ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
jpwbrown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 coupe

indie shop in San Diego?

I need the name of a good honest indie shop in the San Diego area. I'm out of warranty. My husband wants me to buy a new car instead of repairing my old '07 coupe with 25,000 miles. BMW repair is expensive but a new car?? hey, we're in a recession, this is not the time to buy a new car--besides I've "bonded" with this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Bayonet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwbrown View Post
I need the name of a good honest indie shop in the San Diego area. I'm out of warranty. My husband wants me to buy a new car instead of repairing my old '07 coupe with 25,000 miles. BMW repair is expensive but a new car?? hey, we're in a recession, this is not the time to buy a new car--besides I've "bonded" with this car.
what is wrong with the vehicle?

for maint. issues and things of that sort i say euro autospot
for overall body work and repairs I heard good things about 2M autowerks (recently moved in to the late Group 5 motorsports building)

both are in miramar
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Autowerkes in Santee is great for body/paint.
8809 Mission Gorge Road
Santee, CA 92071

Brian Chartier of BMW of Vista is an honest SA, but being a dealer, you pay dealer price. So far I haven't had any problems since my warranty ran out and I tend to do the routine stuff myself.

Are you the Monaco Blue that hits Peets off Camino del Sur for coffee?
      07-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
jpwbrown
Private
United_States
Rep

just routine maintence stuff, oil changes, inspections plus I'm having trouble with my driver's side window (it's making popping noises when it goes up--probably regulator) and need to replace battery soon. I've dealt with BMW in Kearny Mesa but that SA Brad...d was so condescending to me on several occasions I went to Chapman's in El Cajon (SA Matt is great but I would like to get away from dealer prices). Never been out of warranty before--kind of scary. If there's a trust worthy indie shop I could use would be nice, if not I will continue taking my silver coupe to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

You, my friend, certainly do have an amazing shop in SD. In fact, you have one of what are arguably considered the two best/most respected independent BMW shops in the country.

Yours is La Jolla Independent (http://www.bimmerdoc.com), and as the name suggests, its in La Jolla. Just visiting that shop is fun, as the parking lot and garage are filled with more vintage bimmers than your average weekend meet.

The other is The Werk Shop in Lake Bluff, IL - which, living in Chicago, is where I go for independent work. Both service modern BMWs, but both also do classic service and restoration. Last time I was at The Werk Shop there were two M1s in the garage, light restoration was commencing on a 507, and they were fully restoring (from the ground up) a one-off superlaggera mille miglia 328 roadster. Not a bad way to spend your time while your manual transmission oil is being changed.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
jpwbrown
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah found the La Jolla indie shop web site a while back and tried to contacted them about my window repair and never heard back from. Guess they didn't want my business.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Contact the local BMW CCA chapter. They usually have more than a handful of shops that the local BMW guys use regularly.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Contact the local BMW CCA chapter. They usually have more than a handful of shops that the local BMW guys use regularly.
Some of the local shops that support SD BMW CCA are (in alphabetical order):

All German Auto - Starting point for our upcoming Photo Rally, advertises regularly in our newsletter, Fahren Affairs.
Black Forest Automotive - Advertises regularly in Fahren Affairs.
Charlies Foreign Car. They're on our calendar regularly for a Tech Session where they put everyone's car up on a hoist and look for potential problems. Advertises regularly in Fahren Affairs, 10% discount for BMW CCA members.
Dieter's - Advertises regularly in Fahren Affairs.
Hans Foreign Car Service - Advertises regularly in Fahren Affairs, 10% discount on labor for BMW CCA members
La Jolla Independent - Long time supporter of the club, one of the most highly respected BMW experts, advertises regularly in Fahren Affairs, 10% discount for BMW CCA members.
Oceanside Motorsports - Neil is a great guy and just held an open house to celebrate the second anniversary of his shop. Complimentary detail upgrade with any service for BMW CCA members.

BMW of Escondido and BMW South County are also strong supporters of our club, with BMW South County sponsoring our autocrosses and other events, and BMW of Escondido sponsoring our annual High Performance Driving School and other events. They both offer a 15% discount on parts and service for BMW CCA members.

As you can see, being a BMW CCA member can provide great discounts in addition to all of the other great benefits. If you're not a BMW CCA member yet, click here to join: http://www.bmwcca.org/join/444696. We have a great club with great people and lots of great activities!

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

X2 or 3 or whatever for La Jolla Independent. They've always treated me right.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
RedDotRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4mc

Marco pollo is great and honest

Apex motorsports for mod advice. Ben (owner) has lots of expeierience.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
La Jolla independent is terrific. I have also had good experiences with http://www.euroautospot.com/.
      08-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Gripster, are you in La Jolla? I think I saw you turning left from Hidden Valley Rd onto Torrey Pines last week.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Gripster, are you in La Jolla? I think I saw you turning left from Hidden Valley Rd onto Torrey Pines last week.
I do live in UTC / La Jolla, but if it was last week then it wasn't me. I haven't had a chance to drive the Z for a couple weeks. I'll take it for a spin this Sunday.
      08-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster View Post
I do live in UTC / La Jolla, but if it was last week then it wasn't me. I haven't had a chance to drive the Z for a couple weeks. I'll take it for a spin this Sunday.
SD BMW CCA is having a Photo Rally this Sunday. Full details on our website: http://www.sdbmwcca.com/articles/hor...und_rally.html. Not our usual back country drive, but it should be fun! Come and join us! (P.S. You must pre-register!)

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
RedDotRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4mc

Went to Marco polo today for some service. Great, honest work. No up selling.
Appreciate 0