ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Power Steering Pump failure redux

Hello All,

I wish I was writing under better circumstances, but have a question to pose to the forum.

Last yr on track I had a power steering hose failure, it was not a leak. The power steering hose blew open and sprayed fluid over the driver's side front brake rotor.

I had this fixed by a local mechanic near the track (was at the Glen 6hrs from home). Everything appeared okay.

This year, first time out, 20min into the first session, SAME thing happens. Hose blew open, spraying power steering fluid all over driver's side rotor.

people suggested the OE hoses were no good, but there was no "leak" previously, it just burst off.

A search of the interwebs didn't yield anything substantive. I called the guys at VAC who think its a problem with the pump itself, i.e. a faulty pressure regulator valve within the pump, so the fix would be replace the pump and hoses.

I thought this would be simple enough, parts plus labor, couldn't be TOO bad right...

BMW wants to charge me over $4000 for this !!!!
Am I missing something???? I priced the pump at another dealership at 700, with the hoses around 200 each. I can't possibly see this job taking that long to do?

Suggestions????

btw... the only aftermarket thing installed that has anything to to with the system is an underdrive pulley, which theoretically LOWER the pressure in the system.

Thanks as always...
And shout out to Cybmx, nice meeting you at NJMP!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

People call them Stealerships for a reason. Get it done at a reputable indy and it would probably be 50% cheaper.
      06-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Pump $520 at ECS. Hoses about $200 at ECS. MAYBE 3 hours labor...$4000
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
This may sound like a stupid question, but is it the same pump as the M3 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Not a stupid question at all! It looks like the pump is unique to the e85/e86 M's per RealOEM.com. Good to know....
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Cybmx
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerra View Post
Hello All,

I wish I was writing under better circumstances, but have a question to pose to the forum.

Last yr on track I had a power steering hose failure, it was not a leak. The power steering hose blew open and sprayed fluid over the driver's side front brake rotor.

I had this fixed by a local mechanic near the track (was at the Glen 6hrs from home). Everything appeared okay.

This year, first time out, 20min into the first session, SAME thing happens. Hose blew open, spraying power steering fluid all over driver's side rotor.

people suggested the OE hoses were no good, but there was no "leak" previously, it just burst off.

A search of the interwebs didn't yield anything substantive. I called the guys at VAC who think its a problem with the pump itself, i.e. a faulty pressure regulator valve within the pump, so the fix would be replace the pump and hoses.

I thought this would be simple enough, parts plus labor, couldn't be TOO bad right...

BMW wants to charge me over $4000 for this !!!!
Am I missing something???? I priced the pump at another dealership at 700, with the hoses around 200 each. I can't possibly see this job taking that long to do?

Suggestions????

btw... the only aftermarket thing installed that has anything to to with the system is an underdrive pulley, which theoretically LOWER the pressure in the system.

Thanks as always...
And shout out to Cybmx, nice meeting you at NJMP!
It nice meeting you too man! Was sad to see you leave early. Hope you get this sorted out soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Just musing...with track use, your p/s is working/overworking probably at or beyond it's design capabilities. Witness the common issues of M3's puking excessively heated fluid during track use and the availability of additional cooler for the M3. IF your car has a cooler you may be reducing flow and or creating addl load on the system due to the underdrive pulley.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

You said the first hose blew off and the second hose blew open? I would think the first hose blew off due to age or bad crimp, If the second hose split open then it could have been defective. Maybe you could have one made at napa or good farm and tractor store. I don't think your over revving or overheating we would hear much more of this if that were the case. To spend $4000 without putting pressure gauge on high side of pump first would be crazy unless your rich.
Appreciate 0