ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #1
Daniel7
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i (M54)

Question Change DSC button behaviour (coding?)

Hi!

Is it possible to change the behaviour of the DSC button? Maybe via coding?

It is annoying that i have to push the button 3 seconds to get into the DSC off mode. Is there a way to shorten this time or change the behaviour of the button to something that is more useful?

Thank you very much!

Bye,
Daniel
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

There may be a way, but it involves changing settings in the ECU. Not easily done. M3 folks have done it to their ECU's, but we have a different generation of Siemen's ECU. I think it's possible to have Sport Mode memory, always on and a couple of other settings. It would be difficult because you need the specific address and a binary to hex editor.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
M-Track Mode

I enabled M-Track mode in the 20007 Z4MC. Short press the DSC button enables M-track mode which allows more sidways action before stability control kicks in as well as much more rear wheel spin before traction control kicks in. Long press of DSC, disables all traction and stability control. I recoded the MK60.C20 module similar to what is done on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 03:27 AM   #4
Daniel7
Registered
Germany
Rep

Hi,

thank you for the informations. The binary hacks would be a bit too much, i think.

In the last days i read about coding the DSC ECU on E46 M3's. Very interesting. Maybe i will read more about it and look what is available on the older DSC.

Due to the button behaviour: I think an easy fix is to put some electronics between the DSC push button and the ECU. I've already measured it and a simple logic in a micro controller would do the work. I will give it a try the next days.

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Daniel7
Registered
Germany
Rep

Hey,

just for your information. I've done the microcontroller stuff.

It's based on an arduino. I cut the wire of the DSC push button and used one end as an input and the other end as an output to send signals to the DSC ecu.

Now if i push the button it sets to the next mode: DSC everything on -> DTC mode -> everything off -> DSC everything on. Every mode change with a short button push. Never pressing the button for 3 seconds again.

Second new behaviour is that it remembers the current mode. On the next engine start it sets the mode to the mode that was active at the last run.

I've implemented a setup to set the options and to set it easily to the stock behaviour. Everything with the one DSC push button.

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm a noob in electronic stuff and it's quite nice to see it working.

If someone wants to build something like that too, note that the cable from the dsc push button is on 12 volts when the button is pushed. I've used an optocoupler to make sure that the input pin of the arduino only gets 5 volts.

Thanks for listening.

Bye,
Daniel
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I enabled M-Track mode in the 20007 Z4MC. Short press the DSC button enables M-track mode which allows more sidways action before stability control kicks in as well as much more rear wheel spin before traction control kicks in. Long press of DSC, disables all traction and stability control. I recoded the MK60.C20 module similar to what is done on the M3.
What do you charge? Some might be interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel7
Hey,

It's based on an arduino. I cut the wire of the DSC push button and used one end as an input and the other end as an output to send signals to the DSC ecu.

Now if i push the button it sets to the next mode: DSC everything on -> DTC mode -> everything off -> DSC everything on. Every mode change with a short button push. Never pressing the button for 3 seconds again.

Second new behaviour is that it remembers the current mode. On the next engine start it sets the mode to the mode that was active at the last run.

I've implemented a setup to set the options and to set it easily to the stock behaviour. Everything with the one DSC push button.

I'm pretty happy with it. I'm a noob in electronic stuff and it's quite nice to see it working.

If someone wants to build something like that too, note that the cable from the dsc push button is on 12 volts when the button is pushed. I've used an optocoupler to make sure that the input pin of the arduino only gets 5 volts.

Thanks for listening.

Bye,
Daniel
Very nice! I was doing something similar to this (even got the Arduino to go along with it) but the project ended up on the back burner.

I plan to hook it up to the multi-function steering wheel buttons or cruise control stalk to control the DSC settings. I wanted to eventually go so far as to include some stepper motors on the Koni S/A shocks to change suspension settings with the steering wheel buttons. I've always got bigger dreams than the time to do them though

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Can someone translate that into English! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel7 View Post
Hey,

Bye,
Daniel
Great job Daniel, I'm sure there will be a few people interested in this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post
Can someone translate that into English! Lol
Simply put, the OP didn't like the 3 second holding of the DSC button, so instead, they changed it to a short press for any mode. As well the car now remembers the last mode selected the next time the car is started were as before, the car defaulted back to all nannies on when turned off. Brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Great job Daniel, I'm sure there will be a few people interested in this mod.

Simply put, the OP didn't like the 3 second holding of the DSC button, so instead, they changed it to a short press for any mode. As well the car now remembers the last mode selected the next time the car is started were as before, the car defaulted back to all nannies on when turned off. Brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:36 AM   #11
Daniel7
Registered
Germany
Rep

Hi!

Thank you for the compliments.

Thank you pungo for the good explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I plan to hook it up to the multi-function steering wheel buttons or cruise control stalk to control the DSC settings. I wanted to eventually go so far as to include some stepper motors on the Koni S/A shocks to change suspension settings with the steering wheel buttons. I've always got bigger dreams than the time to do them though
That's a realy nice idea. But i don't have those buttons on my steering wheel.

Do you know if the buttons are simple pushbuttons that can be easily read out or are they communicating on a bus?

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

I would assume/hope this would apply to the N52 cars also?
      02-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I plan to hook it up to the multi-function steering wheel buttons or cruise control stalk to control the DSC settings.
we think alike. There are 2 useless buttons on the multi-function steering wheel. One can be used for sport, the other for dsc