ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

I realize I may be posting this In a very biased thread but I'm willing to accept that?

Here is my dilemma...

I have a 2006 Z4MC and it's been my baby and daily for almost 5 years. Till this day I still look back at it as I walk away and think it is still one of the most beautiful cars in the road today. With that said I now have new real babies and I'm in need of a four door. So i feel the time has come that I may be selling the car or not... I have some decisions to make and want to know what you guys think?

My options are to keep the car and buy something for less than 20k or sale the car and buy something for around 65k

Here's what I'm thinking price wise...

Less than $20k (keep mcoupe)
Toyota Tacoma double cab, (I have motorcycles and always find a reason I could use truck)
E39 M5 (maintenance???)
Mercedes E55 AMG (maintenance???)

Less than 35k (possibly keep mcoupe if I can find something less than 30k)
E90 M3
Mercedes C63
E60 M5(maintenance???)
Audi RS4

Less than 65k (Sale mcoupe ?)
Porsche Panamera GTS
M6 Gran Coupe
Mercedes E63 AMG
Cadillac CTSV Wagon
F10 M5

I think it's also important to note I'm building a new house, and selling the Mcoupe would free up a little extra cash for extra house stuff. So do I throw a big chunk towards a 65k car but get something on another level, look for something less than 35k sale the Mcoupe and use just some money on that end and also have some money to throw to the new house or possibly keep mcoupe if I can find a good deal on something less than 30k? Finally, less than 20k keep the Mcoupe or sale it pay cash, have no debt, but no mcoupe ? 😓

Your thoughts?

THANKS ?
      09-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Buy the Tacoma! Regardless of what your fun car eventually turns out to be, the Tacoma will be your go to for yard errands, people hauling, you name it for the next 15 years, and if you do the routine maintenance it will do it without a hiccup. Yes it's boring and it's performance is pedestrian at best, but it's role is to just be plain, reliable utility transportation. We have an '02 Taco that we bought new. It will probably last another 15 years.

And as they proved on Top Gear, you just can't kill a Toyota compact pickup.....

09-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Lol i guess the Tacoma is our Hilux (in the vids) , and yeah its a can't kill car, thats fer sure, But with kids id like something a little larger, how about a Tundra or a F150 (both dual cab) , or a JKU (they are fun cars too) , the brain would tell me to sell the Mcoupe, and put as much cash as possible into your house (loan repayment), my heart would say keep the Mcoupe and still put as much cash as possible into your house. Cars are a shit investment, period. (of course there are some that are not, but ours isn't it yet, it might be in the future, but not yet) that why i say, id try to keep the Mcoupe and buy something along side it if you have the room.. (for as little cash as possible, Hilux, 4runner, JKU etc)

Last edited by Vanne; 09-09-2016 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Tacoma, I have a 2006, double cab, 140K miles. Great for hauling stuff, not worrying about, kids, dogs, whatever, throw it in the darn thing and go. You really do need a truck if you're building a house, so, Tacoma or Tundra, you're going to need a hauler. I have a 2+ acre property and there's no way I could be without it for Home Depot, wood, and a zillion other things. Heck, I use it as my wheelbarrow! No puny little one wheeler wheelbarrows for me! Easy to work on. DC gave plenty of good reasons too. Reliable and I daily drive it in the winter as people here have no idea how to drive in rain (and if someone hits it who cares)?

To Vanne's point, the brain would tell you to sell it. But the secret I've learned with cars is that they are not a analytic or financial exercise in decision making if you are an enthusiast or have a passion for a particular car. I've made the mistake of selling a car twice in my life because it was the "logical and rational financial choice" and regretted (and continue to regret) those decisions. Marriage, hobbies, passions are not about spreadsheets and ROI, neither are cars.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      09-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Honest opinion, you'll regret later on getting rid of the coupe. I had a Ford Exploder for a few years as my dd, but after numerous issues bought a 2500hd Silverado with an 8' bed. Reliable, easy to work on, forgiving in the wallet department, and has some balls. Bought mine for 15k and had money left over to buy a plow and still had a little play money after (21k was my budget)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

For all the valid reasons posted above, methinks its unlikely that you will find any one of us here who would advise you to sell your M.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #7
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So far the consensus is to Keep coupe and get a truck... Ironically that was my first choice and where my head was at about two months ago but then my wife was saying I should by something nice, specifically Porsche Panamera. I do pretty well income wise and can afford it but because I'm in real estate I never take this business for granted and feel it could crash again, I have already budgeted for the new house and the car thing is just extra. I took the plunge last month and sold our x3 35i and bought the wife a 2014 gx 460. Did all the research and that was the car to buy for a soccer mom... So if I went the route of a high end car I would be owning two cars for around 100k and that just seems ridiculous. I don't take the market for granted and always have a backup plan because I don't want to be that guy left holding the bag when the shit hits the fan...

With the truck idea back in play and my inability to leave anything stock a lifted overland style truck does sound fun...

Thanks for the advice guys,

PS I have been craving the sound of a V8 or that V10 in the E60 M5 so I haven't ruled that out completely.
      09-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Lol i guess the Tacoma is our Hilux (in the vids) , and yeah its a can't kill car, thats fer sure, But with kids id like something a little larger, how about a Tundra or a F150 (both dual cab) , or a JKU (they are fun cars too) , the brain would tell me to sell the Mcoupe, and put as much cash as possible into your house (loan repayment), my heart would say keep the Mcoupe and still put as much cash as possible into your house. Cars are a shit investment, period. (of course there are some that are not, but ours isn't it yet, it might be in the future, but not yet) that why i say, id try to keep the Mcoupe and buy something along side it if you have the room.. (for as little cash as possible, Hilux, 4runner, JKU etc)
Yep! I guess Toyota thought they needed a more "American" name for it here in the US. They are just unbelievably reliable and utilitarian. That's why they continue to be a favorite of ISIS. Every video clip you see on the news they've got some kind of weapon mounted in the bed of a Hilux.
      09-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

If you get anything nice, your kid(s) will probably trash the backseat anyway. I'd keep the Z and get a sub-$30k family car. That's actually exactly what we did when we had our twins a couple years ago. Still get the DD the Z most days, as our nanny can shuttle the kids
      09-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get the Tacoma. If you sell the M Coupe it is more than likely you will instantly have sellers remorse and then "have" to find another one.

Also it's entirely possible that you are ready to move on from the M Coupe, but it was/is the last analog BMW with a BMW M GmbH designed and built inline-6 engine that is matched to a steering rack that gives actual feedback through your hands.

The suspension communicates what it is doing through the seat. A driver can "feel" the car rotate around him/her in turns and knows where the car is in relation to the road.

This type of "feel" from a car basically doesn't exist anymore.

The manual transmission only form of the car was from time when BMW M didn't offer a and automatic or M-DCT, and one had to "commit" to it and it was and still is not for fakes.

The M Coupe is an anomaly within the automotive world. These types of cars don't sell very well but typically get into the hands of the intended segment via second hand ownership.

It was a car built for minuscule niche segment within a minuscule niche.

The psychographics of the buyer for two-door, manual hatchback performance car is very unique with in the automotive world, hence sales in very small numbers. You people are just wired differently and see things in different way.

These types of cars are not built by BMW or anyone else for that matter and will never come back.

They are already getting difficult to find in certain years and colors with condition being of the utmost importance. I expect that M Coupe market to tighten as people know what they have and are holding on to them with both hands.

Or are looking for that perfect M Coupe and are willing to wait up to a year or more to find it. That tells you something by itself.

You can buy another car but you should know that you cannot replace it.

What I am saying is with any of the other cars you mentioned the feel, sound and emotional aspects will not be in any of the others.

But as usual I go on one of my long ramblings so don't listen to me.
Appreciate 1
bdn3d92.00
      09-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Get the Tacoma. If you sell the M Coupe it is more than likely you will instantly have sellers remorse and then "have" to find another one.

Also it's entirely possible that you are ready to move on from the M Coupe, but it was/is the last analog BMW with a BMW M GmbH designed and built inline-6 engine that is matched to a steering rack that gives actual feedback through your hands.

The suspension communicates what it is doing through the seat. A driver can "feel" the car rotate around him/her in turns and knows where the car is in relation to the road.

The manual transmission only form of the car was from time when BMW M didn't offer a and automatic or M-DCT, and one had to "commit" to it and it was and still is not for fakes.

The M Coupe is an anomaly within the automotive world. These types of cars don't sell very well but typically get into the hands of the intended segment via second hand ownership.

The psychographics of the buyer for two-door, manual hatchback performance car is very unique with in the automotive world, hence sales in very small numbers. You people are just wired differently and see things in different way.

These types of cars are not built by BMW or anyone else for that matter and will never come back.

They are already getting difficult to find in certain years and colors with condition being of the utmost importance. I expect that M Coupe market to tighten as people know what they have and are holding on to them with both hands.

Or are looking for that perfect M Coupe and are willing to wait up to a year or more to find it. That tells you something by itself.

What I am saying is with any of the other cars you mentioned the feel, sound and emotional aspects will not be in any of the others.

Haha, all good. I have been prepping the M to sale for the past couple of weeks and I finally got it back from the interior guy, had the seats refoamed and touched up and it looks brand new... Needless to say I think you guys have convinced me to keep it and just get a truck or something.

So final question, if I get an M5 sub 30k would I be up to my eyeballs in mechanic bills on something around 60k -70k miles?

Or just do some fun mods to the Mcoupe like exhaust & supercharger and maybe go wide body... I have always loved the RWB Porsches and thought about doing something like that. Of course this would be if I go the Tacoma route

Would this be a sin??
Attached Images

09-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #12
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

dc: I never saw parts 2 and 3 of that video. That's nuts man! I'm also in the camp of having a truck to go along with your fun car. I have a Honda Ridgeline which is a lot more practical for a family than a Tacoma though. You can put strollers and groceries in the trunk for everyday use. For family vacations we have the trunk to keep our luggage dry and safe, and we throw the bikes, tents and cooler in the bed.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #13
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319

Haha, all good. I have been prepping the M to sale for the past couple of weeks and I finally got it back from the interior guy, had the seats refoamed and touched up and it looks brand new... Needless to say I think you guys have convinced me to keep it and just get a truck or something.

So final question, if I get an M5 sub 30k would I be up to my eyeballs in mechanic bills on something around 60k -70k miles?

Or just do some fun mods to the Mcoupe like exhaust & supercharger and maybe go wide body... I have always loved the RWB Porsches and thought about doing something like that. Of course this would be if I go the Tacoma route

Would this be a sin??
Do not put rivets in the OEM sheet metal of a highly desirable car that BMW only built 1,815 units of for the US market!

Libertywalk and their ilk are the scourge of the automotive world to me.

You can look at the E39 M5. Just make sure it has maintenance and repair records because this is extremely important for this car.

One must have an understanding that even though the car can be up to 16 years old of it is a MY2000 it will have the maintenance and repairs of a $75,000 performance sedan.

You will need an excellent independent mechanic with extensive experience with the E39 and its S62 V8.

My friend bought one and loved it. He only sold because he retired and wanted his last Porsche which is a 997.2 Turbo S. Otherwise he would still have it.

The E39 M5 is the quintessential BMW M car in size and aesthetics.

You have nice problems.

If you go suspension on the M Coupe look at TC Kline but there are many others to choose from.

Supercharged, I have heard lots of good things about the G-Power unit and have been to PSI in Orlando since the sell and install them.

Again, there are about three supercharger stop choose from but I would go G-Power.

There are choices out there for a BBK such as zeckenhaus to assist with this.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #14
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
dc: I never saw parts 2 and 3 of that video. That's nuts man! I'm also in the camp of having a truck to go along with your fun car. I have a Honda Ridgeline which is a lot more practical for a family than a Tacoma though. You can put strollers and groceries in the trunk for everyday use. For family vacations we have the trunk to keep our luggage dry and safe, and we throw the bikes, tents and cooler in the bed.
The Ridgeline is essentially a Honda Pilot with a bed instead of the enclosed rear area so it is more SUV like than the Tacoma. Still a good choice for the utility. Unless you have a boat bigger than 16'-17' or full size camping trailer to tow, it's pretty rare when you need the capability of a full size pickup, so having a compact truck addresses the people and stuff moving shortages of your sports car. Our Taco's been paid off for 10 years now so the only real cost to have it on standby is the insurance, and since we have three vehicles and two drivers, we get a significant low usage discount on that.
Hopefully you haven't had any of the auto tranny issues with your Ridgeline that have been an issue for others.
      09-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #15
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post

Would this be a sin??
With the E39 M5 you'll get an outstanding performance sedan, but initially you'll have some age related maintenance to do. 60K-70K and the age of the E39 puts it at the point where most of the rubber bushings and some other parts in the suspension need replacing. A cooling system refresh (radiator, water pump, hoses, etc.) will be due also if the PO hasn't already had that done. The most common issue with older S62 engines is a valley pan coolant leak. It's a 1-2 $K job at an indie shop. It's not a bad DIY job, but you have to be meticulous about it or you won't get it sealed and you'll be doing it again a couple times.

And IMHO the wide body kit would be a sin. The build quantity of the Z4MC was low enough to put it in the collectible class sometime in the future. Cars that have been highly modified lose a lot of value from that perspective.
      09-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #16
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Keep the Moupe.

If you want practicality- get a truck (Taco, F150, Silverado) either of the 3 should be perfect.

If you want fun- get the E55. MBZ forum raves about how bullet-proof AMG engines are (I Can't Disagree). However, with ANY German car, make sure the PO maintained it properly. Should be relatively easy to find. I remember seeing one guy selling a 2-owner, meticulously owned, 65k E55 for $18k. So the search shouldn't be too hard.

After owning both an M, non-M, and an AMG, and a non-AMG. I can say that Mercedes do tend to have a higher build quality than its German counterpart (from personal experiences). I know there are horror stories from both sides, but so far I've been amazed with how MBZs hold up over time compared to BMWs.

Good luck!
      09-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #17
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Ha ha.. I would say don't get rid of the car but its up to you.. I kept mine and went with a RX450h, now a second spawn is out, I need a 3 row suv.. RX is being traded in, not the z4. My RX is pretty problem free, aside from the regular 10k oil change and a recent brake job. Currently at 125k after 4 years.

Pick a reliable car, you dont want to spend all your extra money fixing it or for maintenance.
      09-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #18
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
The Ridgeline is essentially a Honda Pilot with a bed instead of the enclosed rear area so it is more SUV like than the Tacoma. Still a good choice for the utility. Unless you have a boat bigger than 16'-17' or full size camping trailer to tow, it's pretty rare when you need the capability of a full size pickup, so having a compact truck addresses the people and stuff moving shortages of your sports car. Our Taco's been paid off for 10 years now so the only real cost to have it on standby is the insurance, and since we have three vehicles and two drivers, we get a significant low usage discount on that.
Hopefully you haven't had any of the auto tranny issues with your Ridgeline that have been an issue for others.
Yes yes, I've heard all the teasing already about my "truck" BTW I also have a Pilot and I think the Pilot is much nimbler. There were some differences in the suspension, transmission/cooler, etc. between the Pilot and Ridgeline, but the engine is identical. I don't think payload is all that different from the Tacoma and towing capacity isn't far behind, which is a non-issue unless you happen to have a boat that weighs more than 5000 lbs, but less than 6000. The Taco definitely has better off-road abilities though. I just threw the Ridgeline into the conversation because the OP is starting a family and he had the same priorities as I did when I bought mine. When I test drove both trucks I thought the Ridgeline's interior was hands down more luxurious and the trunk won me over as a family hauler. The rear seats are far more accommodating for infant car seats than the Tacoma's which is a valid concern for the OP. I think I've gone off-roading or towed a trailer maybe 3 times in the past 10 years, but I buy groceries every week so the I picked the Ridgeline's amenities over the Tacoma's toughness. I have around 180k miles on mine and no issues. I do a drain/fill of the ATF with every oil change to avoid tranny issues. Cost is about $35 for both the motor oil and ATF every 7500 miles.

Last edited by Twixboy; 09-12-2016 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #19
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Yes yes, I've heard all the teasing already about my "truck" BTW I also have a Pilot and I think the Pilot is much nimbler. There were some differences in the suspension, transmission/cooler, etc. between the Pilot and Ridgeline, but the engine is identical. I don't think payload is all that different from the Tacoma and towing capacity isn't far behind, which is a non-issue unless you happen to have a boat that weighs more than 5000 lbs, but less than 6000. The Taco definitely has better off-road abilities though. I just threw the Ridgeline into the conversation because the OP is starting a family and he had the same priorities as I did when I bought mine. When I test drove both trucks I thought the Ridgeline's interior was hands down more luxurious and the trunk won me over as a family hauler. The rear seats are far more accommodating for infant car seats than the Tacoma's which is a valid concern for the OP. I think I've gone off-roading or towed a trailer maybe 3 times in the past 10 years, but I buy groceries every week so the I picked the Ridgeline's amenities over the Tacoma's toughness. I have around 180k miles on mine and no issues. I do a drain/fill of the ATF with every oil change to avoid tranny issues. Cost is about $35 for both the motor oil and ATF every 7500 miles.
I wasn't putting down the Ridgeline, just agreeing that it does have a better ride due to it's SUV heritage. My Taco is the Prerunner so its essentially the 4WD without 4WD drive and I definitely would not call its ride "smooth".