ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

First Track Day (Putnam Park)

So, today I officially popped my track cherry and spent some time lapping around Putnam Park Road Course here in Indiana with the friendly members of the Hoosier Chapter BMW CCA. Even though I've done some spirited driving with the M Coupe before, nothing could quite prepare me for the thrill and challenge of the three separate 30 minute long sessions on the track with an incredibly knowledgable and demanding instructor in the seat next to me.

The car performed and handled beautifully, though I'll admit it did take me a while before I got truly comfortable with the braking capability. I thankfully had no mechanical issues throughout the day, and was able to focus on improving my skills instead of being worried about the vehicle, which was more than I could say for some less fortunate individuals.

Putnam Park is a relatively short road course, 1.75 miles in length, with 10 turns (8 right and 2 left,) and only one lengthy straight section. I started off the day completely unfamiliar with the course, and ended up averaging lap times of around 1:46 for the first session. By the second session I had become more comfortable and familiar with the track, and my average time dropped to 1:38. And by the third and final session, I was happy to be posting several laps at 1:31. max speed through the straight section got up to 117, but that wasn't on my fastest lap. I can't wait to see how my time drops when I pull all the pieces together.

I was very happy with the progress I made, part of which was due to reading many posts on here from forum members with tons of track experience, for which I am very grateful. And even though it was my first day, and I was running with the "D" group for beginners, I have to admit I was rather pleased with myself when I ended the final session without getting passed, and on top of that was actually able to pass a fellow driver in a brand new M2.

It may be too early to say for sure, but I think I can already tell that I need to upgrade my brake pads (Cool Carbon S/T) for future events. My pads never faded thus far, but I have the feeling I could brake a little later and more aggressively in certain corners with track focused pads. The tires (PSS) performed well, and felt very responsive, with plenty of feedback. I ran at 30/30 cold, which seemed to do well for me so far. Might bump the front pressure up to 31 or 32 cold tomorrow to help with turn in a bit. Stock camber didn't feel too bad so far, but as I progress, that might change.

Overall it was an awesome experience, and I'm thankful to be a part of an awesome group like the CCA.

If anyone is bored and feels like watching, below is a video for my fastest lap of the day. Obviously not entirely clean, but I'm happy with the progress I've made so far.

Appreciate 2
      06-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Pretty bloody tidy actually mate Sounds like you had a pretty good bloke sitting next to you. DSC on/off? or you had M-track on?

Very cool little vid, Thx. Did you dream the night after about turning in and braking points? lol
      06-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Pretty bloody tidy actually mate Sounds like you had a pretty good bloke sitting next to you. DSC on/off? or you had M-track on?

Very cool little vid, Thx. Did you dream the night after about turning in and braking points? lol
Thanks Vanne, means a lot coming from someone who has some track time under their belt.

Yeah, the instructor was pretty awesome, and thankfully I'll get to have him ride with me tomorrow, as well.

DSC on for now, considering switching to M Track Mode tomorrow, now that I am more comfortable with the layout of the track. I noticed the DSC nannies starting to kick in at points during my final session. I'll see what the instructor has to say before making the final call, though. Not trying to push too hard the first time out.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

taking it nice and easy is the way to go, no smoking brakes or burnt clutches required. its all just about having fun AND being able to drive your own car home that afternoon/evening in one piece.

Safe and fun, and in that order

I am a newbie at the track thing myself mate, but its all about learning and enjoying the day. Very cool to see you heading down the same road as myself
      06-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
Thanks Vanne, means a lot coming from someone who has some track time under their belt.

Yeah, the instructor was pretty awesome, and thankfully I'll get to have him ride with me tomorrow, as well.

DSC on for now, considering switching to M Track Mode tomorrow, now that I am more comfortable with the layout of the track. I noticed the DSC nannies starting to kick in at points during my final session. I'll see what the instructor has to say before making the final call, though. Not trying to push too hard the first time out.
Vid looked excellent for someone popping their cherry!

Great approach to tracking with the car, good instruction from the get go pays HUGE dividends as you gain experience.

Well done!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
taking it nice and easy is the way to go, no smoking brakes or burnt clutches required. its all just about having fun AND being able to drive your own car home that afternoon/evening in one piece.

Safe and fun, and in that order

I am a newbie at the track thing myself mate, but its all about learning and enjoying the day. Very cool to see you heading down the same road as myself
Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to thrash and trash this car, it's too important to me. Plus, I'm more focused on learning than anything else at this point. I'm happy with the progress I made this weekend, without a doubt.

How many track days have you gone to now, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Vid looked excellent for someone popping their cherry!

Great approach to tracking with the car, good instruction from the get go pays HUGE dividends as you gain experience.

Well done!
Thanks, much appreciated. I had an excellent instructor; he really held me accountable for every error, which was overwhelming at first, but incredibly helpful overall.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 03:57 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

6 track days for me since the start of the year.. won't see another one now till probably november.. its way too hot… this off season does however time me some time to do …some… stuff… to the car
      06-13-2016, 04:08 AM   #8
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne
6 track days for me since the start of the year.. won't see another one now till probably november.. its way too hot… this off season does however time me some time to do …some… stuff… to the car
I understand the heat problem, especially given your location. Nothing wrong with taking a little time off and making some upgrades until you can return to the track again. It was 95 Farenheit this weekend, and I couldn't imagine wanting to track the car in temps much higher than that.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
sleepyro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

nice video! looking very good out there for being your first time. I've only had 3 HPDE under my belt and I have to say getting input from multiple experienced instructors pays huge dividends with comfort and confidence. Glad you were able to get a good instructor for your first time.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyro
nice video! looking very good out there for being your first time. I've only had 3 HPDE under my belt and I have to say getting input from multiple experienced instructors pays huge dividends with comfort and confidence. Glad you were able to get a good instructor for your first time.
It definitely made a difference. One guy in my run group didn't get along with his instructor at all, and he seemed pissed off all weekend long; didn't seem to get much out of the event. I was lucky, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
It definitely made a difference. One guy in my run group didn't get along with his instructor at all, and he seemed pissed off all weekend long; didn't seem to get much out of the event. I was lucky, for sure.
It's a fine line between pushing someone to move a bit beyond their comfort zone and being a pain in the a$$. Most people have a great experience but every once in a while there's a bad pairing. I've been pretty fortunate also in not having any instructor issues.
      06-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #12
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright
Quote:
It's a fine line between pushing someone to move a bit beyond their comfort zone and being a pain in the a$$. Most people have a great experience but every once in a while there's a bad pairing. I've been pretty fortunate also in not having any instructor issues.
He was the only guy that seemed to have that problem, thankfully.

I have to say, the instructors are some brave individuals to strap themselves in the passenger side of a car with drivers that have never gone to an HPDE before...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

I generally instruct a few times a year at a particular track. I really never considered myself brave...more like stupid! Actually, it's a pleasure with about 50% of students but it's kind of like a box of chocolates...you never know what's in there until you bite in!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

What is all that green stuff surrounding the track surface?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #15
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
What is all that green stuff surrounding the track surface?
I believe it is a specially formulated and home-grown substance designed to slow vehicles that brake too late and end up going off track. Thankfully I haven't had to make use of yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #16
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe  [6.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Just saw this, glad to see you finally got that M on the Track. If you ever get the chance to head down south we have a few events coming up. The Peachtree Chapter has an event the first weekend of September and then the Tarheel Chapter has an event at VIR in Virginia. Both are great tracks, we also have Petit Le Mans coming up which is a great event for the Club.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:40 AM   #17
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cast
Just saw this, glad to see you finally got that M on the Track. If you ever get the chance to head down south we have a few events coming up. The Peachtree Chapter has an event the first weekend of September and then the Tarheel Chapter has an event at VIR in Virginia. Both are great tracks, we also have Petit Le Mans coming up which is a great event for the Club.
I'm glad I did, as well. I honestly wish I had started tracking it as soon as I got it, but better late than never. And I'm definitely hooked now, without a doubt.

The only major obstacle for me getting track time now is deconflicting my work schedule, as I work 3 day weekends every other week, and our seniority bid based time off requests have to be placed a year in advance, and the local track generally doesn't publish track dates that far in advance, so I have to hope that a weekend I want is still available. I think I'll be able to make at least one more event later this year, but that's probably about all.

Once I truly get comfortable honing my skills on the local track, I'll look to traveling to other tracks, hopefully some time next year. I'm really looking forward to trying out the National Corvette Museum track.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #18
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Once you get comfortable, you will need to try a set of track tires. This last one I went to Toyo R888s and went with the upgraded differential. You will not believe the difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cast
Once you get comfortable, you will need to try a set of track tires. This last one I went to Toyo R888s and went with the upgraded differential. You will not believe the difference.
That's what a lot of the hardcore guys with the CCA said when I was out at the track, haha. I'm probably going to go with a set of Hankook RS3s when my PSS wear out. Diff change to 4.10 is on my (extremely long and ever growing) mod list, but it'll probably be a while before I get around to it.

Did you get your diff from TMS?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
M-Cast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 Coupe  [0.00]
2002 330 CI  [0.00]
2018 BMW 240M  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
It's not cheap, but it really makes a big difference in accelerating out of the corners.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #21
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
I believe it is a specially formulated and home-grown substance designed to slow vehicles that brake too late and end up going off track. Thankfully I haven't had to make use of yet.
It's actually green grease and you go FASTER once you're on it. That's when it's dry. If it's wet it's green ice LOL.

Quote:
That's what a lot of the hardcore guys with the CCA said when I was out at the track, haha. I'm probably going to go with a set of Hankook RS3s when my PSS wear out. Diff change to 4.10 is on my (extremely long and ever growing) mod list, but it'll probably be a while before I get around to it.

Did you get your diff from TMS?
Take a look at the Bridgestone Potenza RE71's. Lots more grip than the Hankooks and about the same wear rate. The RE71s handle heat better than the RS3's do so you can push them a bit more before they start to fall off.
      07-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #22
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright
Quote:
It's actually green grease and you actually go FASTER once you're on it. That's when it's dry. If it's wet it's green ice LOL.
I'm definitely not looking forward to the day that I experience that, but I'm sure it'll come sooner or later. Better grass than a wall, though.
Appreciate 0