ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Gentlemans Agreement/Understanding???

Ok so here's the deal... I live in a high rise and we have a 4 story parking garage. I always have parked on the 3rd floor in an area where no other cars park, except for another Z06. We are both car guys and he has his spot and I have mine, and there is always one spot between us. And then some douchebag comes along and decides to now take my FN SPOT!?? He has a new TSX and although its not a "Drivers Car" it is new and so I respect the fact that he wants to park in an uncongested area to avoid from door dings. I get all of this but what I don't get is how he has the BALLS to just take my spot? I have been there longer, I have always parked there and now he just starts taking my spot? When the vette is gone and the guys in my spot I dont take the vets spot, I just move over an additional spot because I have an understanding that I would think Most men have...That's your spot and so I will not take it.... I mean these spots are not reserved, nobody's names are on them, but damn! Don't you think if you see a car always parked in a certain spot you have an understanding or a gentlemens agreement not to park there????

For example: I am far from being in school, but do you remember the days when you went to class you always sat in the same spot, there were no assigned seats but you just sat there everyday... now what would you do if some new guy came along and saw you sitting there and then one day he thinks to himself hey I will sit there today!??

Should I say something to the guy?

...Your thoughts please?

BTW in the area where we park there are about 5-8 other spots he can park in...
      09-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
jatmallet
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Roadster

I wouldn't say anything. He might be a new guy who didn't realize you had a spot there, and if there are other spaces, why not take one of the other ones? Btw, I have kind of the same deal at my place, and do get irritated when someone "steals" my spot next to the wall. One of the many pitfalls of not living in suburbia, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

if there are lots of other parking spots, find something else to stress over
      09-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

meh

I believe you are best off picking another vacant area for your car. Safety /peace of mind outweighs convenience, and the risk of negative consequences for your car if you confront the moron outweighs the inconvenience of parking elsewhere. The least worst outcome is to relocate your ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
Ok so here's the deal... I live in a high rise and we have a 4 story parking garage. I always have parked on the 3rd floor in an area where no other cars park, except for another Z06. We are both car guys and he has his spot and I have mine, and there is always one spot between us. And then some douchebag comes along and decides to now take my FN SPOT!?? He has a new TSX and although its not a "Drivers Car" it is new and so I respect the fact that he wants to park in an uncongested area to avoid from door dings. I get all of this but what I don't get is how he has the BALLS to just take my spot? I have been there longer, I have always parked there and now he just starts taking my spot? When the vette is gone and the guys in my spot I dont take the vets spot, I just move over an additional spot because I have an understanding that I would think Most men have...That's your spot and so I will not take it.... I mean these spots are not reserved, nobody's names are on them, but damn! Don't you think if you see a car always parked in a certain spot you have an understanding or a gentlemens agreement not to park there????

For example: I am far from being in school, but do you remember the days when you went to class you always sat in the same spot, there were no assigned seats but you just sat there everyday... now what would you do if some new guy came along and saw you sitting there and then one day he thinks to himself hey I will sit there today!??

Should I say something to the guy?

...Your thoughts please?

BTW in the area where we park there are about 5-8 other spots he can park in...
So here is my $0.02 worth; I've encountered this in many locations across the globe with many cars; not saying I'm an expert, but perhaps have an understanding for such occurrences.

There are usually two types of people .... the first type is looking to antagonize you for no good reason, or for whatever reason they justify; the second is an innocent person who just made a rational decision in their mind that you may interpret as a "pissing in your wheaties" scenario.

Of course, there is also the option that maybe this person just wants to get your attention (or the vette's) by parking close to nice cars .... dunno ..... maybe take it as a compliment?

In any event; perhaps this driver doesn't realize he is "taking" your spot,

Maybe a meet & greet is in order? Get to know this person; obviously they have not been around long enough to understand your connection with that specific spot.

If all that doesn't work, kick him in the balls and tell him this is Z4 parking only!!

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Basically, you have no rights here. If it was me ... I'd wait for him to vacate the spot, then move back in ... and just leave your car there for a week, so he gets used to parking somewhere else. Because that is all there is to it -- habit. And do it quickly, before he gets used to your spot.

The school analogy is quite fun - I remember that seating system... but I'm not sure it is quite appropriate ... The school system also involves complex geo-spatial relationships with how friends are seated.

Otherwise, you can put up a "BMW Parking only" sign ... I found one at Portobello Rd markets in London.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Your name not on it, it is not your spot.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I agree, as long as you have another good option, there's a lot of other things to worry about besides a parking spot.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Park elsewhere and write it off as ignorance. Or, politely talk to the owner and risk sounding childish. If it was malicious, I promise you this isn't the first or last time the owner has done something like this. That kind of thing catches up with people. You just have to restrain your emotions, and make sure you aren't the person that causes his actions to catch up with him; otherwise it will end poorly for both of you. No need losing sleep over it.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

take a shit on the spot, near the edge, where the tires go
      09-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
BU Z4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Big & Small

Just park your car for about 4 weeks on that spot and don't move it, or just switch it with another car
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
take a shit on the spot, near the edge, where the tires go
This.

F-that. I'd be making every attempt to get in 5 minutes b4 him each and every day to reclaim 'my' territory. Dude's gotta learn his place. Screw all the politeness. And don't forget to dump in the stall for good measure
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

mark your territory take a piss on it! thats what dogs do! lol

honestly if there are plenty of safe spots i would just move a little bit, but when the spot you usually park in i would take it
      09-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU Z4 View Post
Just park your car for about 4 weeks on that spot and don't move it, or just switch it with another car
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I feel your pain however he probably had no idea it was "your" spot.

There are more important things to stress about, find another spot and know that you have a much cooler car than him so, no matter what, you've already won!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
At first I was thinking the guy "stealing" the spot was a douche. Then I thought about what I would think about a guy confronting me regarding his claim to a semi-public parking space.

I am with those that suggested the defecation solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

lol about the territory marking comments!!!

years ago I lived in a pretty congested area, and it's a park where you can find it area. But there was this one house that hated people parking infront of their curb. They would set up cones and trash cans on non trash days, pretty immature. I parked their once, when nothing was there, and I came out to a queen sized mattress on top of my truck(had it been any other car there would have been conflict)that 's not to say that the mattress was politely set on the curb I got the message and I never parked there again, but when friends would come over, they wouldn;t have a clue and park there. The poor girl was trapped by their cars with barely an inch to spare in the front and back. The worst part was that they were watching from their yard and making comments. I politely asked them to move it, so that she could leave, but they denied any of them were their cars(it was theirs) and then they approached me and asked if I had a problem....to be completely honest, I don;t remember what happened from there but no cops were called and she went home

but yeah the moral of the story is don't be that douche. And ironically now that I have a home, I find myself being territorial but definitely not to that degree. Just go find yourself a good PDR guy. I just found a good guy that does $50 a panel

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
The real key here for me in this scenerio is whether the new guy observed the existing behavior between you and the Z06 guy BEFORE deciding to take your park. We all know that there is no "reserved" space in public parking, except for the handicaped. Based on your description of how this happened, I am of the opinion he "observed" the parking behavior and thought to himself "hmmmmm, I'll take this space, looks safe".

As a car guy myself, if I moved into a new area and observed two "car guys" parking the way the two of you do, I would never jump in and start taking either of your parking spaces. As a fellow car aficionado, if I did that, I would look AND feel like a douche bag to both of you guys. Either this guy is a dick and doesn't care, or the other option, clueless.

John
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
if there are lots of other parking spots, find something else to stress over
whs

i went to school in philly and it was an outright battle for a spot, if you could find one.
      09-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

me too, Temple center city
      09-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

cool...drexel here.

i hate ppa with a passion.
      09-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep

I feel your pain. I am kind of in the same situation. I have used the name Blind32 since 1997. For many things, mostly gaming. It is a pretty obscure name and would never think someone else would use it but I noticed it was being used by someone else for TF2. No big deal, I don't really play that game. But now he is treading on my turf.

I recently tried to sign up for the Origin service for EA games for the new Battlefield 3 game and Blind32 has already be registered! WTF! Not only can I not sign up with my usual name, but if he sucks, my rep will be tarnished!

It's childish I know, but now I have to think up a new name, remember to use it for this account only. It's aggravating. Maybe I'll write a script to constantly scour the internet and register my name on every service possible...

/rant over
Appreciate 0