ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Tall driver needs your help!

Hey all!

I'm about to pull trigger on an M Coupe (not local), but am in real need of some advice.

I'm 6'4" and about 215lbs with a 34/36 inch inseam.

Now I've sat in an 07 M Coupe with Manual seats locally, but the one I may be buying has 8-way power seats.

The problem I'm having, is that any which way I try it, I'm at the LIMIT of comfort and bordering on not being able to do it.
The headroom 'seems' to work, but my legs are just not really working. My thighs don't rest on the front of the seat even with the front (of the seat) inclined, the back of the seat down all the way, and the seat fully as far back as she'll go. This means mean fatigue unless I can figure something out.

If I could only get another inch of height and/or 1/2 - 1 inch going back, I'd be one happy camper. Any ideas?

Aftermarket Sparco or Recaro seats the answer? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. This is a mod that I will do to make the sale.

Another forum suggested removing the foam from the back of the seat? HELP!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
No tall drivers out there? Is anyone familiar with breaking a tab at the back of the seat rail to get another 1/2 inch? Aftermarket seats? Anything?

Trying desperately to pull trigger on this sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
No tall drivers out there? Is anyone familiar with breaking a tab at the back of the seat rail to get another 1/2 inch? Aftermarket seats? Anything?
I've heard of the rear tab trick, but not on an M Coupe. The rail length isn't your problem, it's the rear bulkead, which you'll hit before you reach the limit of the seat rails.

It just doesn't sound good to me. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam (and size 14/15 feet) and I manage by raising the seat, as the higher the seat the more room behind you there is, but you're taller and would need that headroom.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

6'1 with 34" inseam here as well. I'm as comfortable as I can be in the car but just one inch less room and I'd be miserable. Though unlike epbrown, I opt to have the seat back adjusted slightly more upright so I can have the seat base back a little and slammed on the floor.

I think your best bet would be some thin, fixed-back race buckets like the Recaro Pole Positions. You'll have a lot more fitment options, plus you'll have much better lateral support than the stock seats. I know a couple guys here have installed them in their M Coupes.
      08-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexstrafer View Post
I know a couple guys here have installed them in their M Coupes.
I'd like to ask them if I could. Can you msg me their info if it's alright? That's exactly the step I was thinking is going to be necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Hunter Rose
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadste

I guess it's a personal comfort level thing.

I am 6'5" with a 36" inseam 220lbs. My past two cars were a 2004 Z4 for 3 years and now a 2007 M Roadster for the last 3 years. Both as daily drivers. I think there is enough room. Granted, you are not reclining like in an SUV, but hell, it's a sportscar, so I guess I don't mind the feeling of being poured in there. Only tip I have is put the seat all the way down, all the way back, and then move it forward just slightly. Contours much better to the back that way for me. Also make sure your back is all the way back in the seat. Other than that, you just have to decide if you are willing to live with it or not.

It's an awesome car, so I say go for it. The M coupes look great, and if I didn't absolutely love top down driving, I'd have gone Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the tips Hunter.

I'm certainly willing to give up some creature comfort in the name of ownership. I'm just looking for that elusive 1/2 or 1 inch. I wouldn't even mind ripping the driver seat out and going for a Sparco or Recaro fixed-seat if it means I get that inch.

The headroom really isn't even the issue. It's more the fact that my thigh won't rest on the front of the seat. So longer than an hour's driving... and you know it'll wreck the knees. I'm going to call VAC to see if they have a rail solution.

All these tips help and I really appreciate the tall guys weighing in (no pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

I know man! this car has like no leg room! I'm 5 8' and its a constant battle.... jk about the battle, not the height...lol
      08-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

There's a guy selling custom low seat brackets, and seats in the for sale forum.

I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam 210lbs, and I have no trouble (with a helmet on it's close). I am also not all the way back to the bulkhead, but the seat is all the way to the floor, and fairly upright.

I have a friend who's a little taller, and he's concerned about foot/pedal room.

Good luck. I love my coupe, I hope you can figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Like others have mentioned, you could install aftermarket seats to see if that would help. I don't believe there's any difference between the manual and power seats in terms of leg room.

This is a small little car for you I wouldn't even try fitting into another roadster, lots of them will leave your legs cramped.

The only other thought is to have the seat rails modified so that you have someone drill another set of holes to have the seat bolt into the car. That might be one way to go? Not sure if that's going to gain you anything though...

Chris
      08-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

quityurbitchin

I'm 6'6" with a 38" inseam...320lbs
This is my wife's car but I find it so much fun to drive, I totally disregard my comfort.
Of course, I can only take about 2 hours at a time but it's fun.
If I had to shift, I would have real problems tho.

I put the 8 way power seat all the way down and move the seat an inch or so forward so I can recline the backrest. That gives me a nice reclining position with pretty good windshield visibility. NO extra knee room!
Of course the convertible helps with the headroom!
Good luck with the racing seats. I have no other suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhopkins1394 View Post
I'm 6'6" with a 38" inseam...320lbs
This is my wife's car but I find it so much fun to drive, I totally disregard my comfort.
Of course, I can only take about 2 hours at a time but it's fun.
If I had to shift, I would have real problems tho.

I put the 8 way power seat all the way down and move the seat an inch or so forward so I can recline the backrest. That gives me a nice reclining position with pretty good windshield visibility. NO extra knee room!
Of course the convertible helps with the headroom!
Good luck with the racing seats. I have no other suggestions.
Not sure if your car has the M seats or not but there is a significant difference between the amount of legroom with the M seats vs. the non M seats. I'm 6'1" and 205 and I had plenty of room with my 3.0si (non M seats). When I went to the M, I found that if I pushed them back too far, they rubbed against the bulkhead behind me and made an annoying squeakin when going over bumps. In this car, that's all the time. So basically, I'm at the limit now if I don't want the squeaking.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

yea for the short people!

(I'm 5'6".... in the morning)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

All the above. I am 6'3" 200lb, 34" inseam. The issue as stated above is that the seat can't be set all the way back or it will rub on the speaker wall. at 6'3" there is very little head room. You may be able to fix this by changing out to a low profile race(ie Recaro) seat.

The leg room is definately an issue for >250 mile drives....
      08-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

johanness,

Ditto exactly what Hunter Rose and NHopkins said before, especially their recommended seat positioning. I'm 6'6" and 215 lbs, with a 37" inseam. My 3.0i roadster with M seats works "acceptably," but the fit is obviously somewhat tight. Once I'm in, I don't find it a problem for a couple of hour at a time--but I don't use the car as a daily driver, either. It also helps to move your left foot in-between the dead pedal and clutch pedal--you can stretch out quite a bit more that way, if you won't be shifting gears for a while.

I haven't sat in a coupe, so I can't offer any useful advice there.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Can't imagine how you bigger guys can even fit in these seats let alone be comfortable.

I'm a trim guy at 5'11" and 162 lbs and the seat is very tight in the upper back and plenty narrow in the hip area.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

Ok, I am 6'3" and my weight is none of your business but lets just say I am a husky fella. I have been test driving all kinds of Z4's lately since I am seriousely considering buying one next month.

At first I didnt even consider it since I thought I would not fit or be comfortable but I was totally wrong. I fit nicely in the car and have no comfort issues so far.

I have NOT test driven any of the M versions ince they are outside of my price range, but like others have said before; I put the seat all the way down and then back until it squeaks against the bulkhead then I just tilt it forward a little bit.

In this position I have been very comfortable although my longest test drive was about an hour and a half I left the car with no discomfort at all. I would say that for the most part I can outlast my wifes ability to hold her bladder so it shouldnt be a problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #18
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

I'll add that there's more room if you're using "track day" seating adjustments. The seat high enough that your head has only 4 fingers of room to the headliner, the seat close enough to completey depress the clutch and gas and still have a bend in your knee, the steering wheel close enough and the seatback straight enough to turn 180 degrees either way with your arms completely bent rather than extended.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

My car has the M seats. I think that they may actually have less padding in the flat part of the seat than the standard seat. The problem is with the tight side bolsters: if you have wider hips or waist than some folks, you may find that you don't sit comfortably there.

So, even if you are 200+ pounds, you may still sit comfortably in the M seats, depending on your own personal dimensions!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Great responses! All excellent tips and advice.

I figure that if I absolutely cannot handle it, once I've bought the car and gotten some serious miles under my belt... then I can go to 'plan B' - an aftermarket seat like a Sparco/Recaro.

VAC Motorsports has a floor mount adapter that allows front/back + side-to-side adjustment, and they claim that it frees up well over an inch (I even think the rep said multiple inches)
That, or I go on a strict diet and try to lose an inch off my back-end

Time for me to get my ride
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #21
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Not sure if your car has the M seats or not but there is a significant difference between the amount of legroom with the M seats vs. the non M seats. I'm 6'1" and 205 and I had plenty of room with my 3.0si (non M seats). When I went to the M, I found that if I pushed them back too far, they rubbed against the bulkhead behind me and made an annoying squeakin when going over bumps. In this car, that's all the time. So basically, I'm at the limit now if I don't want the squeaking.
I think I have the sport seats (non-moveable headrest) Not sure what the M seats look like. And yes, my seat squeaks alot also.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
mmmmgoatcheese
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Mazda3

johanness, I see that you've since purchased an M Coupe. How has it worked out in terms of comfort? Did you end up switching to an aftermarket seat?

I'm in a similar situation now. I'm 6'5", but thin at 180 lbs so my main concern is leg room. I did have the opportunity to test drive an M Coupe, and for that period of time I was comfortable, but I'm concerned about my comfort during longer trips.
Appreciate 0