ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, M3 E92 DCT, 1M VO

RPI scoop + AFE Air intake = Less HP???

Hello Guys,

Quick question I have been reading about the AFE Air Intake + the RPI Scoop does not give you more HP. The car sounds nice with the AFE but I'm actually after more HP then Sound.

I have had the AFE intake since October 2009 (no RPI scoop) and the car did sound awesome but no difference in performance. Now I just added the RPI Scoop and somehow when I press the Sports button, the car does not feel eager to go as before. I almost feel like putting back the original Air box and leave the RPI Scoop.

Any comments? anybody with similar experience?

Thanks a lot,

P
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Z4Mster
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Well I don't know the answer to your question but if you are looking to sell your AFe intake then let me know and I will buy it from you.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchio View Post
Hello Guys,

Quick question I have been reading about the AFE Air Intake + the RPI Scoop does not give you more HP. The car sounds nice with the AFE but I'm actually after more HP then Sound.

I have had the AFE intake since October 2009 (no RPI scoop) and the car did sound awesome but no difference in performance. Now I just added the RPI Scoop and somehow when I press the Sports button, the car does not feel eager to go as before. I almost feel like putting back the original Air box and leave the RPI Scoop.

Any comments? anybody with similar experience?

Thanks a lot,

P
Software may help your issue a little. Have heard it can cause 1-2 hp loss with scoop. Give Elroy a call at Race Precision. He can help.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

would you mind posting what you find out? i am also curious about this combo, but want to know before i buy and install.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Any updates on this? Kinda looking at an intake as next mod and would like to know!
      06-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

yeah i've been checking to see if this thread has been updated...

i went ahead and bought just the RPI scoop will post when I install. I'm still doing some research on an intake.
      06-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Even seen no dynos for any of the "CAIs" on the M Coupe, and mixed results on the M3 ones.

It seems the consensus among M3 community is that the upgraded elbow+drop in filter is the best option when combined with software. That seems to show ~10-15 HP gains up top, with no real change in the midrange.

For the various CAIs I've seen dynos ranging between -5hp and +10hp, so tough call.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Here is my dyno with an AFE intake, rpi scoop, ESS software, JVT headers, and SS race cans. Run number 3 is the first run and contrary to what RPI said I didn't lose HP after each run but instead made more HP. It was only a 2whp gain but still a gain.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Sorry guys for taking forever to reply... so I think I lost a bit of power but not extremely crazy (that is just my feeling). That being said, I want to make you aware that I replaced my OEM 18" wheels with a 19" Forgestar. So I can't really blame the issue to the AFE + RPI Scoop combination, maybe the weight of the 19" wheels makes me believe that I have lost power.

Bottom line, the AFE intake sounds awesome but no power gains. The AFE makes the engine sound more aggressive. The RPI Scoop, apparently you get more HP when you are driving at 100Kph or 60Mph but I think that "YES" I need software to actually get the full benefit of this combination.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Also, another recent modification to the car is:

4.10 Limited Slip Differential by DINAN.

I love this upgrade... To be honest with you, Now I really don't care about the AFE+RPI Scoop concern that I initially had. The cars runs awesome now.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #11
ZM4000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

It is an interesting thread because i'm thinking about doing it to. but now with all this thread i doubt i will because all that money doesnt seem to really bring u some have the RPI scoops and bmc air filter with the RPI exhaust now i'm thinking about the ECU once again al lot of brands and dont know wich to choose then i was thinking about an air intake maybe gruppe M.
My question is how many hp can i expect witgh exhaust, rpi sccops, software and gruppe M or aFE intake??? HOW MANY HP??? keep on rocking the free streets
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
I'd be surprised if you would get more than 20-25hp with all that. The difference in driving characteristics would be great i'm sure, more growl and smoother delivery with the software, but actual power gains wont be earth shattering.
      07-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
ZM4000
Private First Class
Rep

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok well have no choice then to buy a supercharger
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Does anybody know if its just the AFE intake that could possibly make you lose HP? I'm looking into the GruppeM and would like to know from people who have one if they ever DYNO'd their car with it or feel any difference?
      07-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #15
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

I put the RPI scoop in my car about a month after the GruppeM and I can say that the RPI scoop adds a small but noticable gain in power and response at highway speeds. The GruppeM has more of a Ram Air design so that's likely why they work well together.

Bottom line; if you have a GruppeM, the RPI scoop will add a little more umph at high speeds. If you have an AFe, it may not do anything. If you have the stock box, get a CAI.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Exactly, I heard that the Gruppe M and the RPI scoop is a better combination then AFE+RPI scoop. I read on a different forum (but I can't remember the link) that the stock air box on the Z4M is nicely engineered and that provided good air flow to the engine and blah blah blah. So My advice to you would be to get the RPI Scoop first and leave your OEM Air box... See how you like it.

I honestly didn't know about the Gruppe M option before I bought the AFE air intake. If I would have known, then for sure Gruppe M would have been my choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

Thanks for that Darkstar, I'll have to order the scoop while I wait for my GruppeM to arrive
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #18
ZM4000
Private First Class
Rep

I got the scoops allready and u feel a little umph thats it. but not until 6000rpm maybe with the gruppe M a little more but my goal is next year a supercharger so the money i would spend on gruppe m i rather put it on the side for the supercharger
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
RPIpower
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M, G80 M3

Ill be quick and simple.

Stock intake + RPi scoop will out perform AFE intake alone or with scoops ANYDAY.

AFE = loss in power.

All the fastest bolt on Z4s have the STOck air box.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

Guys if you want the sound do it. If you want that lil red lip poking out behind you grille do it. You are talking about a best and worst case scenerio of +/- 5 hp. So 10hp swing total.

On a 330 hp car you are discussing a 3% change. Outside of perhaps an engine running smoother... only someone on a dyno will be able to tell less then 10% change.

For that differece, do what you want to your car, keep it quiet or make it growl!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #21
ZM4000
Private First Class
Rep

RPI exhaust es way enough if u want growl
IMO the money u spent on the intake rather put it on the side and keep it for a nice software OR the supercharger
wwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooosssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

I have to say that i met a guy with a AFE intake and was suprised about the sound maybe a Gruppe M is even better dont know
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #22
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

I wanted the sound with no compromises (ie no drone) so I went GruppeM. Have the scoop sitting in a box so haven't put it on yet, but yeah I don't forsee it changing things much. Car sounds faster, that's about it
Appreciate 0