ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
falkman
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Seeking Advice

Heya,

I've been driving a 2003 Z4 2.5i for about 1 year now, and I really like it. However, I think it is time to move on. I'm thinking about getting either a Z4M or a Porsche Cayman S. I'm a young guy, so I don't quite trust my financial intuition. I'm just curious what you guys think is a good living salary for a 25k, 30k, or 35k car (I'd be interested in a salary for each price step). I have absolutely no financial obligations besides (dirt cheap) rent. Also I have no kids and no wife. I know I could afford a car in that range, but affording and 'good idea' both fall into two different categories.

As for forward thinking, I can't think of any obligations I may pick up in the future either... probably wont get married for 4-5 years, let alone have kids.

One thing that I would never tap into are my 401k and Roth IRA contributions, which I will always max out, so factor that in as well.

Also, where are all the Z4Ms at in the Northern Virginia area? I can't find any. Anyone have experience with both Porsche Caymans and Z4Ms? I'm still trying to figure out which one I'd like more.

-Brandon
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

lots of good threads comparing Cayman to Z4M
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=cayman

Maintenance is expensive and so is gas with both. The Z4M is easier to work on than the cayman. Have you test driven both? I know a lot of us did the Cayman vs. Z4M comparison when deciding to buy.

Take a look in the salary and what you do for a living threads to get an idea of the type of people that purchase these cars.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673809
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=salary
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
falkman
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
lots of good threads comparing Cayman to Z4M
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=cayman

Maintenance is expensive and so is gas with both. The Z4M is easier to work on than the cayman. Have you test driven both? I know a lot of us did the Cayman vs. Z4M comparison when deciding to buy.

Take a look in the salary and what you do for a living threads to get an idea of the type of people that purchase these cars.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673809
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=salary
Thanks for the links, it looks like I should be able to move forward with something up to 35k (still looking for more advice though).

I'll probably go test drive a Cayman this week, however I can't find any Z4Ms to test drive around here. I also have to decide on the coupe or the roadster. After leak issues I'm considering the coupe, but I will miss the breeze...

-Brandon
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

No M or cayman, but there's a 2.5i, a Porsche 944S2, and 2 Porsche 911s in my driveway. The Z4 is an AMAZING car!....but get the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

If you want the car to flatter your driving capabilities, get the Cayman, if you want much more excitement and a car that requires more skill to drive as fast, get the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

+1 on what aerobod said. Drive them both, that's what I did. Cayman if you want a car that steers on rails. Z4 M if you prefer more of a handful/wild ride. Guess which one I chose

There is no wrong answer, there's only what you personally prefer.
      07-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Just remember that running costs (insurance, maintenance) will be much higher in the M and Cayman.

As for finances, I tried to keep my car expense as a fairly low portion of my income. Gotta leave money for modding =)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod
If you want the car to flatter your driving capabilities, get the Cayman, if you want much more excitement and a car that requires more skill to drive as fast, get the Z4M.
+1. The cayman is balanced well with more weight over the rear wheels. The M won't have as much weight on the rear so I would imagine you could spin the back pretty easy (FUNN!!)
Appreciate 0