ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Tinsby
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ordered a Z4 Coupe

Fitting 'regular' tires to run flat rims?

I ordered a Z4 coupe and of course it has run flat tires on it. I heard somewhere that you can't put a non-run flat tire on the rims once the tire is shot.

Of course then, you'd have no spare....

All the more reason I am thinking of not continuing the buy on the coupe and keeping my Infiniti G Coupe, there are too many things that I like about that car that the BMW doesn't have. Sure it won't handle like a BMW but it weighs almost 4400 lbs, whadya expect

Thanks to all who reply,

Tinsby
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

You can't put run-flats on regular rims, but you can put regular tires on run-flat rims. I've got Goodyear F1s on my factory rims and I've had no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Stick with the G35 then.
Appreciate 1
2one3E902419.00
      06-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
You can't put run-flats on regular rims, but you can put regular tires on run-flat rims. I've got Goodyear F1s on my factory rims and I've had no problems.
me too, i had no idea you needed special rims for run flats. thanks for the knowledge share.

I love my GSD3/F1's

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

If you need the comfort of a spare tire, just get an M mobility kit or an aftermarket compressor/sealant combo

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
If you need the comfort of a spare tire, just get an M mobility kit or an aftermarket compressor/sealant combo
+1,I picked up the continental comfort kit from tire rack for about 80 bucks, plus it's great for if you autoX or track and want to change tire pressures, you've always got a pump with you
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I have Michelin PS2's on my OEM Sport rims with a 2007 Coupe and they work great - far better then the runflats ever even came close to. I put together my own "mobility kit" with a SLIME portable compressor and patch repair kit for less than $50 through Amazon.com.

I can't imagine putting the runflats back on my car unless I was about to sell it.
      07-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsby View Post
I ordered a Z4 coupe and of course it has run flat tires on it. I heard somewhere that you can't put a non-run flat tire on the rims once the tire is shot.

Of course then, you'd have no spare....

All the more reason I am thinking of not continuing the buy on the coupe and keeping my Infiniti G Coupe, there are too many things that I like about that car that the BMW doesn't have. Sure it won't handle like a BMW but it weighs almost 4400 lbs, whadya expect

Thanks to all who reply,

Tinsby

WHAT, I think you were misinformed, we change out runflats with other style tires all the time, there is no difference in the wheels. If you are changing out one tire you should keep the set the same however.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I have been thinking of putting run-flat tires on the OEM 17 inch rims of a 2007 X3. It had never crossed my mind that this could be an issue, thought about googling it and came across epbrowns' post from back then.

Does anybody know anything on this issue? Any manufacturers' note stating not to mix non run flat rims with run flat tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
I have been thinking of putting run-flat tires on the OEM 17 inch rims of a 2007 X3. It had never crossed my mind that this could be an issue, thought about googling it and came across epbrowns' post from back then.

Does anybody know anything on this issue? Any manufacturers' note stating not to mix non run flat rims with run flat tires?
Wow, bumping a 5 year old thread. Nice.

There are no functional differences between the rims that's got run-flats installed, and there are no functional differences between run-flat tires when it comes to wheels. The "myth" about how you can't install non-run-flat tires on "run-flat" rims and vice versa is just that. A myth.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 07:02 PM   #11
Jayray
Jayray
Rep
Drives: 07 650i convertible

Run flats are so noisy!
Appreciate 0