ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
jblack
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0L

Flashing Red Light and Convertible Top Won't Come Down

I've got a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i.

Anyway, my wife said she came in today and tried to put the top up. She said it stopped about 2 inches from closing. Anyway, she left it in the garage and came in the house. Said she came back out a couple of hours later and the top was all the way up and closed. However, now the top won't go down and the red light next to the button to put it down is flashing.

I'm not sure where to start with this. I did some searching, but I'm not sure exactly where to start on troubleshooting this. I'm guessing the alignment of the top is off or something. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Did you say she went inside and left the top down and when she came back out the top was up? If so it sounds like more than just a problem with your car!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Traveler218
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i Montego Blue Matalic

Sounds like a motor problem to me. If she put it part way up and then went inside, gravity may have closed it remainder of the way. If so then the fluid pressure leaked past the pump valve. Normally the pump should hold the pressure and maintain the top in whatever position you stop. It could be that the pump bypass release in the trunk got pulled. This is to allow you to manually raise and lower the top if the motor dies.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
jblack
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0L

So I went out and pulled the release. After I got in the car the top came down fine. On the way back up, it stopped about a foot from closed. I had to pull the release to get the softtop to meet the roof and then use the Allen wrench to lock the top to the windshield.

I'm guessing this is a pump problem, but want to confirm before I spend ~$350 and 4-6 hours fixing it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0