ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Hood Rattling?

I've recent discovered that my hood will rattle above certain RPM.

Initially, I couldn't find where did the rattle sound came from. I check all the usual suspects. Fire wall brace, engine mount etc but to no avail.

Last week when I was washing the car, I felt the hood area on my driver side has 1/4" play. It is securely latched on but I can push down that part of the hood and viola; the rattle sound is exactly that I've been hearing for months. It's about 1 feet below the vin plate on the windshield in the direction towards the headlight.

I tried the right side of the hood, but it has no play and no sound.

Is there any kind of adjustment that I can play with? It seems to me that part of the hood is not being push back up properly or something is loose and needs to be tighten up.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Check the bump stops inside the engine bay. One of yours could have failed:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=59
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I have the same issue so what I did was putting some rubber hose on the latches. They definitely pulled the hood down tighter but the problem didnt go away (stil hear somekind of rattling)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Funny, I had this same exact problem and also figured it out while washing the car.

I can't remember exactly what the dealer replaced/adjusted, but it was either the driver's side lock (leaning towards this) or the bump stop. Problem fixed.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

In addition to backing out the threaded bump stops, you can also remove the black plastic cover around the base of the metal latches on the hood, and then since the latches are threaded into the hood you can turn them 180° one way or the other to adjust their position, and then re-attach the black plastic locking piece.

This allows you to have the hood aligned flush with the quarter panels and bumper, but also tight and not smacking around.

It will take some fiddling with to get it just right.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'll check both of them. Thanks a bunch guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
BAK613
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster (E85)

I've had a different hood rattle problem. When parked on an uneven surface I noticed that the front corner of the hood (driver's side) was up slightly 1/4". Turned out that side was not latched, no amount of pushing would get it to latch.
Here's my work around, maybe you have a better approach? Basically I cycle the problem latch: after unlatching, take a screwdriver and manually push the hook to the latched position and then pull the hood release. After that I can just drop the hood from abou 12" it it will latch on both sides.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Bruce
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK613 View Post
I've had a different hood rattle problem. When parked on an uneven surface I noticed that the front corner of the hood (driver's side) was up slightly 1/4". Turned out that side was not latched, no amount of pushing would get it to latch.
Here's my work around, maybe you have a better approach? Basically I cycle the problem latch: after unlatching, take a screwdriver and manually push the hook to the latched position and then pull the hood release. After that I can just drop the hood from abou 12" it it will latch on both sides.

Thanks,
Bruce
I assume you have tried lubrication? It may just be a defective latch.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I have Version #2 on the link that you posted. I open the hood last night.. the passenger side ejector didn't pop up like the driver side.

So I use a screw driver and try to turn 90 degrees to let it pop up. However, once I put a little force on it... the pin/ejector went all the way in and fell straight through onto the belly tray.

So was it broken? or I can pick it back up and re-use it?

I have to decide whether I need to jack the car up and look for that pin if it's re-usable.

TIA,
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK613 View Post
You may want to try to adjust the vertical position of the latch in the hood using the method I explained earlier. Maybe the latch is not far enough down for the latch to engage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN34 View Post
I have Version #2 on the link that you posted. I open the hood last night.. the passenger side ejector didn't pop up like the driver side.

So I use a screw driver and try to turn 90 degrees to let it pop up. However, once I put a little force on it... the pin/ejector went all the way in and fell straight through onto the belly tray.

I have to decide whether I need to jack the car up and look for that pin if it's re-usable.
I had these break once already, bought new ones, and they also broke. So, I decided I'm not buying any more of these from BMW since there's obviously something wrong with them. I took all of the spring-loaded guts out of the bump stop and backed them out about 3 or 4 turns so they stand higher, but they don't have the spring loaded ejector.

It seems to work pretty well for me so far. There's still the opportunity and the need for adjustment of the rubber bump stop and the metal latch to get things just right (flush when latched and not rattling).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN34 View Post

TIA,
This is hilarious. After posting my answer to you and as I was drying my car today, I noticed the driver side ejector wasn't popping up on mine. I did EXACTLY what you did and mine fell into an inaccessible area underneath. I took the plastic shroud off the center area to see if I could get to the piece which was not effective. Then when I was replacing the shroud, I lost one of the expandable screw/rivets which holds it in place! Now I am ordering two new parts for my car....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The "Buffer Stop with Ejectors" are a well known problem and they come in two different spring strengths. Our cars come with the very high-strength spring that a lot of folks have replaced with the lower-strength spring units so they don't put so much pressure on the bottom of the ejector and break through. Also, make sure you don't slam your hood as that contributes to the ejector pushing through the buffer stop.
      04-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #13
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

P/N: 512248137994 Low-Strength
or
P/N: 512438187291 High-Strength

I ordered 4 low strength one. Two for the hood and will install two for the trunk to get more lift when opened.

They should arrive tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I didn't have any rattling, but my left side hood buffer stop with ejector was broken, thanks for the part numbers.

Here's a picture of the broken and new ones. The top one is the broken one, the cap on the bottom of it fell off so it doesn't have a spring anymore. The bottom cap of the new one is metal, don't know if the old one was also metal since it's missing.

11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Having trouble finding the lower strength ones online, can someone send me the link?

I can only find the higher strength. And what are the advantages/drawbacks between the two?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Check out part number 7. Both of mine are missing. This also stops the rattle of the hood.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...16856/ES91696/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
bvnguyenp
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Anyone have similar problems with the rear hatch rattling around?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvnguyenp
Anyone have similar problems with the rear hatch rattling around?
Nah mate, but you can check your stops. They should be on the edge of your trunk. Underneath them of course.
      12-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Check out part number 7. Both of mine are missing. This also stops the rattle of the hood.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...16856/ES91696/
You made my day! I found one of those on the aluminum undertray when I was flushing coolant and had no idea where it came from. Can someone take a picture of these installed so I can make sure they get back to the right place?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
You made my day! I found one of those on the aluminum undertray when I was flushing coolant and had no idea where it came from. Can someone take a picture of these installed so I can make sure they get back to the right place?
Should have done a google image search before asking...picture here if anyone else needs it:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...09&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
You're very welcome. I ordered replacements from ECS and the play/rattle in my hood is now gone as well!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Should have done a google image search before asking...picture here if anyone else needs it:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...09&postcount=7
Just above this post is my post showing that they should line up with a sticker mounted on the inside edge of the fender: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...61&postcount=6

Appreciate 0