ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

First HPDE, installed RS-29 pads. Need help

I installed RS-29 pads for my first HPDE. The pads held up nicely with no fade.

I had shaking/vibration of the steering wheel under medium/heavy braking. I don't think that I beat on the brakes too much (if anything, I was underdriving). Could this be because the brakes didn't got hot enough?

Also, there are now some loud rattling sounds coming from the brakes. Cyclical in nature, gets faster as speeds increase. Mostly noticeable at low speeds, like in the pit lane. The sound goes away if I lightly touch the brakes but return after I lift my foot off. They didn't rattle like this when I installed them.

I plan to check some things this week but am wondering if anyone has some tips beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The vibrations are typical of high end track pads. They tend to leave behind uneven deposits if they are not bedded in properly. Try going through a couple of deep bedding in cycles as recommended by the pad manufacturer and it should go away.

The rattle is also typical of high end track pads, some of them come without the 3 prongs on the back of the inbound pads, and will float around inside the calipers once they've worn down slightly. You can either apply copious of the anti-squeal goop on the "ears" of the pad to force it to stay in place, or just "live with it."
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The vibrations are typical of high end track pads. They tend to leave behind uneven deposits if they are not bedded in properly. Try going through a couple of deep bedding in cycles as recommended by the pad manufacturer and it should go away.

The rattle is also typical of high end track pads, some of them come without the 3 prongs on the back of the inbound pads, and will float around inside the calipers once they've worn down slightly. You can either apply copious of the anti-squeal goop on the "ears" of the pad to force it to stay in place, or just "live with it."
Thanks. On the RS29 the rears did not have prongs but the fronts did. I'll check to see confirm the sound is coming from the front or the rear.
Appreciate 0