ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #89
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
... I would probably advise against ALWAYS listening to your balls. Unless you want to be single and have the clap.
did somebody say clap?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #90
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
got my estimate from geico today

Total cost on parts $13000.63
Total labor to repair 105hrs@$50.00 =$4940
tax =971.66

Grand total of Geico's estimate......drum roll............

$19262.29
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #91
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

^Holy batman.

Does that mean its a write off? Kind of does to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #92
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
tax =971.66

$19262.29
Who is going to do the mechanical work on a BMW M car for $50/hour? This is a lot more complicated than pounding out a few dents.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #93
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBull View Post
^Holy batman.

Does that mean its a write off? Kind of does to me.
I think it would if they go Wholesale. Hell $19600 of $26000 is still more than 70% and I know they sure as hell wont go private retail. All I know is there are 160 different parts that need replaced
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #94
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Wow....just got word that they are going to fix it. They said it retails for $32,000. Ugh Im sick to my stomach right now...........
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #95
BU Z4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Big & Small

Good luck finding someone to work for $50/hr!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #96
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Can't believe they came up with those figures to justify a repair... Again the labor cost is just way off.

Hopefully you get to pick the shop.

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #97
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Can't believe they came up with those figures to justify a repair... Again the labor cost is just way off.

Hopefully you get to pick the shop.
Insurance carriers will certify a shop as "preferred" and for steering business to these shops the shops will offer a favorable rate. I will agree that $50 an hour is very inexpensive for a BMW, make sure that you also specify that you want OEM parts for your vehicle.
      08-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #98
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetMan View Post
Insurance carriers will certify a shop as "preferred" and for steering business to these shops the shops will offer a favorable rate. I will agree that $50 an hour is very inexpensive for a BMW, make sure that you also specify that you want OEM parts for your vehicle.
It will be all OEM except for radiator, and rear tail lamps. They are pretty confident of the repair. I told them I will wear them out till it's done right.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #99
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
may I ask who your insurance company is?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #100
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
may I ask who your insurance company is?
Geico......Should have stayed with state farm.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #101
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
When I went through my shit luck, I was told by arguably one of the best BMW shops in North America (according to forums/dealers) that Progressive (my ins) blows and Geico is hands down one of the best. However adjusters are notorious for under writing the claims and it is your shops job to ask for supplements to the claim. My best advice is try to see if any one can determine if the car has any significant damages to the structure of the car. Sucks man but dont give up!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #102
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Having them rerun the numbers so I can find out how they came up with a value of $32000. You know they would never give me that much if they totaled it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #103
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
tax =971.66

$19262.29
They can't tell squat about suspension components until the obviously broken ones are replaced. If they're saying otherwise they're lying. Sure, they may look just fine but pieces that look fine can be toast. That estimate (and I speak from experience) could easily be under by 10K or more.

A bunch components looked "fine" on mine. When they actually got in there they found way more. And then later tried to align it they found even more (parts that seemed fine and were off) as they couldn't bring the car to spec. Then it was more components that had to be replaced, and then more.

My shop was very upfront about this, and said the first estimate was an "initial estimate" and told me and the adjuster straight out the facts about suspension work: the cost would only go up, and maybe a lot, from there. If the shop and adjuster are not saying that, I'd be real careful about the shop doing the work and about the adjuster. It's highly suspect if that isn't being discussed/disclosed.

On yours, have they measured the unibody and and "frame" itself? Mine was measured using laser equipment, by my dealer (I have great dealer which is rare) and it was "off" by all of 1mm (up to 3mm is allowed per spec). If this doesn't measure well, what's their plan to "fix" it? (And what does that cost?)

PM me if you need more info.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #104
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

+1 ^

The estimate seems way off. I know I am beating a dead horse, but consider it reinforcement. We all have your best interest at heart here.

Everything must be to factory spec or better when they are done. You want to be able to push your roadster to the limit without concern. I also agree with you that they have valued the roadster high, but I also think they would pay that out to you. Gieco is known for top dollar payout. You may have to show them examples of what they are really selling for because they are going by book.

Lastly, you must consider re-sale. This will show up on your vehicle history and potentially murder your re-sale.

I wish you the best of luck on this one.
      08-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #105
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

My front end damage was 16500. There was no frame/mechanical damage, the airbags did not go off. It was "cosmetic" and a radiator. Good luck. Mine wAs related at a BMW certified shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #106
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
^ go with what they are saying so you don't repent later, Also I would have other shop look that for you. does no seams right.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #107
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
I know I am beating a dead horse, but consider it reinforcement. We all have your best interest at heart here.

Everything must be to factory spec or better when they are done. You want to be able to push your roadster to the limit without concern.
Exactly. I hope I didn't come across as being negative, but having gone through this hell myself at one point, I really wish you the best.

I can't underscore the "fixed to spec or better" statement. That's what you have to go for (and that's what I got--and the car is perfect). It's a safety and a value concern.

I don't know if the laws of your state allow you to select your own shop, but if you can, shop around. Another buddy of mine on the board had issues with the insurance selected shop and didn't get things rolling in the right direction until he switched shops.

Hang in there!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #108
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Mousitch...it is a FEDERAL LAW that says the car owner has the right to choose the shop of their choice, authorized/reccommended by the Insuracne Agency or otherwise. Geico can suggest a shop but you by law do not have to have repairs done there.
My advice, pick the body shop that specializes in high end cars (Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc) and have them write the quote and I can assure you it will be totalled. Doing a car 'right' is a lot more work than more insurance companies realize.
Good to know! And yep, that's what I did, found a shop that worked on high end cars (mine way less damage, a lot more book value, and they did the job right).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 03:04 AM   #109
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Just my 2 cents, but when I had $12k in damage done (hit and run) to my 3.0i, I opted for my insurance company to cover it at a shop they determined and guaranteed. It took 2 months to get my car back, but it was absolutely pristine and it looked and drove better than it did before the accident. Sometimes insurance companies guarantee the work (if they do, consider it!). I've had close friends that had their cars towed to shops "recommended on the forums" and had to battle it out after the repairs weren't completed to their satisfaction. If the insurance company guarantees it, it's much easier to argue your way into a quality job. The repair shop doesn't want to lose their go-to status with your insurance company, and the insurance company doesn't like unhappy customers or poor reviews. If you get the work done at a shop of your choosing, you're somewhat SOL if things go south...

Make sure you KNOW the shop if you're going to pull that card. It eased my mind when I visited the collision center and saw a brand new Z06 Vette and a Viper sandwiching my car while it was being taken apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #110
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Just my 2 cents, but when I had $12k in damage done (hit and run) to my 3.0i, I opted for my insurance company to cover it at a shop they determined and guaranteed. It took 2 months to get my car back, but it was absolutely pristine and it looked and drove better than it did before the accident. Sometimes insurance companies guarantee the work (if they do, consider it!). I've had close friends that had their cars towed to shops "recommended on the forums" and had to battle it out after the repairs weren't completed to their satisfaction. If the insurance company guarantees it, it's much easier to argue your way into a quality job. The repair shop doesn't want to lose their go-to status with your insurance company, and the insurance company doesn't like unhappy customers or poor reviews. If you get the work done at a shop of your choosing, you're somewhat SOL if things go south...

Make sure you KNOW the shop if you're going to pull that card. It eased my mind when I visited the collision center and saw a brand new Z06 Vette and a Viper sandwiching my car while it was being taken apart.
Pokey,
I believe you just got incredibly lucky in your case. Insurance companies usually send you to "good" to "ok" shops, never to top of the line shops. Why? well they want to spend the minimum amount of money while not sacrificing the quality. As for guaranteeing the work, when I was shopping around for a shop to get my work done at, everybody guaranteed their work lifetime (body work, not mechanical)
And as far as forum recommended shops, I wouldn't advise against them. Do your research before going to them and know most are not cheap.
Appreciate 0