ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Power pulleys for your superchared ride

DO NOT GET THEM!!! Ok this may be normal info for some but those who dont know now you do. I called up ESS and asked them about it and they said you will loose 1-2 lbs of boost.

So tid bit of info for ya
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Power Pulleys for NA S54s still a good investment then? I'm looking at doing this soon
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I had pullies on my 330ci and first impression was that rpm's climbed a little faster above 4,500. Felt a little more responsive but that could've been me just thinking that.

Really have no idea if they are worth it. Some people say they are and others say they aren't. Some dyno's show a gain or loss and others show nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Why would the power pulleys affect the supercharger at all if you're not touching the supercharger (assuming you're not changing out the supercharger's pulley)? The only issue that I see with the supercharger setup with the power pulleys is finding the correct drive belt.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Power Pulleys for NA S54s still a good investment then? I'm looking at doing this soon
Don't they claim a 10% improvement over stock? How much power do you think the accessories rob you of in the first place? No way it's more than 10. 10% of 10 is 1hp. I really don't see how they can be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Why would the power pulleys affect the supercharger at all if you're not touching the supercharger (assuming you're not changing out the supercharger's pulley)? The only issue that I see with the supercharger setup with the power pulleys is finding the correct drive belt.
they mess with the overall balance
      10-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Don't forget that they don't 'add power' they simply lose less power by merely reducing the parasitic power loss inherent in driving accessories off of the motive output of any reciprocating combustion drivetrain.
      10-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The pulleys from turner for the M54 engine replace the Water pump and alternator pulleys. The water pump pulley is the same size but the alternator pulley is the bigger one, b/c of the size difference it messes with the programming in your ECU for the SC pulley being used.

I used them on my MKV 2.0t GLI and it helped immensely, i felt the power come on sooner, so I believe they work but sense I've never had a SC i didnt know.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
Don't forget that they don't 'add power' they simply lose less power by merely reducing the parasitic power loss inherent in driving accessories off of the motive output of any reciprocating combustion drivetrain.
The size of the pulley and also weight effect that as well. If you have something lets say a steal drum or wheel 4 feet in diameter and you try to twist it, its going to be hard to turn. Now take 2 feet in diameter off of that and it will be easier to turn. I know that, that's a lot bigger and weighs more but the principle is still the same. Your engine will be allowed to spin quicker b/c of smaller and lighter pulleys putting less drag from the accessories.

Instead of them saying "Adding" 10-15 or what ever hp they should use freeing up 10-15 hp but that doesn't sound like something you tell people when you want them to buy something.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post
The size of the pulley and also weight effect that as well. If you have something lets say a steal drum or wheel 4 feet in diameter and you try to twist it, its going to be hard to turn. Now take 2 feet in diameter off of that and it will be easier to turn. I know that, that's a lot bigger and weighs more but the principle is still the same. Your engine will be allowed to spin quicker b/c of smaller and lighter pulleys putting less drag from the accessories.

Instead of them saying "Adding" 10-15 or what ever hp they should use freeing up 10-15 hp but that doesn't sound like something you tell people when you want them to buy something.
That's exactly what I thought. It frees up the power of the engine that is usually taken up by other things. It's like reducing powertrain loss, essentially, correct analogy?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

If it replaces the crank pulley with a smaller one you will lose boost, otherwise it has nothing to do with the supercharger.

The alternator pulley replacement does not gain power, the alternators drag is based of load.

Water pump and power steering you may gain some power, but it's not worth discussing. It's like an intake or anything else that gets you "5hp"; Who cars.
      10-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
But on the 04 Z its electrical power steering isnt it? So it doesn't have one. The Alternator pulley is smaller then the one from turner so wouldn't that make the pulley system tension change? It would be like adding a bigger or smaller one to something else.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
If it replaces the crank pulley with a smaller one you will lose boost, otherwise it has nothing to do with the supercharger.

The alternator pulley replacement does not gain power, the alternators drag is based of load.

Water pump and power steering you may gain some power, but it's not worth discussing. It's like an intake or anything else that gets you "5hp"; Who cars.
we cars!
      10-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

It something that is actually noticeable through the band. Not an urban myth that randomly shows up on dyno graphs
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
But on the 04 Z its electrical power steering isnt it? So it doesn't have one. The Alternator pulley is smaller then the one from turner so wouldn't that make the pulley system tension change? It would be like adding a bigger or smaller one to something else.
Pulley system tension has nothing to do with an increase or decrease in power, if functioning correctly. If you use smaller pullies you use smaller belts and the tension should remain the same.

Quote:
It something that is actually noticeable through the band. Not an urban myth that randomly shows up on dyno graphs
Sure, it does something, but it's still a waste of money. Most of what most people feel IS placebo.
      10-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Opps i didnt mean tension system and for the life of me I cant think of what I ment now. Either way, pulleys are a personal choice. O-Cha doesn't care for them and I believe in them, I've had em on my NA cars and my turbo jetta, both noticeable difference. Its really up to you. If you want to mod you car what does it hurt to try, you might be out a few bucks (like me) or you will be happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Opps i didnt mean tension system and for the life of me I cant think of what I ment now. Either way, pulleys are a personal choice. O-Cha doesn't care for them and I believe in them, I've had em on my NA cars and my turbo jetta, both noticeable difference. Its really up to you. If you want to mod you car what does it hurt to try, you might be out a few bucks (like me) or you will be happy.
What pulleys do you have?

Willing to sell?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The pulleys I have wont work for the M sorry. But got to Turner and search for em, they're pretty cheap (compared to others)
Appreciate 0