ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #639
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I jumped straight to stage 2, so can't comment on the value of the upgrade. Stage 1 is about 380rwhp, and stage 2 is about 420rwhp. That is a pretty noticeable upgrade, believe me. Also, you should probably get the euro headers, since they give a nice bump in power on the stock cars, and even MORESO on the stage 2 kit
      05-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #640
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: VT2-500 ZM4 roadster

I started with VT1-445 and stock us headers Eng Torque was 280(Ft-Lbs) Eng Power 360 HP on a Mustang Dynamometer.
Just upgraded two a VT2-500 and Euro header .
I can feel the difference in the way the car puts me back in my seat the lack in traction in 2nd and 3rd gear
Still tweeking then out to put it on the dyno.
      05-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #641
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22022
I started with VT1-445 and stock us headers Eng Torque was 280(Ft-Lbs) Eng Power 360 HP on a Mustang Dynamometer.
Just upgraded two a VT2-500 and Euro header .
I can feel the difference in the way the car puts me back in my seat the lack in traction in 2nd and 3rd gear
Still tweeking then out to put it on the dyno.
If your car is lowered, u might have too much negative camber in the back for optimal traction. I went from -2.5 to -1.5 and it seemed to lay down the power better
      05-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #642
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
If your car is lowered, u might have too much negative camber in the back for optimal traction. I went from -2.5 to -1.5 and it seemed to lay down the power better
Yes it is lowered, Thanks for the heads up.
How is your car in 1st and 2nd under hard acceleration do you get wheel hop?
Check out the video,(shity run),I go easy in 1st and give it in 2nd but i have to back off because of wheel hop.
      05-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #643
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

rarely, and only in 1st gear if the tires are very cold and its cold outside. But then again, I didn't go to the quarter mile track like you, the surface is different there... so I can't compare
      05-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #644
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22022
Quote:
Yes it is lowered, Thanks for the heads up.
How is your car in 1st and 2nd under hard acceleration do you get wheel hop?
Check out the video,(shity run),I go easy in 1st and give it in 2nd but i have to back off because of wheel hop.
Familiar track.

Careful with wheel hop - Easy way to break our delicate half-shafts. Like Roffle said, less rear neg camber might put the power down a bit better and fix ur issue
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #645
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Raining again checking over my gear clamps provided by ESS they suck!! They keep coming loose,then i break them trying to tighten them.
I think im going to install T clamps w/ nylon lock.
Any thoughts?
      05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #646
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I guess I thought that T-bolt clamps were pretty standard with turbo kits. Those, white rain, 3-4 ply silicone couplers, and bead rolled intercooler pipes should be pretty bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #647
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22022 View Post
Raining again checking over my gear clamps provided by ESS they suck!! They keep coming loose,then i break them trying to tighten them.
I think im going to install T clamps w/ nylon lock.
Any thoughts?
I installed t clamps on the intercooler connections, and the angled connector coming out of the manifold. Agree that the stock ones blow. In fact, mine caused a boost leak
      05-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #648
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

screw you cones!

The coilovers performed pretty well at today's autocross. Not sure if its because it was a fast course, but I had a lot less understeer than before. BUT less rear grip. On hot tires, any heavy throttle would spin the rears. I'm going to raise it up a little bit more, I think I need more suspension travel in the back so the car can squat a little to put down the power. I might be bottoming out, who knows... Videos will be up soon. Some nicely corrected slides

Here's a pic of my eating 2 cones
Attached Images

05-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #649
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Where are you guys buying the T-clamps? The stainless versions from go2marine are pretty pricey. How do I measure the existing clamps from ESS..to determine the best fit? I would assume it is when the first slot in the band touches the first tooth of the roller?

I need to go to clamp school or be schooled on clamps!
      05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #650
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantacookie! View Post
Where are you guys buying the T-clamps? The stainless versions from go2marine are pretty pricey. How do I measure the existing clamps from ESS..to determine the best fit? I would assume it is when the first slot in the band touches the first tooth of the roller?

I need to go to clamp school or be schooled on clamps!
I got mine from a local speed shop that specializes in FI cars. I don't remember the sizes I got, but I measured the diameter of the pipes I want to connect. The clamps have a range of about 1" plus or minus to play with. I think the intercooler clamps are a size smaller than the single tube feeding the intake manifold
      05-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #651
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

here's a cool clip of my messy and then best run. Shot at 60fps, so the slides were edited to play in slow motion. awww yeahh!!!!

Notice how little wind noise there is, because of the external microphone attached to the rear bumper. Watch it in high quality

05-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #652
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
here's a cool clip of my messy and then best run. Shot at 60fps, so the slides were edited to play in slow motion. awww yeahh!!!!

Notice how little wind noise there is, because of the external microphone attached to the rear bumper. Watch it in high quality
Awesome video! Details on the audio setup? Curious about both the microphone type and mounting configuration / exact positioning. I haven't had a chance to continue my early experiments, but under-hood mounting proved difficult. Also, remind me what your exhaust setup is...

My Z4M is currently at ESS having its kit dismantled and reinstalled...hoping for real improvements!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #653
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
Awesome video! Details on the audio setup? Curious about both the microphone type and mounting configuration / exact positioning. I haven't had a chance to continue my early experiments, but under-hood mounting proved difficult. Also, remind me what your exhaust setup is...

My Z4M is currently at ESS having its kit dismantled and reinstalled...hoping for real improvements!
thanks! hope you caught which parts were slow motion. next time I'll make them greyscale vs full color to stand out more.

Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone. Goes down to 50hz as opposed to many others that start at 100hz. Also, I've tried the Olympus ME-51S and it was WAY too sensitive and gave me feedback noise.

The Audio-Technica uses a watch battery, so you gotta make sure you don't drain the battery by leaving it on accidentally. The cord is long enough to place anywhere on the car, which makes it annoying sometimes, but better than too short. Its attached with tape on the top right of the license plate area. The BEST spot for curing wind noise. Trust me, I've tried everything, including putting it into an easter egg full of fur.

For exhaust, I have euro headers, 90* bungs in the stock section 1, and everything else is stock. Its mostly intake sounds, and I like that. The exhaust sounds like a quiet little chainsaw

good luck on your car
      05-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #654
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Considering how often I remove the wheels, I decided to get the 75mm turner motorsports wheel stud kit (on 1-2 week backorder), and these fancy ass lug nuts. They're supposed to be very strong, and not much heavier than aluminium. I picked this color because of how nice the naked yellow-ish valve stem looks on these wheels, so these will either look amazing, or like a bag of crap. Will find out when they're installed

http://www.vexmotorsports.com/Passwo...-_p_13640.html
      05-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #655
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I installed t clamps on the intercooler connections, and the angled connector coming out of the manifold. Agree that the stock ones blow. In fact, mine caused a boost leak
Roffle,I had the same leak ,car runs great now,I replaced all of mine.
Attached Images

05-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #656
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Not sure if its because it was a fast course, but I had a lot less understeer than before.
Understeer magically disappears because you are starting to learn to look ahead. During autocross school intros, it's common to hear students complain about understeer. At the end of the school, some instructors will ask if the understeer magically disappeared

Quote:
BUT less rear grip. On hot tires, any heavy throttle would spin the rears.
The key point is big throttle - you've got to mooossshhh the throttle and not be greedy.

Anyway, you're coming along nicely. Just remember to be sensitive to the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #657
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
Understeer magically disappears because you are starting to learn to look ahead. During autocross school intros, it's common to hear students complain about understeer. At the end of the school, some instructors will ask if the understeer magically disappeared
Never thought of this. But then again, this is the first time I didn't get lost on the track because I showed up early, and had a good general idea of the layout. Hope I can do the same on the longer track next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
The key point is big throttle - you've got to mooossshhh the throttle and not be greedy.

Anyway, you're coming along nicely. Just remember to be sensitive to the throttle.
Thanks! I feel like points of heavy acceleration are the best chance for me to catch up to the more talented drivers going around the corners faster in much less powerful cars, so I get greedy and impatient. I'm gonna try adjusting my driving style for the next race, and then decide if I really need to remove the rear antiroll bars.

I just got an OEM front strut brace, thanks to a complicated dealership experience, which should help the car transition a little quicker. I also got the 90mm Turner stud conversion, along with zinc colored lug nuts. They're MUCH heavier than I expected, but at least the weight will be at the center of the wheel. I'll install them when my fresh hubcentric rings arrive from canada.

Running out of mods on this car. hahahah
      05-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #658
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22022 View Post
Roffle,I had the same leak ,car runs great now,I replaced all of mine.
wow, those are twice as wide as mine. A bit overkill, but I approve
      05-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #659
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Very productive day today:

Detailed interior, including scrubbing the seats with toothbrushes and waxing the trim
Changed the supercharger's oil
fixed one of the horns (it was disconnected)
replaced the ambient temp sensor
completely removed and plugged off the headlight washer system including all hoses
hardwired and installed the Valentine 1 radar detector
installed the stud conversion on one of the wheels, waiting for my new hubcentric rings..
      06-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #660
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

another autocross, another video of me powersliding too much to be competitive

my best slides ever though! The instructor that sat along with me was very impressed with the car's power, and at the end of that second run was like "slow the hell down!". hahahahahah