ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

How do you get your Z4M on jackstands--without ramps?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new jack because I'm done screwing around with Rhino Ramps. I have to extend them with 2x4's or they'll hit the bumper, and they slip unless I haul over some cinderblocks to hold them in place. Then they're not high enough to do much work except perhaps under the plastic undercover, so I have to jack up the car from the central point to get it on stands.

Does there exist a jack that is thin enough to reach the front center jack point with the car on the ground? I'd be willing to pay $300+ if so. I've searched around on Amazon and various forums, but haven't found a floor jack that I'm sure can reach the center point.

A scissor jack is the one thing I know would fit, but it would be between a pain in the ass and impossible to actually operate the jack (with a crank bar) with the car on the ground.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

The chassis is so stiff, you can use the rear side jack point to lift up the entire side, put a jack stand under the front side jack point. Do that on both sides and then jack the rear up using the cross brace point and place your jacks under the rear side jack points.

A low profile jack can reach the rear jack point but the front one is a mother!

I apologize if the description is lacking without the pictures.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

I drive my car on top of 4 pieces of 2x8s to give me enough clearance to get a low profile jack underneath.
      08-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickid View Post
I drive my car on top of 4 pieces of 2x8s to give me enough clearance to get a low profile jack underneath.
I do the same. Easiest and cheapest way to do it by far. Another option for this technique are race ramps: http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/4-Ga...-56-RACE-RAMPS

If there is any jack that can reach the center mounting point, it isn't really going to be cost effective.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome suggestions guys. I found a great low-profile aluminum jack for a good price on Amazon (5-star reviews). I like a_riddler's idea since it doesn't even involve starting the car to get it in the air, but it sounds a bit more tricky (I'd be very concerned about jacking up the other side of the car once getting the first on a stand). I'll drop by a hardware store for some appropriately sized lumber.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Similar to a_riddler I jack up the rear put a jack stand under the front then I have enough clearance to get to the center front jack pad. Then jack up the rear from the differential.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
The chassis is so stiff, you can use the rear side jack point to lift up the entire side, put a jack stand under the front side jack point. Do that on both sides and then jack the rear up using the cross brace point and place your jacks under the rear side jack points.

A low profile jack can reach the rear jack point but the front one is a mother!

I apologize if the description is lacking without the pictures.
I have to agree as I have swapped out wheels a dozen times in the past year. lol I have it down to a timing thing now. Infact my E46 M3 is on all 4 jackstands right now. I have never used ramps to lift my cars. My M3 I have used 2x4s to get it up enough to get my low profile jack under it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickid View Post
+1, though I used 2 x 10's. Used a scissor jack the first time...won't use it a second.

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Scott, what do you need to have done to the car? Perhaps I can ask my shop (which I practically have full access to) if they can help you with something you need, if it's quick/easy?

I can use the shop's lifts for free, but I can't get others in for free unfortunately...so it depends on what you need done, and I can see if it'll be worthwhile for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
I have a very sloped driveway with an abrupt breakaway from level....this may prove to be a problem when I lower my motor.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroker View Post
I have a very sloped driveway with an abrupt breakaway from level....this may prove to be a problem when I lower my motor.
WHEN you lower your motor? What are you planning?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
Yes, what are you up to?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
Yes, what are you up to?
Sorry lost in translation. The Brits use the term "motor" to describe the whole car.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry lost in translation. The Brits use the term "motor" to describe the whole car.
Ah, yes, that one was lost on us. Just as when my neighbor, a Brit, was taking some sort of exam over here and asked the test admin for a "rubber" (eraser). Yes, that caused quite a stir in the testing room.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

It has center jacking points. On is on a pad right near the rear end and the front is kinda hard to get to unless you have a really low profile jack
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

This was a pic I took when I had the E46 M3. The same jack reaches the front jacking point on my slightly lowered Z4MC. I love not having to drive up onto anything!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #17
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Using two floor jacks also works. Jack up a front side then slide the second floor jack under the center front onto the puck. Raise the center and place jack stands on the front side pads

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #18
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found a solution that works well for me:

- These ramps fit with no modification. Overpriced, but a lot nicer and easier than slabs of wood: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details
- This jack is a great deal and well made, fits under most cars without ramps and does clear the Z4M on the Race Ramps: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product (there is a version that doesn't include jack stands, too)

Of course, the center jack point is used for the front, which makes it easy to install the first two jack stands. As yet I haven't needed to jack up the rear, but the rear jack point should be easily accessible at that point.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Hmm, I don't exactly have a low profile jack, but with the front on jack stands I still need my 2x8s under the rear wheels before I can get to the rear jacking point. I just bit the bullet and bought a large set of 2x8 and had it cut into 36" sections, roll the back onto the front end, then roll the front on to the next section (trying to do all four at once doesn't work with my slippery concrete floor.

I'm interested to see what you think once you have it all in your garage. The Rhino ramps really bite big time, and I've given up on them for most things that require under car access.

Honestly, one day I'm just going to say screw it and buy a lift like the one inTgr8r has. Thrashing around under the car becomes more and more of a PITA the older I get. Well, one nice thing about getting older--at least I'm not thrashing around under a 1980 Honda Civic--that is always something I remind myself of when I get to gripping while under the Z.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #20
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

http://shopping.yahoo.com/809578522-...-29023-bh6023/
This is the link for the jack I pictured up top. It's the only jack I've owned that didn't break after a year. I love that it fits under my lowered Z4M up to the front jacking point (barely) without having to drive onto anything. It is a bit hard to crank the handle but it goes. It's over 100 lbs so I only use it in my garage. Also when you lower the car you have to go super slow or it comes down too suddenly. After I learned its quirks I love it! I HATED rhino ramps or any 2X4 I ever used. With my plastic tile garage floor the wood would shoot out from under the car when the tire tried to drive onto it. I love that I do not have to deal with that anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #21
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I jacked the rear first at the differential to raise both rear wheels, then place jack stands under the rubber pads on the bottom of the car. next i slide the jack under the passenger side door up towards the front of the car under the front-center jacking pad to raise both front wheels up off the ground. once that's done i place jack stands under the rubber pads on the bottom of the car. now all 4 wheels are off the ground. btw, i bought my jack at harbor freight for 79.99. low profile 3 ton jack. heavy as f but i don't care, it's not leaving my garage anyway.
Appreciate 0