ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
miscbrah
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Car starts 2nd crank - cold only

Hey everyone, decided to join up after reading off & on since I picked the car up.

2006 Z4 3.0si, after sitting overnight the car won't start on the first crank. Fires immediately on the second crank. (I've always left the key in position 2 to let the pump run before starting)

Started out as an intermittent issue on cold(er) mornings but has become constant at this point. Seems to take 6+ hours of being parked for it to happen.

From what I've read it could be a crank sensor or leak in the fuel system. Any recommendations on diagnosing?

In the last 5k miles I've changed the spark plugs and air filter.

Saw a similar thread here with no updates:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83855
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscbrah View Post
Hey everyone, decided to join up after reading off & on since I picked the car up.

2006 Z4 3.0si, after sitting overnight the car won't start on the first crank. Fires immediately on the second crank. (I've always left the key in position 2 to let the pump run before starting)

Started out as an intermittent issue on cold(er) mornings but has become constant at this point. Seems to take 6+ hours of being parked for it to happen.

From what I've read it could be a crank sensor or leak in the fuel system. Any recommendations on diagnosing?

In the last 5k miles I've changed the spark plugs and air filter.

Saw a similar thread here with no updates:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83855
Do you have access to a BMW code reader and software? It could be a lot of things, but chances are there's a code that could pinpoint if for you. You can find these really cheap on Fleabay or Amazon. For 25-50 bucks it's way cheaper than trying this or that.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
miscbrah
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Do you have access to a BMW code reader and software? It could be a lot of things, but chances are there's a code that could pinpoint if for you. You can find these really cheap on Fleabay or Amazon. For 25-50 bucks it's way cheaper than trying this or that.
I may drop by Advance Auto and borrow their scanner to see if there are any codes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, ruled out any potential battery issue - Left it on the trickle charger for 2 days to no avail. Pressing the gas pedal seemed to get it to start on the first crank, albeit longer cranking time than normal (or second try).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:30 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscbrah
Quote:
I may drop by Advance Auto and borrow their scanner to see if there are any codes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, ruled out any potential battery issue - Left it on the trickle charger for 2 days to no avail. Pressing the gas pedal seemed to get it to start on the first crank, albeit longer cranking time than normal (or second try).
A standard code reader won't pick up BMW extended codes. If Advance is BMW related you should be fine though.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #5
miscbrah
Private
Rep

Quote:
A standard code reader won't pick up BMW extended codes. If Advance is BMW related you should be fine though.
It would be a standard OBDII code reader, which sounds like it won't pick up everything. I just started looking into INPA and may order a cheap cable to try it out.

Other than the peake tool sold by ECS or CarlyBMW app, can anyone recommend a cheap standalone that can read/access all of the BMW modules and codes?
Appreciate 0