ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2020, 03:43 AM   #1
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Advan RS-DF test fit and tyre options

Hi all,

I will update the thread with proper images once I get tyres installed but I thought I would post some up now as a teaser.

For reference, the wheels are 18 x 8.5 ET 35 on the front and 18 x 9.5 ET 22 on the back, in 'machining and racing hyper black'. There are only two colours available for these wheels in BMW specs. The other colour is black, which I love the look of but is a bit bold for my personal tastes for a street car.

On my own scales, the fronts weigh 7.9kg (17.4Lb) and the rears 8.3kg (18.3Lb).

These pictures were taken when I was test-fitting some tyres - 245 40 on the front and 265 35 on the rear. The rears are fine but the fronts rubbed on the front and rear of the wheel arch liner (outside edge of the tyre). I can't imagine alignment settings would be able to fix rubbing on both sides but in the wheel thread and the great spreadsheet someone made up, lots of people run much more aggressive tyres and offsets than this test.

Happy to hear any suggestions for how to get more aggressive wheel/tyre setups to fit without rubbing but for safety sake I'm going to go with a 235 40 on the front.

My next tyre issue is what to buy. Michelin in Australia only offer one size in 18 inch in their Pilot Sport 4S, which was probably my first pick. Pilot Super Sports aren't available in a 235 40 R18, so they're out too.

Continental Sport Contact 6 aren't available in 18 inch and Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport are available in 18 inch but only in stock sizes, which seems like a bit of backward step and I'm not that big on the 'stretched' look.

My options have basically come down to Advan V105 and Bridgestone Potenza S007a. Does anyone have any experience with either? At this stage I'm leaning towards the Advans based on the tyre shop recommendation.

Anyway, time for pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Wow great choice, they look really nice with your TiAg
You should be pretty safe with 235 up front....until you lower it!

My 19x8.5 ET 35, 235 35 rubbed my liner a little but now it's rubbed away it doesn't rub anymore
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #3
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks, Digs - I reckon they work pretty well on the car.

I wish I could even fit a 235 45 on the front (I like a bit of tyre sidewall) but that could be risky rub-wise.

The spot in the front of the arch liner where mine rubbed with the 245s is right on a hard ridge in the plastic, possibly the back of the bumper duct? So, I'm not sure how easily it would wear down?

You can hopefully see the 'clean' area in this picture, which is where the tyre was rubbing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Update with proper pictures.

I ended up getting Bridgestone Potenza S007a, in 235 40 (front) and 265 40 (rear). I haven't really had much of a chance to drive the car but immediate impressions are that the ride has improved, particularly over sharp bumps, traction is stronger and the steering feels a bit lighter. Each tyre and wheel is 4.9kg than the standard wheels with the S001 tyres I had before, which is a pretty substantial weight saving.

It took a little while for my Advan centre caps to turn up, so I delayed taking pictures. In these pictures the front also has a 10mm spacer (thanks to Digs) and there have been no clearance issues so far. I love the look but I'll wait to see if handling is compromised.

Now, to the pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Digs133.00