ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Another top problem

So I'm new to the forum but not the car. The top motor went out a year ago so my dad and I fixed it and then rigged it so that no water could get in (drilling holes, caulking, etc), so there is NOT any water in there. It worked fine but now it just unlatches from the frame and doesn't go down. I can hear the motor running and even hear fluid moving behind my right ear. The top is also very easy to put down by hand. Before it took both me and my dad to get it down, now I just put it down really easy. The microswitch is good, I tested it. The manual release is where it's suppost to be, not activated. My current thought is maybe something came loose? Like I said the top is easy to put down and it wasn't before. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I can't hear fluid with mine (perhaps I'm not listening closely enough)? If you can actually hear the fluid perhaps you've got a hydraulic leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Stromtech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i 6-speed Sport

If your drains are clear and you have a leak I think you would see hydraulic fluid on the ground below the drains.
It sounds to me like your manual release is not disengaged. Try releasing it and setting it back in position again.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
i had this similar if not exact situation happen to me today too.

I had put the top down, then after a while put it up, then about 30 minutes later went to go put it down and then it just unlatched and would not retract. The switch kept blinking no matter what combination of buttons pressed OR turning the car on/off.

I then proceeded to disengage the hydraulic motor by pulling the cable out and turning to manually put the top down. At that point I was an idiot and couldn't figure out how to engage the hydraulic motor (nothing in the manual about this). For the hell of it, I pressed the close button and could hear the motor running. So I manually put the top up and pressed the close button to re-latch the soft top.

After a bit, while the top was still up and engaged, I put the cable back into the slot and turned it towards me. Pressed the open button and it started to work again!

Is this a sign of bad things? or just the cable possibly getting loose? I have never messed with the cable beforehand.

I would like to mention, that there have been a few times where my top would sort of "stick" during the open process. It would unlatch however wouldn't retract the soft top. I could hear the motor running and all I had to do was give it a little nudge for it to start retracting.

I did do the drain plug DIY before summer started.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Hey that's funny because a few months ago I had to give it a little nudge to get it to retract. Sounds like we have the same problem whatever it is, I've never encountered a convertible top with this many complications/problems! I'll engage the manual release today then disengage it and see if that does anything
Appreciate 0