ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-22-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Roadster Top Help Needed

Recently bought a 2007 Z4M Roadster. Did the inspections and so on and so on. Everything checked out. Top wasn't working 100% but "apparently" was a switch that needed to be replaced. When I picked up the car, everything was working with the top. So all seemed good........

Ok, now that I've had her for a month, started poking around and looking a little closer at the car because I'm pretty picky. And I noticed that there's some missing parts in the trunk. Where the top folds down into the trunk area, there should be a base panel there that seals the top from the actual truck according to REALOEM.com. Mine doesn't have that panel. And then I noticed there's a plastic slot with a switch at it's base (see picture.... this is located at the front of the trunk just under where the top folds into) that had a ball of paper jammed into it. The paper seems to be holding down that switch at the bottom of the plastic slot. So I took out the paper and now the top no longer works.

Can anyone shed any light on this?? How does this work? What gets inserted into this slot and holds down that switch.

Car is also missing rear inner fender liners and hardware that was never noted in the inspection. Wonder what else I will find as I go through her with the fine tooth comb. It's amazing. As hard as one tries to get it right buying a used car, there's always *crap* that never goes right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

As these cars get older it more likely that these sort of things occur.
In the scheme of things these are not big issues, if the car itself is in good order.

The plastic tray piece missing also interlocks with the switch.
The purpose is to prevent the top from lowering if the trunk is overloaded.
It so that there is enough space for the roof to prevent damage.

That switch is a common problem, if you search the topic.

I understand completely being disappointed that the car isn't as perfect as you thought it was, but these items are easily fixed.

And congratZ on the new car!

BTW if you are interested in meeting some local Z owners, Tedfest car show is running this Sunday.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1273535
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Switch seems to work great!! Thanks for letting me know how it works. Just need to source out the panel I guess and install it.

Yeah I agree about the whole used car thing. I just wish people were more honest when disclosing stuff. The seller was to have fixed it properly and it looks like that was never done. Well a piece of paper holding the switch I guess is a fix but to the lowest standard possible I'd say.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
you're missing the tray unit,someone removed it and stuck something to close the microswitch so top would still work. they're around 100 new,check auto recycling maybe.you'll also need the mounting clip(s)#54317113270 they're 10 bucks a piece.
It's kind of a ridiculous design(lol)
      06-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

There should be hinge assemblies with knobs on each side.
These hold the tray and by turning the knobs you can raise the tray to get more trunk space, and get access to the top of the battery box.
With the tray raised, there's no room for the top, so the switch keeps you from putting the top down.

Last edited by StickMon; 06-22-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Any chance of snapping a few pictures of that?? My car seems to be missing these parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I added a link to realoem above.
There's some pics in this thread, plus the trunk light mod rocks.

You may also search for a DIY on rear shock replacement, because all those parts have to come out to get at the top shock mounts.
      06-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
the tray you need/the hinge assembly
Attached Images

06-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Awesome. You guys are awesome.

AND, I believe I just sourced out all this stuff here from the site in the For Sale section. Fantastic...... my Zeee is now starting on its way back to the way she should be.

Thanks everyone....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #10
mckenna4978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' BMW z4mr-A08

Check out ebay for fender liners. I see a lot available there for the m series and other knick knacks that might come up missing as you comb through. Congrats on the ride!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So, was able to source out the tray and the two pieces for the sides off a wrecked Z4 for a good price. But no hardware. So I searched through my part stash and found 4 of the 6 fasteners needed. Just need the two that go at the front now. Likely have to go to BMW for those. But got the whole thing installed and working. Very happy about that.

Was also able to find two rear fender liners off the same wrecked Z4 car. So it was a pretty good day.

Next thing is whether or not I keep the muffler cans. The PO had them gutted and the internals straightened. BUT....... I don't think he had them re-packed. As I'm almost hitting 50 years old, I'm thinking they may be a bit loud for an old guy like me. They sound awesome when you get on her, but for trundling around town, not sure if it's my cup of tea.
Appreciate 0