ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #45
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Yeah, your not the first to tell me that my best mod is the "driver mod" Right off the bat I bought Bridgestone RE-71R's. So I think I've got some decent tires. I went staggered with 235/40-265/35 on my OEM 18" wheels. I've looked at the Turner Shim kit. I'd like to pull the pin, install the shim kit and get a precision alignment done and see how I like it. I also dropped my tire pressure down to 31-F/33-R although I did this after a hour drive at highway speeds, not wanting to drive on the highway that low. I guess next time I'll wait till after check in/Tech check and lower them right before the start to get a COLD temp setting. As I understand it, I was probably running too low at AX start time, but did not check the pressure before the start. I had done my first AX with the DSC on. I had always driven with it on and felt safer keeping it how I knew what to expect ( I had only owned the car for a month ). One week before last weeks event, I took down the pressure and took off the DSC, did some spirited driving, tried left foot braking ( just to experiment ) and I liked the feel of the car, got the rear end out a bit. So for my last run, I took the DSC off and had my best time of the day. I will no longer drive with it on, at the event. My brake pads are OEM and still have more than half, but I'm thinking on putting on Stoptech Street Performance to increase my stopping power over stock. I plan on moving up to HPDE ( that I can find allowable in the vert )

Two weeks ago I did the VT engine mounts, RE tranny mounts and CDV delete....LOVE IT !

Thanks for the responce, trying to learn more about this car and AutoX info in general. It is a lot of fun and I want to get better.

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 04-14-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #46
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Yeah, your not the first to tell me that my best mod is the "driver mod" Right off the bat I bought Bridgestone RE-71R's. So I think I've got some decent tires. I went staggered with 235/40-265/35 on my OEM 18" wheels. I've looked at the Turner Shim kit. I'd like to pull the pin, install the shim kit and get a precision alignment done and see how I like it. I also dropped my tire pressure down to 31-F/33-R although I did this after a hour drive at highway speeds, not wanting to drive on the highway that low. I guess next time I'll wait till after check in/Tech check and lower them right before the start to get a COLD temp setting. As I understand it, I was probably running too low at AX start time, but did not check the pressure before the start. I had done my first AX with the DSC on. I had always driven with it on and felt safer keeping it how I knew what to expect ( I had only owned the car for a month ). One week before last weeks event, I took down the pressure and took off the DSC, did some spirited driving, tried left foot braking ( just to experiment ) and I liked the feel of the car, got the rear end out a bit. So for my last run, I took the DSC off and had my best time of the day. I will no longer drive with it on, at the event. My brake pads are OEM and still have more than half, but I'm thinking on putting on Stoptech Street Performance to increase my stopping power over stock. I plan on moving up to HPDE ( that I can find allowable in the vert )

Two weeks ago I did the VT engine mounts, RE tranny mounts and CDV delete....LOVE IT !

Thanks for the responce, trying to learn more about this car and AutoX info in general. It is a lot of fun and I want to get better.
NASA, SCCA, and CHIN all allow Z4's in HPDE since they have the fixed roll hoops. BMWCCA ironically doesn't allow any soft top cars in their events regardless of the model. SCCA will be at Sebring on the Club Course in July and is having a novice class for that event. http://www.cfrpdx.com/ NASA will be at Sebring April 28-29 but I believe that event is full, but they'll be back there again in June. http://www.drivenasafl.com/sebring/
      04-15-2017, 05:57 AM   #47
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
BMWCCA was first one I researched for joining a club/going to driving schools this week. I was really disappointed to read that there are no verts allowed. I'd of liked to stayed with the BMW "family" thinking that the group would be better for getting more insight in particular to my car. I did look at all the SCCA info back in Dec, seems the broomstick test is used and I'm 6' tall, have my seat at the lowest setting and not sure I'd make it with a helmet. CHIN came highly recommended from Pete Fasotas who contacted me about buying my 240Z ( I put it in the classifieds on here last week ). He lives near me and is an instructor. DC do you know him ?

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 04-15-2017 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #48
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
BMWCCA was first one I researched for joining a club/going to driving schools this week. I was really disappointed to read that there are no verts allowed. I'd of liked to stayed with the BMW "family" thinking that the group would be better for getting more insight in particular to my car. I did look at all the SCCA info back in Dec, seems the broomstick test is used and I'm 6' tall, have my seat at the lowest setting and not sure I'd make it with a helmet. CHIN came highly recommended from Pete Fasotas who contacted me about buying my 240Z ( I put it in the classifieds on here last week ). He lives near me and is an instructor. DC do you know him ?
No, I don't believe I know Pete. You and I are about the same height and I've run in most of the SCCA PDX's so I don't think you'll have any issue. I've never yet seen them do the broomstick test for anyone that was "normal" height. If you get checked at an event and it's close you can move the seat forward and incline the seat back a bit to get lower in the car. Most people have their seat too far back anyway and have to move it forward to have the right distance from the pedals. Usually the very first thing the instructor has a student adjust.