ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Calling Detailing Gurus - How to Clean Headliner?

I admit it, I don't always wear gloves when working on the car and unfortunately have some faint spots, prints, stains, etc. on the headliner. I had a cheap can of interior foam cleaner and dabbed a spot only to find out it left a dark stain on the liner. So to all the detailing gurus, what's the best way to get dirt (and failed attempts of cleaning mishaps)?

Quick search shows Folex Stain Remover may do the trick, any other recommendations?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 07-14-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I admit it, I don't always wear gloves when working on the car and unfortunately have some faint spots, prints, stains, etc. on the headliner. I had a cheap can of interior foam cleaner and dabbed a spot only to find out it left a dark stain on the liner. So to all the detailing gurus, what's the best way to get dirt (and failed attempts of cleaning mishaps)?

Quick search shows Folex Stain Remover may do the trick, any other recommendations?
The coupe headliner fabric is an odd bird. Too much vigorous rubbing will permanently fuzz it. SO use any basic strong cleaner to spot soak...but plan on using a bucket of the same soap and lightly swiping the whole liner or face a hot-spot result. If soap seems to light, choose a brake aerosol cleaner to break down the stain...and persue with previous mentioned soap ...DO NOT WAIT for drying before proceeding. Air dry.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
jslym777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

definitely mist the liner evenly to avoid water spots and wipe in one direction. sometimes misting glass cleaners work well. do not oversaturate or use excess heat, or the headliner will start to fall
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
The coupe headliner fabric is an odd bird. Too much vigorous rubbing will permanently fuzz it. SO use any basic strong cleaner to spot soak...but plan on using a bucket of the same soap and lightly swiping the whole liner or face a hot-spot result. If soap seems to light, choose a brake aerosol cleaner to break down the stain...and persue with previous mentioned soap ...DO NOT WAIT for drying before proceeding. Air dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post
definitely mist the liner evenly to avoid water spots and wipe in one direction. sometimes misting glass cleaners work well. do not oversaturate or use excess heat, or the headliner will start to fall

Thanks, I just hope the damage has not been done with this interior foam cleaner I tried. I had used it before on the A pillar and it worked fine then but the headliner clearly requires a different approach. The instructions said let it soak for half a min and then rub with the brush head. Seems like it took out the dirt but left a darker stain.
      07-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Good stuff to know. I was thinking about this just this morning (hadn't logged in). Dubbedown saved me a starting a thread!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
It's nylon, which is like a plastic. Use 1Z Einszett's deep plastic cleaner or their cockpick cleaner, it works crazy good, just wipe with the direction of the fibers and finish with a damp microfiber towel. You'll be surprised what is extracted from that liner. I personally don't spray anything while in the car, only onto a microfiber towel.
      07-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

I use Meguiars all purpose cleaner plus and a small hot water extract machine. A little goes a long way. The dilution ratio is 64:1.
Appreciate 0