I have yet to install the decals, but I can attest to Dans CS. My original order was lost in the mail, and Dan mailed out a replacement set in a very timely manner with no hassle whatsoever . I just received them today, and the color match seems to be what I expected, and should do the job from a couple feet away

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
Nice!!! very excellent pics as well, sweet looking coupe
      08-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

very nice, did you get the x pipe too, or just the mufflers?

re rpi scoop instructions, here you go: http://www.raceprecision.com/forums/...c.php?f=7&t=14

bought one off of a member, getting ready to put it in this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

yeah, and be careful when you're trying to screw in the scoop. I dropped my first screw, and don't know where it landed since there's a tray or something under there. they're self tapping screws so get it where it lines up and mark it. I had a white out pen and just dabbed enough to see it, screwed a hole and then put the scoop on.

awesome car and sweet mods. i love the way black looks after waxing...so wet. all your need now is some satin black rims and you'll be good to go! lol
      08-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

i love your car im planning to do the same thing to my car I want it all black,, but my car is a z4 2.5 for next week im going to buy the avant garde m310 wheels matte black, I already paint the side deflector, the aero bumper and black out the housing light, a 3" antenna and the llumar security film<--- I recoment that film to everybody it save my ass one time , thats all that i have for now, and I don't know if im going to paint the grills or just live it black with chrome

Last edited by fercho; 08-08-2010 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

jbs, if u don't mind me asking, how much did the rpi gt exhaust and install set u back? and mangowalk stubby? mine's in the mail.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
tnsbruce
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

If you are a fan of painting silver things black (as I am) you will want to do your instrument surrounds and door handles - really dresses up the inside of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post
SNIP
I took out the carbon filter and swapped out the stock one... I wish I could hear a difference over the exhaust
SNIP
If your Bimmer is still under factory warranty you might want to reconsider removing the charcoal secondary air filter:
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=24

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

i probably going to wrap the silver interior with the euro-dyne cf fabric, and also looking for some black m seats but they are hard to find, I like how your grills look all black, are you planning to put black rims on your car???

Last edited by fercho; 08-09-2010 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsbruce View Post
If you are a fan of painting silver things black (as I am) you will want to do your instrument surrounds and door handles - really dresses up the inside of the car.
do you have any pics?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #11
tnsbruce
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

The camera flash makes these look a little funny, but hopefully they give you a good idea what the painted instrument surrounds look like.

Door handle

exhaust

If you do the instrument surrounds be very very careful when removing them from the instrument cluster - it is very easy to scratch the area in between the gauges where the warning lights are.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #12
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjam927 View Post
Nice!!! very excellent pics as well, sweet looking coupe
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
very nice, did you get the x pipe too, or just the mufflers?

re rpi scoop instructions, here you go: http://www.raceprecision.com/forums/...c.php?f=7&t=14

bought one off of a member, getting ready to put it in this weekend.
This is just the axleback.. I will try to get sound clips up soon! Thank you for the instructions, Im interested to hear your opinions of the scoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
yeah, and be careful when you're trying to screw in the scoop. I dropped my first screw, and don't know where it landed since there's a tray or something under there. they're self tapping screws so get it where it lines up and mark it. I had a white out pen and just dabbed enough to see it, screwed a hole and then put the scoop on.

awesome car and sweet mods. i love the way black looks after waxing...so wet. all your need now is some satin black rims and you'll be good to go! lol
Thanks! Haha I want some silver/brushed/polished etc wheels with some nice stepped lip .. gotta have some contrast! haha

I might run some zcps or vmrs in grey temporarily on my way to dish though

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
i love your car im planning to do the same thing to my car I want it all black,, but my car is a z4 2.5 for next week im going to buy the avant garde m310 wheels matte black, I already paint the side deflector, the aero bumper and black out the housing light, a 3" antenna and the llumar security film<--- I recoment that film to everybody it save my ass one time , thats all that i have for now, and I don't know if im going to paint the grills or just live it black with chrome
Thanks! I love the black grills, it cleans up the front so much IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
jbs, if u don't mind me asking, how much did the rpi gt exhaust and install set u back? and mangowalk stubby? mine's in the mail.
I got a deal on the exhaust haha, im not sure the PO would want me talking about the price ... Install was $110 at a shop right next to my work; I dropped it off in the morning and walked into the office, then walked back over at 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsbruce View Post
Do you have any pics? I will definitely consider! I do like the brushed accents though, especially now with a zhp knob haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
If your Bimmer is still under factory warranty you might want to reconsider removing the charcoal secondary air filter:
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=24
Thank you, but the car just hit 60k, its my daily! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
i probably going to wrap the silver interior with the euro-dyne cf fabric, and also looking for some black m seats but they are hard to find, I like how your grills look all black, are you planning to put black rims on your car???
That sounds good, I would definitely be doing that if i didnt have the different cf trim!

2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
ZM4000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Nice mods got the same on mine not the colours but the scoops and exhaust. U really need to watch out for the cops the exhaust will turn heads. Got stopped one tie allready. (in 2 weeks)
Do u have a lot of problems with the drone because i imagine that in the coupe the drone should be really heavy
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
nice mods. Black Z4 are

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Your car looks great!
Do you have an aftermarket tune in your ECU? I have seen reports of fault codes and engine not running correctly when the air filters are changed from OEM with the factory engine management software.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #16
ZM4000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I never had a problem didnt change my ECU yet but have a BMC air filter an no alarm so far
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Your car is looking really good!

I know it sounds like a monster now too. Great photos as usual
      08-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
can you tell me how the dans decals look and post a pic or two of them on the car? did you get the custom paint to match or the regular black sapphire ones? I want to do these but wonder how the match is to the black sapphire paint.
i will either order or not based on your recommendation.
dan's decals will not be a perfect paint match, but do a decent job for $20 odd. do note that each of the reflectors have raised lettering that is a pain to decal over, leading to extra 'folds' of excess stretchable decal material. i recently had my front bumper refinished due to a clear coat peeling issue, and i had all four of my reflectors sanded smooth and color-matched for an additional $36 atop of my bumper refinishing job. it might prove worthwhile to check with ur local bodyshop for a quote. imo, the painted reflectors are dead-on for color and far exceed the quality of dan's decals, and for the price i paid, definitely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
Hairballs58
Needs FI
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR

Hey Jbs, would you mind if we had a get together? I really want to hear the RPI exhaust in person. I'm normally in the westside area.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM4000 View Post
Nice mods got the same on mine not the colours but the scoops and exhaust. U really need to watch out for the cops the exhaust will turn heads. Got stopped one tie allready. (in 2 weeks)
Do u have a lot of problems with the drone because i imagine that in the coupe the drone should be really heavy
drone is not that bad, but i think it is just me getting used to it. I have found that the sound level is barely rpm dependent at all; anything less than half throttle and i can still even use the bluetooth on the freeway

a police officer told me that the car sounded nice at a red light the other day... im lucky he had another priority, no plate, exhaust and illegal tint has me looking out for cops all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
nice mods. Black Z4 are

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Your car looks great!
Do you have an aftermarket tune in your ECU? I have seen reports of fault codes and engine not running correctly when the air filters are changed from OEM with the factory engine management software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM4000 View Post
I never had a problem didnt change my ECU yet but have a BMC air filter an no alarm so far
the car seems to be running fine. throttle response is a bit better, but the ecu adapts. the car does stutter occasionally at idle though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Your car is looking really good!

I know it sounds like a monster now too. Great photos as usual
thank you! hahha i guess it takes one to know one, sounds so beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
can you tell me how the dans decals look and post a pic or two of them on the car? did you get the custom paint to match or the regular black sapphire ones? I want to do these but wonder how the match is to the black sapphire paint.
i will either order or not based on your recommendation.
I havent actually installed the decals yet Ive been busy working and starting school again... i havent even washed the car in about a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
dan's decals will not be a perfect paint match, but do a decent job for $20 odd. do note that each of the reflectors have raised lettering that is a pain to decal over, leading to extra 'folds' of excess stretchable decal material. i recently had my front bumper refinished due to a clear coat peeling issue, and i had all four of my reflectors sanded smooth and color-matched for an additional $36 atop of my bumper refinishing job. it might prove worthwhile to check with ur local bodyshop for a quote. imo, the painted reflectors are dead-on for color and far exceed the quality of dan's decals, and for the price i paid, definitely worth it.
I have some rock chips, and now eggshell marks on the car (front bumper is pretty bad... If i get it repainted I definitely will try to get the holes filled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballs58 View Post
Hey Jbs, would you mind if we had a get together? I really want to hear the RPI exhaust in person. I'm normally in the westside area.
I would love to have a meet! I know there are many z4s in the area... if youre in WLA, there is an Mfest meet on sawtelle and olympic every tues night, everyone is welcome to come and there are usually 2 or 3 z4ms there!

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
Hairballs58
Needs FI
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post
I would love to have a meet! I know there are many z4s in the area... if youre in WLA, there is an Mfest meet on sawtelle and olympic every tues night, everyone is welcome to come and there are usually 2 or 3 z4ms there!
Cool beans! I'll try to make it tuesday. Where exactly is this meet? I'm familiar with the area and can't imagine a good place to gather.
Appreciate 0